"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Jeebus, Cheryl, me too!

I still do not understand this cornbread stuffing thing. What an unusual thing to do.

My dear MIL makes an oyster dressing. It tastes like stuff I cough up after smoking too many cigs.
My small family goes for the same type of dressing you mentioned (no cornbread for them, either) year after year....Mrs. Cubbison's seasoned bread cubes, poultry seasoning, chicken broth, lots of butter, celery and onions. Oh, and chopped fresh parsley and sage.

They would look at me like I grew another head if I ever added oysters to it.

I would love to try di's posted recipe with a couple of Cornish game hens, just for me. Yum.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Exactly. Walnuts in stuffing interest me, I'll have to give those a shot!

I adore day-after-Thanksgiving casserole!

I think the cornbread stuffing is a southern thing. I have no issue with cornbread by itself, but in my opinion, it has no place by my turkey and gravy.
After I cook the meal I am usually to tired to eat much at dinner. So after everything is put away in fridge dessert served and dishes done I look forward to my late after dinner turkey sandwich.

I love nice buttered piece of cornbread but as stuffing it is to soft for me. It tastes more like pudding to me. I guess its texture is not appealing to me.

Quote:
Jeebus, Cheryl, me too!

I still do not understand this cornbread stuffing thing. What an unusual thing to do.

My dear MIL makes an oyster dressing. It tastes like stuff I cough up after smoking too many cigs.
OMG LOL My mother called those clams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Yeah, another thing I haven't found in the move.... Some of you guys here have been trying to convince me these newfangled digital thermometers are awesome, and they sound like it.

I might bite the bullet and buy one for this year. I want everything to go right.

First time I have ever done the Dinner at my place, even though it is only four people, Father in Law, Mom, Beloved Wife and I it feels very important.

Still searching for my beloved very beat up thermometer, had that from my first restaurant job. (achem. Ernie's Sandwich Shop, Sesame Place Amusement Park, outside of Philly).

TBS
I cook for 4 people on the holidays also.

My DD got me a new thermometer.

It's a Lavatools Javelin >> https://www.google.com/search?q=lava...G1dgvfmfWNM%3A

I love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	25674

msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post

It's a Lavatools Javelin
I love it.
Shiny. I had a simple probe thermometer, somehow got lost in the move, it is a shame, that was with me in a lot of restaurant jobs.

Heard the new ones are faster, more accurate, better altogether.

TBS
Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
After I cook the meal I am usually to tired to eat much at dinner. So after everything is put away in fridge dessert served and dishes done I look forward to my late after dinner turkey sandwich.

I love nice buttered piece of cornbread but as stuffing it is to soft for me. It tastes more like pudding to me. I guess its texture is not appealing to me.

OMG LOL My mother called those clams.

It's a Lavatools Javelin >> https://www.google.com/search?q=lava...G1dgvfmfWNM%3A

I love it.

Attachment 25674
Thanks for mentioning that, msmofet. The display on my instant-read thermometer is starting to fade. I think it's time for a new one.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks for mentioning that, msmofet. The display on my instant-read thermometer is starting to fade. I think it's time for a new one.
Is the thermometer sealed? Can you not just change the battery?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:19 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Errata corrige - mea culpa! It was supposed to be 6 oz ground pork, not 60!
It could just as easily be ground chicken or turkey, I'd use the brown meat if I was doing that.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Errata corrige - mea culpa! It was supposed to be 6 oz ground pork, not 60!
No harm, no fowl! I think most of us figured that out. Not to worry.

How are you feeling?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I'm in the more traditional poultry herb (sage, thyme, marjoram) stuffing camp. There are ways to modify it without changing the entire flavor profile, but it's that base flavor that makes a stuffing "right" for me. As with most things, it has a lot to do with what I grew up with, and Thanksgiving just isn't quite complete without the "right" stuffing. I know that in other areas, there are other flavorings that are "right".

I've made a wild mushroom dressing that is cooked outside of the bird, and it's a 4 star dish (just my opinion, of course). Takes some time, and it's not cheap if the recipe is followed exactly. The mixed wild mushrooms can drain the checking account quickly - recipe calls for fresh, but I have no clue where I'd find them. The wild mushrooms I use are all dried. I usually substitute a lot of button, cremini, baby bellas, then a good dose of reconstituted porcini mushrooms for the earthy flavor they contribute. I've made this several times, usually as my contribution when invited to someone's house for the holiday. One nice thing about it is that it can be constructed the day before, then just popped in the oven to cook on the holiday.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You'll have to post the recipe, RP.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
You'll have to post the recipe, RP.
I linked it in my post above.

Tags
chicken, recipe, stuffing, turkey

Stuffings for turkey and chicken The last time I posted a stuffing recipe, I think it might have been on the turkey thread. The other day I came across (when I say 'came across', I mean I was litereally walking past it for weeks on my desk, and I didn't look at it twice) but now I'm thinking of Christmas, I'm also thinking of Christmas menus etc. The recipe caught my eye, and after so many years of thinking 'Italian is best', I thought 'Mmmmm', this could be good. I made it today, and the aromas are very appealing. I think it could be a winner, so here it is: Orange and pork stuffing: for a 2lb chicken Clean the bird in salted water for 20 mins then dry it off. 60 oz minced pork , lean and fat 3 - 6 oz fresh grated fresh bread 3 - 6oz ground almonds 1 tbsp soaked raisins 1 small onion chopped by hand together with 2 cloves garlic Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange 1 1/2 tsp of 'quatre epices' ' cloves, cinnamon. nutmeg, allspice) Pinch of freshly chopped mixed herbs juice and rind of one medium orange Mix all the ingredients together, stuff the bird, roast it, enjoy the aromas, and enjoy the meal. Usual accompaniments. di reston (I've got my computer with me in the hospital - you keep me cheerful) Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde 6oz minced pork 3 stars 1 reviews