"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Half Baked

My wife usually buys a few to give.My daughters school always does a can drive too. Great way to clear the pantry and start over for the year.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Master Chef

I've never bought a "fresh" turkey. Only frozen. Even the time I experimented with a wild turkey, it was frozen. They are just so damned inexpensive. Around holiday time, when I had a freezer (I mean a chest one, aside from the one on my fridge), I would buy two because they'd get so inexpensive. Actually, I don't think I've ever eaten a fresh one. Maybe last year (I usually do Thanksgiving at my house, but last year we made an exception and went to friends'). Maybe I'm taster-deficient, but with any other meat I cannot really tell the difference between "fresh" and frozen. I put fresh in quotes, because in the case of most poultry, it really isn't something you'd call fresh ... take it home and find ice in the cavity.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Head Chef

Most poultry leaves the plant frozen. I think there is a limit to how cold they are supposed to get, but they are frozen hard, and then sold as fresh.

I can't tell the difference either, even with my own home butchered chickens.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Our Hutterite turkeys, chickens, ducks and geese only come in once a year unfrozen. About 4 days before Thanksgiving. Any that are not sold are frozen in-store. They are very local, within 100 miles.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Most poultry leaves the plant frozen. I think there is a limit to how cold they are supposed to get, but they are frozen hard, and then sold as fresh.

I can't tell the difference either, even with my own home butchered chickens.

Every year, around the holidays, tests demonstrate that people cannot tell the difference between frozen and fresh turkeys. So much depends on how it's prepared and cooked that fresh or frozen becomes moot.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I find the difference in the proportions of white to dark and the breast meat is not as dry in the fresh birds. The breast is not "over developed" in the turkeys I get. So, I guess my preference is for Natural raised instead of being raised for mass production. I am also able to get the size of bird I want, from humongous to small. Factory raised birds are all about the same size, within 5 pounds.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I find the difference in the proportions of white to dark and the breast meat is not as dry in the fresh birds. The breast is not "over developed" in the turkeys I get. So, I guess my preference is for Natural raised instead of being raised for mass production. I am also able to get the size of bird I want, from humongous to small. Factory raised birds are all about the same size, within 5 pounds.
The testing to compare fresh to frozen was probably done between major manufacturers rather than including any small producers. I agree they are not the same kind of bird.

Tags
None