"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #31
Executive Chef

We stopped stuffing the turkey since we started brining. The "stuffing" has now become dressing. I prefer an herb dressing. The best part is the after dinner sandwich! Bread, mayo, turkey, dressing, jellied cranberry, S&P.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I made some last year and blogged about it. I used bells seasoning, and it was good. This would make great left over turkey sandwich!
Oh my. Will just have to try and find that recipe. That bread is so good. I have made it in the past. I do remember I sauteed the celery and carrots prior to mixing them in with the bread dough. I suppos if I just made my standard bread dough and winged it from there, I could do it again.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh my. Will just have to try and find that recipe. That bread is so good. I have made it in the past. I do remember I sauteed the celery and carrots prior to mixing them in with the bread dough. I suppos if I just made my standard bread dough and winged it from there, I could do it again.
Wing it, but take notes.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I always salt and rinse the inside cavity, pat it dry. That's how my grandma did it. I haven't gotten food poisoning or died yet. I've been eating turkey with stuffing going on 50 some years. Safe food handling practices are key. I also don't stuff the bird until it is time to pop it in the oven. Most of the time, however, I just roast the bird and don't stuff it. Stuffing is for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Not sure how many turkeys we'll buy this year--the lowest advertised price here is $1.27/lb. In the past, we could get utility grade turkeys around this time of year for 99 cents/lb. A reflection of the higher feed costs, gas, processing?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

When my kids were small, one year I bought a turkey. It was $.49 a pound. Then Son #1 won one at the H.S. drawing. I knew the woman next door couldn't afford to buy one to feed her large family. And I also knew she was proud and wouldn't accept charity. So I sold it to her for $.10 a pound. It was a fifteen pounder. But I took the label off and told her it was a ten pounder. So she paid me the $1.00.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When my kids were small, one year I bought a turkey. It was $.49 a pound. Then Son #1 won one at the H.S. drawing. I knew the woman next door couldn't afford to buy one to feed her large family. And I also knew she was proud and wouldn't accept charity. So I sold it to her for $.10 a pound. It was a fifteen pounder. But I took the label off and told her it was a ten pounder. So she paid me the $1.00.
+1There is a star in heaven with your name on it!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
+1There is a star in heaven with your name on it!
Thank you. I am a sucker for kids in need. I can't stand the thought of a hungry child. Or even missing out on a special holiday. That's why I give to the food bank every month. Cereal and a large jar or two of jelly so they can take a sandwich to school. The bank has plenty of peanut butter. I just wish I could convince some of the residents here to do the same occasionally. I would even deliver it for them. Even though the food bank is just a five minute walk away.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

1. Bake loaf of bread adding sage, fresh oregano, thyme, fresh parsley chopped & poultry seasoning. The aroma of the bread will make the kitchen smell wonderful. This should be done a few days ahead of time.
2. Dice bread into 1/2 " cubes and dry for a few days. Toast in oven.
3. Fry up a diced large onion & a few stocks of celery in butter until translucent. In a large bowl add to bread cubes & mix with a tablespoon of poultry spice and turkey stock until moist.
4. Roast in oven at 325 to 350F covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover & brown 15 minutes
5. The hit of the Turkey Dinner. MMM MMM good
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I just took a white bread recipe and "winged" it! The house smelled wonderful! The next time, I make it I'll put in even more herbs, my SO is a stuffing fanatic!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I just took a white bread recipe and "winged" it! The house smelled wonderful! The next time, I make it I'll put in even more herbs, my SO is a stuffing fanatic!
I need a family so I can make this stuffing bread again. My daughter is not eating too much now. The chemo has already started to affect her appetite. We are having a Columbus Day Parade on Sunday. It is a big thing here. She always had a houseful of company and plenty of food. Not this year. But I think I will try to make something that will appeal to her. Maybe just a bowl of stuffing. She loves it.

Tags
other, turkey