"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

One time/ actually several times since, I used quite a bit of fresh rosemary and oranze zest and juice, along with my usual go- to's for a bread stuffing. Both flavors came thru very nicely and it was quite tasty.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I need to perfect stuffing, I haven't made it enough to be really good at it. My partner absolutely loves stuffing, so I need to work on that. My problem is that I either make it too dry or too wet, I need to find that happy medium.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
I need to perfect stuffing, I haven't made it enough to be really good at it. My partner absolutely loves stuffing, so I need to work on that. My problem is that I either make it too dry or too wet, I need to find that happy medium.
I usually make it dry and baste it with poultry juices or stock as it cooks. Kind of like risotto I guess. That way not too dry or wet
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
One time/ actually several times since, I used quite a bit of fresh rosemary and oranze zest and juice, along with my usual go- to's for a bread stuffing. Both flavors came thru very nicely and it was quite tasty.
Of all the herbs for flavoring, rosemary and cilantro are my least favorite. Pine sap and soap. YUK!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm with Aunt Bea. I LOVE basic bread stuffing with celery and onions, maybe some mushrooms.
Me too, I saute the celery,onions,garlic then mix it into severl loaves of bakery bread that I've cut the crusts off of 2 white and 2 wheat. I know its a lot but m y gang like Stuffing. I cut up the bread, and douse it with chicken stock and several cubes of melted butter. The addition of fruits and apples is not for me but many love it so we give them several choices, cranberry sauce,applesauce form our trees out back, and desserts make up the rest of the fruit. So as you can see it's plain ol bread stuffing for this gang. I got this idea here on DC from one of our members. I use to make the breads but I've gotten past that now being ill has turned me off the making bread for stuffing since I have a great bakery close by.
kades
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Somewhere is my collection of recipes, I have one for stuffing bread. It has all the herbs and spices already in it. I will have to go looking for it. I have made it a couple of times. Good enough to eat just as bread. Already has the pre sauteed mir pouix (sp?) in it. I love the aroma of it while it is baking.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bread stuffing for me. I used to sit on a stool and "help" Mom make it twice a year when I was little. I was her official taster and I still make the same amount in the same way, it's the only way it tastes right to me. Luckily Shrek likes it, too.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Bread stuffing for me. I used to sit on a stool and "help" Mom make it twice a year when I was little. I was her official taster and I still make the same amount in the same way, it's the only way it tastes right to me. Luckily Shrek likes it, too.
We never leave our childhood completely behind us. Memories make sure of that.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have a recipe, but 3/4 c wild rice + 1/2 c white rice (or brown), barley, lentils. Celery, onion, apple, raisins, chopped cranberries, walnuts (or pecans), mushrooms, bread (4 slices--dried), parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, S&P, melted butter, some chicken broth. You want enough moisture so that the dressing forms a ball when you mix it all together.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

So now that we have the stuffing, do you put it in the bird or bake it separately. I do both. I always make extra because it is always the big hit of the meal. But I make a couple of roasted chickens. We don't like turkey.

Tags
other, turkey