Stuffing For Turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThePunkHippie

Assistant Cook
I'm planning on roasting up a turkey next Sunday, & I usually make the same stuffing (bread, thyme, oregano, sage, enough butter to make it stick together)
I'd like to try something different though. I've tried cornbread stuffing in the past & thought it was too sweet to go well with the other flavours.

Suggestions?

I'm planning on roasting up a turkey next Sunday, & I usually make the same stuffing (bread, thyme, oregano, sage, enough butter to make it stick together)
I'd like to try something different though. I've tried cornbread stuffing in the past & thought it was too sweet to go well with the other flavours.

Suggestions?
Chop some celery and onions and sauté until soft. Use stock to moisten. Add some plumped raisins. Add a lot of parsley.

Now that fall is here maybe adding some chopped apple, some Craisins and moistening it with a little apple cider might be nice.

I must admit that I have tried and enjoyed some of the "fancier" stuffing recipes but, I always come back to the basic bread stuffing for turkey and chicken.

Oyster stuffing, roasted chestnut stuffing, (chestnuts are not in season yet) giblet stuffing, minus the liver (instead of using the giblets for gravy), potato and sausage stuffing, different fruit stuffing, sausage and mushroom stuffing, rice and ...... stuffing. Just for a start. Stuffing can be anything you want it to be. You basically need a carb such as bread or rice to hold it together and anything you want to add to it. Seasoning is your choice. I do like what you use for your sage/bread stuffing. My mother (and now me) used to make a small amount of a different stuffing for the neck. It usually was a potato sausage stuffing. :angel:

I use my own recipe that I made went experimenting with stuffed chicken and it tastes great with turkey too. It's stove top savory herbs (and I actually don't cook the stuffing) I fluff it with marinade about 1/4 cup of any marinade with turkey I like to use the balsamic tomato basil from Kraft. Add a half a bag of spinach and about a half cup of cream cheese and mix until blended then stuff Tom up and cook the spinach wilts with the turkey juices and the stuffing doesn't burn it's great! We are cream cheese lovers so the cream cheese may be a little too much but it definatly melts in your mouth!

Where my husband is from they stuff poultry with rice not bread. Here is a delicious stuffing I have made alot;

Toasted pine nuts, raw ground beef, sautéed onions, parboiled long grain dice (cook with salt), allspice, drop of cinnamon, salt. Stuff! It's even better when u put it in the bottom of the roaring pan and it absorbs all the poultry drippings to cook the rice. Just baste it and cover with foil if it is getting overcooked

Aunt Bea said:
I must admit that I have tried and enjoyed some of the "fancier" stuffing recipes but, I always come back to the basic bread stuffing for turkey and chicken.

I'm with Aunt Bea. I LOVE basic bread stuffing with celery and onions, maybe some mushrooms. :yum:

The mother of all turkey stuffings:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Dressing[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cornbread (recipe follows)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 teaspoons olive oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 links (6 ounces) Italian sausage, without casing[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups finely chopped onion[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 bay leaf[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup diced celery[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup diced fennel bulb[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 teaspoon minced garlic[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ teaspoon poultry seasoning[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ teaspoon salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 large eggs, lightly beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To prepare stuffing, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and bay leaf; cook 8 minutes or until onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple, celery, and fennel; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Crumble corn bread into a large bowl. Add sausage mixture to bowl; toss to combine. Add broth and 2 eggs; toss to combine. Stuff the turkey. Spoon any remaining stufing into and appropriate size baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake for the last 50 minutes of the turkey roasting time, until top is crisp and golden brown. [/FONT]

Here's a cornbread you won't find too sweet:

Cornbread

Ingredients:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups yellow cornmeal [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ cups flour [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp salt [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp baking powder [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp baking soda [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 eggs, beaten [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs vegetable oil, for skillet [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups milk [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup melted butter [/FONT]
Preparation:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Preheat oven to 425°. Spread vegetable oil on the inside of a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven to preheat while making batter. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter. Combine with dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Batter will be like a thick pancake batter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Carefully, with heavy oven mitts, lift skillet out and turn to coat all of the inside surface with oil. Pour in batter and return to oven. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean. Allow to cool completely before using for stuffing. (I usually make my cornbread the night before)[/FONT]

Last edited:
One time/ actually several times since, I used quite a bit of fresh rosemary and oranze zest and juice, along with my usual go- to's for a bread stuffing. Both flavors came thru very nicely and it was quite tasty.

I need to perfect stuffing, I haven't made it enough to be really good at it. My partner absolutely loves stuffing, so I need to work on that. My problem is that I either make it too dry or too wet, I need to find that happy medium.

bakechef said:
I need to perfect stuffing, I haven't made it enough to be really good at it. My partner absolutely loves stuffing, so I need to work on that. My problem is that I either make it too dry or too wet, I need to find that happy medium.

I usually make it dry and baste it with poultry juices or stock as it cooks. Kind of like risotto I guess. That way not too dry or wet

One time/ actually several times since, I used quite a bit of fresh rosemary and oranze zest and juice, along with my usual go- to's for a bread stuffing. Both flavors came thru very nicely and it was quite tasty.

Of all the herbs for flavoring, rosemary and cilantro are my least favorite. Pine sap and soap. YUK! :wacko::angel:

I'm with Aunt Bea. I LOVE basic bread stuffing with celery and onions, maybe some mushrooms. :yum:
Me too, I saute the celery,onions,garlic then mix it into severl loaves of bakery bread that I've cut the crusts off of 2 white and 2 wheat. I know its a lot but m y gang like Stuffing. I cut up the bread, and douse it with chicken stock and several cubes of melted butter. The addition of fruits and apples is not for me but many love it so we give them several choices, cranberry sauce,applesauce form our trees out back, and desserts make up the rest of the fruit. So as you can see it's plain ol bread stuffing for this gang. I got this idea here on DC from one of our members. I use to make the breads but I've gotten past that now being ill has turned me off the making bread for stuffing since I have a great bakery close by.
kades

Somewhere is my collection of recipes, I have one for stuffing bread. It has all the herbs and spices already in it. I will have to go looking for it. I have made it a couple of times. Good enough to eat just as bread. Already has the pre sauteed mir pouix (sp?) in it. I love the aroma of it while it is baking. :angel:

Bread stuffing for me. I used to sit on a stool and "help" Mom make it twice a year when I was little. I was her official taster and I still make the same amount in the same way, it's the only way it tastes right to me. Luckily Shrek likes it, too.

Bread stuffing for me. I used to sit on a stool and "help" Mom make it twice a year when I was little. I was her official taster and I still make the same amount in the same way, it's the only way it tastes right to me. Luckily Shrek likes it, too.

We never leave our childhood completely behind us. Memories make sure of that. :angel:

I don't have a recipe, but 3/4 c wild rice + 1/2 c white rice (or brown), barley, lentils. Celery, onion, apple, raisins, chopped cranberries, walnuts (or pecans), mushrooms, bread (4 slices--dried), parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, S&P, melted butter, some chicken broth. You want enough moisture so that the dressing forms a ball when you mix it all together.

So now that we have the stuffing, do you put it in the bird or bake it separately. I do both. I always make extra because it is always the big hit of the meal. But I make a couple of roasted chickens. We don't like turkey. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom