Stuffing For Turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine goes in the bird (under the breast skin, neck, and butt). I put the rest in a casserole. I only stuff turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We generally eat turkey 1x/month from October until April. We buy turkey when it is on special in the fall and buy enough to eat it once/month until April (when it gets too warm to have the oven on long enough to roast a turkey). We prefer turkey instead of chicken (we have an issue re: eating chicken...)

Last edited:
If you put the stuffing in the bird make sure it comes to at least 165 or it's unsafe to eat. It would be like eating undercooked poultry.

If your bird is done before the stuffing, take it out and finish it up to temp in a casserole dish in the oven.

That's a good point Jennyema. Not sure how many of us do this. Although I think most of us are still alive. I check the meat w/ a thermometer, never have considered the stuffing.

I'm planning on roasting up a turkey next Sunday, & I usually make the same stuffing (bread, thyme, oregano, sage, enough butter to make it stick together)
I'd like to try something different though. I've tried cornbread stuffing in the past & thought it was too sweet to go well with the other flavours.

Suggestions?

I do a basic bread stuffing for turkey but here's my method - toast the bread and cut up in small cubes before mixing, it holds up better and doesn't get mushy. Lightly saute onions, celery and mushrooms in butter and add poultry seasoning to taste. Cook sage flavored pork sausage until no longer pink and add to stuffing. I take the giblets and cook with onion and celery to make stock and I use that to moisten the stuffing. The giblet liquid and butter from the onion/celery mixture is usually enough to moisten without getting soggy. Mix it all well and stuff it in the bird and cook for the recommended time. It's never failed me. :chef:

The stuffing has absorbed all the raw blood and juices from the turkey as well as all the bacteria from the cavity.

You dont want to be eating that if its not killed.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Bread stuffing for me. I used to sit on a stool and "help" Mom make it twice a year when I was little. I was her official taster and I still make the same amount in the same way, it's the only way it tastes right to me. Luckily Shrek likes it, too.

My mom would sit me at the dining table and I would toast a couple loaves of bread for the stuffing. I would then tear it up for her. This was back when you would have to let the toaster cool down or it would make terrible noise, so it would take a while!

Addie said:
Somewhere is my collection of recipes, I have one for stuffing bread. It has all the herbs and spices already in it. I will have to go looking for it. I have made it a couple of times. Good enough to eat just as bread. Already has the pre sauteed mir pouix (sp?) in it. I love the aroma of it while it is baking. :angel:

I made some last year and blogged about it. I used bells seasoning, and it was good. This would make great left over turkey sandwich!

Stuff it with a goat. Or maybe the turkey goes in the goat I can't remember anymore. Just try and see if it fits.

We stopped stuffing the turkey since we started brining. The "stuffing" has now become dressing. I prefer an herb dressing. The best part is the after dinner sandwich! Bread, mayo, turkey, dressing, jellied cranberry, S&P.:yum:

I made some last year and blogged about it. I used bells seasoning, and it was good. This would make great left over turkey sandwich!

Oh my. Will just have to try and find that recipe. That bread is so good. I have made it in the past. I do remember I sauteed the celery and carrots prior to mixing them in with the bread dough. I suppos if I just made my standard bread dough and winged it from there, I could do it again.

Oh my. Will just have to try and find that recipe. That bread is so good. I have made it in the past. I do remember I sauteed the celery and carrots prior to mixing them in with the bread dough. I suppos if I just made my standard bread dough and winged it from there, I could do it again.
Wing it, but take notes. :chef:

I always salt and rinse the inside cavity, pat it dry. That's how my grandma did it. I haven't gotten food poisoning or died yet. I've been eating turkey with stuffing going on 50 some years. Safe food handling practices are key. I also don't stuff the bird until it is time to pop it in the oven. Most of the time, however, I just roast the bird and don't stuff it. Stuffing is for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Not sure how many turkeys we'll buy this year--the lowest advertised price here is $1.27/lb. In the past, we could get utility grade turkeys around this time of year for 99 cents/lb. A reflection of the higher feed costs, gas, processing?

When my kids were small, one year I bought a turkey. It was $.49 a pound. Then Son #1 won one at the H.S. drawing. I knew the woman next door couldn't afford to buy one to feed her large family. And I also knew she was proud and wouldn't accept charity. So I sold it to her for $.10 a pound. It was a fifteen pounder. But I took the label off and told her it was a ten pounder. So she paid me the $1.00. :angel:

When my kids were small, one year I bought a turkey. It was $.49 a pound. Then Son #1 won one at the H.S. drawing. I knew the woman next door couldn't afford to buy one to feed her large family. And I also knew she was proud and wouldn't accept charity. So I sold it to her for $.10 a pound. It was a fifteen pounder. But I took the label off and told her it was a ten pounder. So she paid me the $1.00. :angel:
+1There is a star in heaven with your name on it!

+1There is a star in heaven with your name on it!

Thank you. I am a sucker for kids in need. I can't stand the thought of a hungry child. Or even missing out on a special holiday. That's why I give to the food bank every month. Cereal and a large jar or two of jelly so they can take a sandwich to school. The bank has plenty of peanut butter. I just wish I could convince some of the residents here to do the same occasionally. I would even deliver it for them. Even though the food bank is just a five minute walk away. :angel:

1. Bake loaf of bread adding sage, fresh oregano, thyme, fresh parsley chopped & poultry seasoning. The aroma of the bread will make the kitchen smell wonderful. This should be done a few days ahead of time.
2. Dice bread into 1/2 " cubes and dry for a few days. Toast in oven.
3. Fry up a diced large onion & a few stocks of celery in butter until translucent. In a large bowl add to bread cubes & mix with a tablespoon of poultry spice and turkey stock until moist.
4. Roast in oven at 325 to 350°F covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover & brown 15 minutes
5. The hit of the Turkey Dinner. MMM MMM good

I just took a white bread recipe and "winged" it! The house smelled wonderful! The next time, I make it I'll put in even more herbs, my SO is a stuffing fanatic!

I just took a white bread recipe and "winged" it! The house smelled wonderful! The next time, I make it I'll put in even more herbs, my SO is a stuffing fanatic!

I need a family so I can make this stuffing bread again. My daughter is not eating too much now. The chemo has already started to affect her appetite. We are having a Columbus Day Parade on Sunday. It is a big thing here. She always had a houseful of company and plenty of food. Not this year. But I think I will try to make something that will appeal to her. Maybe just a bowl of stuffing. She loves it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom