"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Stuffing for chicken (and cooking it in general)

Hi all - I'm looking for a stuffing recipe for chicken. I'm about to cook the first whole chicken I have ever cooked. Going to bake it.

Here's my rub:

1 tsp each of:
black pepper
lemon pepper
cayenne pepper
chili powder
dry mustard
brown sugar

1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cinnamon and salt

It's a 3.88 lb fresh chicken (not frozen). Going to bake at 400 degrees for about 1.5 hours.

I read I'm supposed to remove the giblets but don't know what they are. Anything else? Would like to stuff it, have some wheat bread, onions, cranberries, garlic...I don't know!

Thanks so much!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sauté a bit of onion, celery and mushroom in some butter till soft and transparent. Add that to some cubed dried bread. Toss in your cranberries and a bit of chicken stock. Season with parsley, thyme, rosemary and sage. Stuff the cavity after you remove any body parts that my be hiding in there.

400 is a bit high. I'd do 350.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Head Chef

Here's a basic recipe. You can adjust to what you have.

I would probably cut this recipe in half to stuff a roaster. And just use chicken stock, till the stuffing is moistened.

Lee

P.S. The giblets are the organs and neck of the chicken, and usually come in a bag that's stuffed in the bird's cavity when you buy it. TAKE THEM OUT.

Poultry Stuffing

Ingredients:
3/4 c Butter
1 c Celery
1 c Onion
1 c Chicken stock
1 c Turkey gravy or stock
1 ts Sage
1 ts Thyme
1 ts poultry seasoning
1/2 ts garlic powder
1/4 c Parsley flakes
1 ts Salt
Pepper
Bread cubes

Directions:
Melt butter in a pan and saute onion and celery until cooked. Cube a loaf of day old bread and dry it, or use commercial bread or cornbread cubes and place in a large bowl. Toss vegetables and butter with the bread. Drizzle stock and gravy over the mixture to moisten it. Add seasonings, herbs and parsley Add more chicken stock and gravy until the mixture is sufficiently moist.. Taste and adjust seasoning. Many people add cooked breakfast sausage, chestnuts, pecans, cranberries or oysters for more flavor. Divide mixture into 2 casseroles and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, covered.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
TAKE THEM OUT.
But things will still turn out just fine if you can't quite locate them...or so I've heard!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Some people like to make chicken stock for gravy with the giblets. We cook them in a pan, let cool completely, and give them to our dog and cat.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

My basic stuffing is like VB's (though she got the herbs out of order <G>). I usually use more onion than celery and sometimes add fine diced carrot. Cranberries are a good addition; sausage is also good, especially with the mushrooms.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
(though she got the herbs out of order <G>).
In terms of syncopation - it still works

Old 12-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
In terms of syncopation - it still works
Good point! But just because it's metrically correct...
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Well that turned out pretty well. I put it in at 400 degrees for one hour in a dutch oven and then turned it down to 350 uncovered for the last half hour.

The stuffing was pretty mushy (I didn't end up using your recipe QSis - only because I ran out of time...will try it next time).

I had a bag of herbed stuffing and added onions, pecan peices, apples and the left over rub. I used chicken stock and sauteed the onions, pecan peices and apples then added the stuffing and soaked it.

I was going to use cranberries but I found a couple of apples in the fridge that needed to be used.

So, is the stuffing supposed to turn out so mushy? Can you put the stuffing in the bird without soaking it first?

Does/has anyone done stuffing without bread?

Thanks so much everyone! While I was preparing the chicken, I was thinking to myself 'why would anyone want to do this when you can just buy deboned chicken breasts?' Well, I got my answer, a much more flavorful, moist chicken. What a difference!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

What do you mean by "soaking it"? Stuffing is moist. Depending on how much chicken stock you use will depend on how moist it is. This sogginess is why some people opt to put their stuffing in a pie plate and bake. It gets crunchy/crispy on top and screams to be covered with gravy!

Glad the chicken turned out so moist! 1 1/2 hours seems like a VERY long time to cook such a small bird though. Maybe because it was stuffed it had to be cooked that long though.

Tags
None