Originally Posted by CWS4322
I don't have a recipe, but 3/4 c wild rice + 1/2 c white rice (or brown), barley, lentils. Celery, onion, apple, raisins, chopped cranberries, walnuts (or pecans), mushrooms, bread (4 slices--dried), parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, S&P, melted butter, some chicken broth. You want enough moisture so that the dressing forms a ball when you mix it all together.
Okay, I measured and wrote everything down.
My Grandma's Turkey Stuffing = my way
The rice base: (I make this the day before and put it in the fridge)
Ingredients for the rice base:
240 g Dried European Blend Mushrooms (http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/European%20Blend%20Mushrooms.htm)
(or not) - rehydrated in 500 ml warm water for 30 minutes
50 g pearl (or pot) barley
50 g lentils (I used regular lentils)
120 g long-grain brown rice
200 g natural wild rice
1000 ml water (use the water from the mushrooms and top it up or, if you don't add the mushrooms use turkey or chicken broth)
1 T celery leaves, fresh sage, rosemary, thyme, parsley - minced
1 tsp poultry seasoning (I use a homemade blend that includes lemon zest)
dash of soy sauce
1. Soak the mushrooms.
2. Rinse the rice, etc., until water run cleans (pick over lentils)
3. Put the water, herbs, seasoning, and soy sauce in a large pan.
4. Bring to boil.
5. Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add brown rice, simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Add barley and mushrooms, simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add lentils and simmer another 10-15 minutes (until liquid is absorbed).
9. Remove lid, fluff, and remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature.
Ingredients for the stuffing:
2-4 slices dried bread (not toasted--still a bit moist in the middle--this time I used the Turkey Stuffing Bread--I sliced it about 1 inch thick and left it out to dry 24 hours. This morning I put it in a 200 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, turning the oven off after 5 minutes)
1 stick butter, melted
1 c turkey or chicken stock
1-2 chopped apples (Granny Smith or MacIntosh)
1/2 to 3/4 c chopped cranberries (in FP)
1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts
1-1/2 c celery, chopped
1/2 c onion, diced
2-3 T (or more) of the chopped fresh herbs
poultry seasoning (to taste)
1. Saute 1-1/2 c chopped celery and 1/2 c chopped onion until the onion is limp.
2. Tear bread into chunks.
3. In a large bowl (I use a huge SS bowl), combine the celery, onion, bread, rice mixture, apples, cranberries, nuts. Add melted butter, blend (I do this with my hands). Add sufficient amount of stock for the stuffing to form a ball when you squeeze it in your hand.
4. Let cool to room temperature.
5. I use cheesecloth to line the cavity of the turkey. Fill the cavity, Tuck the loose ends of the cheese cloth around the stuffing. sew / skewer the opening closed.
6. Separate the skin from the breast meat. Stuff. Stuff the crop. Sew/skewer shut.
7. Roast as you usually do. When the turkey is done, test the temperature of the dressing. Remove the cheesecloth "pouch" and remove the stuffing. Serve.