"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Mine goes in the bird (under the breast skin, neck, and butt). I put the rest in a casserole. I only stuff turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We generally eat turkey 1x/month from October until April. We buy turkey when it is on special in the fall and buy enough to eat it once/month until April (when it gets too warm to have the oven on long enough to roast a turkey). We prefer turkey instead of chicken (we have an issue re: eating chicken...)

Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
Master Chef

If you put the stuffing in the bird make sure it comes to at least 165 or it's unsafe to eat. It would be like eating undercooked poultry.

If your bird is done before the stuffing, take it out and finish it up to temp in a casserole dish in the oven.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
Executive Chef

That's a good point Jennyema. Not sure how many of us do this. Although I think most of us are still alive. I check the meat w/ a thermometer, never have considered the stuffing.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I have two remote digital probes. I use one for the stuffing and one for the thickest part of the thigh.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I check both--the stuffing and the meat.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunkHippie View Post
I'm planning on roasting up a turkey next Sunday, & I usually make the same stuffing (bread, thyme, oregano, sage, enough butter to make it stick together)
I'd like to try something different though. I've tried cornbread stuffing in the past & thought it was too sweet to go well with the other flavours.

Suggestions?
I do a basic bread stuffing for turkey but here's my method - toast the bread and cut up in small cubes before mixing, it holds up better and doesn't get mushy. Lightly saute onions, celery and mushrooms in butter and add poultry seasoning to taste. Cook sage flavored pork sausage until no longer pink and add to stuffing. I take the giblets and cook with onion and celery to make stock and I use that to moisten the stuffing. The giblet liquid and butter from the onion/celery mixture is usually enough to moisten without getting soggy. Mix it all well and stuff it in the bird and cook for the recommended time. It's never failed me.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #27
Master Chef

The stuffing has absorbed all the raw blood and juices from the turkey as well as all the bacteria from the cavity.

You dont want to be eating that if its not killed.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Bread stuffing for me. I used to sit on a stool and "help" Mom make it twice a year when I was little. I was her official taster and I still make the same amount in the same way, it's the only way it tastes right to me. Luckily Shrek likes it, too.
My mom would sit me at the dining table and I would toast a couple loaves of bread for the stuffing. I would then tear it up for her. This was back when you would have to let the toaster cool down or it would make terrible noise, so it would take a while!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Somewhere is my collection of recipes, I have one for stuffing bread. It has all the herbs and spices already in it. I will have to go looking for it. I have made it a couple of times. Good enough to eat just as bread. Already has the pre sauteed mir pouix (sp?) in it. I love the aroma of it while it is baking.
I made some last year and blogged about it. I used bells seasoning, and it was good. This would make great left over turkey sandwich!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Stuff it with a goat. Or maybe the turkey goes in the goat I can't remember anymore. Just try and see if it fits.

Tags
other, turkey