"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2016, 04:55 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother used to also make a mashed potato (minus cream) stuffing for the neck cavity with the traditional N.E. seasonings. Some years she would put roasted chestnuts or oysters in with it. When the bird was done, the first thing she did was did out both stuffings and save the potato one for me and me alone. My father hated oysters and chestnuts. My sister hated just the oysters. So the years when she put both in, the stuffing was all mine.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I've had it before and doctor gave long boring explanation, viral part is all I remember. Food poisoning is somehow is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Food poisoning is a bacterial infection

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Food poisoning is a bacterial infection
Viruses, bacteria and parasites all can cause food poisoning. Bacteria is the most common.

http://www.healthline.com/health/food-poisoning#Causes2
Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Viruses, bacteria and parasites all can cause food poisoning. Bacteria is the most common.

Food Poisoning: Types, Symptoms, & Treatment

Yes you're right but viral food poisoning usually starts with an infected food handler which passes it on. I was thinking of the raw turkey juice contaminating the stuffing.

Good link
Old 11-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Yes you're right but viral food poisoning usually starts with an infected food handler which passes it on. I was thinking of the raw turkey juice contaminating the stuffing.

Good link
Gotcha. I got to thinking more broadly as the conversation went on.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #56
Master Chef

As it will just be me and DW for this year's Thanksgiving, my stuffing will be bread cubes, turkey broth, neck meat, giblets, celery, onion, and maybe some pecans to add texture. seasonings will be sage, thyme, salt, pepper. After all is mixed and tastes just right, I will fold in a beaten egg, and bake in a casserole dish.

For the church pot luck this coming Sunday, my assigned dishes are mashed rutabagas, and dressing. It will be the same as above, but without the giblets.

I hope there's lots of gravy as the person assigned the turkey is bringing a deep-fried turkey. Heard that they are delicious. In the past, I always brought the turkey, smoked in the Webber and re-heated to 145 in its own drippings, to serve. I know it's juicy and tender.

This will be the first time ever that it's just me and DW. We'lll see how it goes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #57
Sous Chef

Duck fat my friends, lets talk about pure duck. Gosh. Darn. FAT!

Sausage and Apple Stuffing Recipe | King Arthur Flour

So I had a dinner party on Tuesday, and cooked a duck, got a great duck dinner, messed up my oven something fierce, good conversation, and... pint of duck fat.

So above is the basic stuffing recipe I'm doing, not using sausage, apples adding walnuts. Already made the bread for the bread crumbs, my sourdough bread. Substitute any oil butter for duck fat, maybe 1 tsp extra that sausage is fattier than nuts.
https://goo.gl/photos/jVZZAJLNbMo663NH8

TBS
Old 11-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Duck fat my friends, lets talk about pure duck. Gosh. Darn. FAT!

TBS
I am so jealous. I wish I could find duck here in MN. Kosher duck is not available. And one time in the last 15 years I saw it, it was prohibitively expensive.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #59
Master Chef

Snack alert! Dressing In a Cup (for cold days when you come in from shoveling).

This is a hot drink that can be repurposed, and it is delicious.

Ingredients:
1 cup cold water
1 tsp. Better Than Bullion Turkey Soup Base
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
Ping of ginger
5 twists from a pepper grinder (Yeh, I like black pepper)

In a microwave safe cup, bring water to a boil (heat on high about 3 minutes) Stir in remaining ingredients and let sit for 1 minute. Enjoy. Tastes just like like turkey dressing, but like a good broth. Made this hot broth today, to warm me up. It was much better than I expected. I was hoping for something tasty and hot. This beat my expectations.

To alter, add dried bread crumbs, or croutons, or remove the seasoning packet from ramen noodles and add to the cup. You might even want to slice some celery and a nit of onion to cook in with the water as it's heating, the the other ingredients plus croutons to make a very quick and tasty dressing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Hooo Chief!! Marked and noted! wow, sounds fantastic!

Tags
chicken, recipe, stuffing, turkey

Stuffings for turkey and chicken The last time I posted a stuffing recipe, I think it might have been on the turkey thread. The other day I came across (when I say 'came across', I mean I was litereally walking past it for weeks on my desk, and I didn't look at it twice) but now I'm thinking of Christmas, I'm also thinking of Christmas menus etc. The recipe caught my eye, and after so many years of thinking 'Italian is best', I thought 'Mmmmm', this could be good. I made it today, and the aromas are very appealing. I think it could be a winner, so here it is: Orange and pork stuffing: for a 2lb chicken Clean the bird in salted water for 20 mins then dry it off. 60 oz minced pork , lean and fat 3 - 6 oz fresh grated fresh bread 3 - 6oz ground almonds 1 tbsp soaked raisins 1 small onion chopped by hand together with 2 cloves garlic Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange 1 1/2 tsp of 'quatre epices' ' cloves, cinnamon. nutmeg, allspice) Pinch of freshly chopped mixed herbs juice and rind of one medium orange Mix all the ingredients together, stuff the bird, roast it, enjoy the aromas, and enjoy the meal. Usual accompaniments. di reston (I've got my computer with me in the hospital - you keep me cheerful) Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde 6oz minced pork 3 stars 1 reviews