Stuffings for turkey and chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never heard warnings about the dressing in turkey (or chicken) other than NEVER leaving it in there after cooking. (Actually was never a problem in our house as it was usually gone before dessert arrived.)

I'm beginning to think it comes about from people now adding raw meats (sausage) milk products and eggs. I don't remember any one using those for the original turkey.

It's been pretty common in the South for many years to add sausage or oysters to turkey stuffing.

Salmonella is carried in turkeys just as it is in chickens, so it can be transferred from the turkey to stuffing as soon as it's put in, and then the turkey juices, containing the salmonella, can migrate through the stuffing. If the cook then doesn't bring the temperature high enough to kill salmonella, it can be dangerous to eat.

The thing is, many people don't actually recognize mild food poisoning, or accept it for what it is. No one wants to think they made their friends or family sick and people are masters of rationalization and denial.

Last edited:
I've always put eggs into my stuffing. That's how my Mom did it, so that's how I do it too! Our leftovers are put away before we cut pie, but my Mom would leave dinner out all afternoon and evening for picking and for anyone who stopped over and pulled on some turkey meat or got a small plate of something. No one ever got sick. Hmm. Maybe constitutions were just better back then, or maybe the "raw" ingredients were fresher and safer. Or maybe no one gave a thought when they made multiple trips to the bathroom the next day...:whistling:

I would say a good majority of people have suffered from food poisoning at one time or another.
As GG & CG mention it is usually very mild and quite probably unnoticed.
For the young and elderly thou it could be a completely different story.

I have one vivid memory-
Ate some dry cured sausage once that was a slight different colour on the edge - stupid me, I sort of wondered at the time. But it tasted fine and I enjoyed it.

Middle of the night, I sat straight up in bed, and a projectile stream clear across the bed told me I had been a fool.

Someone was smiling on me thou - that was the end of it - I was fine, no after effects.

Did have to change the bed in the middle of the night thou. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

...The thing is, many people don't actually recognize mild food poisoning, or accept it for what it is. No one wants to think they made their friends or family sick and people are masters of rationalization and denial.

How many times have you heard someone say (or said yourself) that you had a stomach flu?? No such thing. It was probably food poisoning.

I've had it before and doctor gave long boring explanation, viral part is all I remember. Food poisoning is somehow is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

My mother used to also make a mashed potato (minus cream) stuffing for the neck cavity with the traditional N.E. seasonings. Some years she would put roasted chestnuts or oysters in with it. When the bird was done, the first thing she did was did out both stuffings and save the potato one for me and me alone. My father hated oysters and chestnuts. My sister hated just the oysters. So the years when she put both in, the stuffing was all mine.

As it will just be me and DW for this year's Thanksgiving, my stuffing will be bread cubes, turkey broth, neck meat, giblets, celery, onion, and maybe some pecans to add texture. seasonings will be sage, thyme, salt, pepper. After all is mixed and tastes just right, I will fold in a beaten egg, and bake in a casserole dish.

For the church pot luck this coming Sunday, my assigned dishes are mashed rutabagas, and dressing. It will be the same as above, but without the giblets.

I hope there's lots of gravy as the person assigned the turkey is bringing a deep-fried turkey. Heard that they are delicious. In the past, I always brought the turkey, smoked in the Webber and re-heated to 145 in its own drippings, to serve. I know it's juicy and tender.

This will be the first time ever that it's just me and DW. We'lll see how it goes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Duck fat my friends, lets talk about pure duck. Gosh. Darn. FAT!

Sausage and Apple Stuffing Recipe | King Arthur Flour

So I had a dinner party on Tuesday, and cooked a duck, got a great duck dinner, messed up my oven something fierce, good conversation, and... pint of duck fat.

So above is the basic stuffing recipe I'm doing, not using sausage, apples adding walnuts. Already made the bread for the bread crumbs, my sourdough bread. Substitute any oil butter for duck fat, maybe 1 tsp extra that sausage is fattier than nuts.
https://goo.gl/photos/jVZZAJLNbMo663NH8

TBS

Snack alert! Dressing In a Cup (for cold days when you come in from shoveling).

This is a hot drink that can be repurposed, and it is delicious.

Ingredients:
1 cup cold water
1 tsp. Better Than Bullion Turkey Soup Base
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
Ping of ginger
5 twists from a pepper grinder (Yeh, I like black pepper)

In a microwave safe cup, bring water to a boil (heat on high about 3 minutes) Stir in remaining ingredients and let sit for 1 minute. Enjoy. Tastes just like like turkey dressing, but like a good broth. Made this hot broth today, to warm me up. It was much better than I expected. I was hoping for something tasty and hot. This beat my expectations.

To alter, add dried bread crumbs, or croutons, or remove the seasoning packet from ramen noodles and add to the cup. You might even want to slice some celery and a nit of onion to cook in with the water as it's heating, the the other ingredients plus croutons to make a very quick and tasty dressing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom