Stuffings for turkey and chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeebus, Cheryl, me too!

I still do not understand this cornbread stuffing thing. What an unusual thing to do.

My dear MIL makes an oyster dressing. It tastes like stuff I cough up after smoking too many cigs.

My small family goes for the same type of dressing you mentioned (no cornbread for them, either) year after year....Mrs. Cubbison's seasoned bread cubes, poultry seasoning, chicken broth, lots of butter, celery and onions. Oh, and chopped fresh parsley and sage.

They would look at me like I grew another head if I ever added oysters to it. :ermm::LOL:

I would love to try di's posted recipe with a couple of Cornish game hens, just for me. Yum.

Last edited:
Exactly. Walnuts in stuffing interest me, I'll have to give those a shot!

I adore day-after-Thanksgiving casserole!

I think the cornbread stuffing is a southern thing. I have no issue with cornbread by itself, but in my opinion, it has no place by my turkey and gravy.

After I cook the meal I am usually to tired to eat much at dinner. So after everything is put away in fridge dessert served and dishes done I look forward to my late after dinner turkey sandwich.

I love nice buttered piece of cornbread but as stuffing it is to soft for me. It tastes more like pudding to me. I guess its texture is not appealing to me.

Jeebus, Cheryl, me too!

I still do not understand this cornbread stuffing thing. What an unusual thing to do.

My dear MIL makes an oyster dressing. It tastes like stuff I cough up after smoking too many cigs.

OMG LOL :ROFLMAO: :LOL: My mother called those clams.

Yeah, another thing I haven't found in the move.... Some of you guys here have been trying to convince me these newfangled digital thermometers are awesome, and they sound like it.

I might bite the bullet and buy one for this year. I want everything to go right.

First time I have ever done the Dinner at my place, even though it is only four people, Father in Law, Mom, Beloved Wife and I it feels very important.

Still searching for my beloved very beat up thermometer, had that from my first restaurant job. (achem. Ernie's Sandwich Shop, Sesame Place Amusement Park, outside of Philly).

TBS

I cook for 4 people on the holidays also.

My DD got me a new thermometer.

It's a Lavatools Javelin >> https://www.google.com/search?q=lav...AUICSgD&biw=320&bih=460#imgrc=N6pG1dgvfmfWNM:

I love it.

IMG_1482.jpg

It's a Lavatools Javelin
I love it.

Shiny. I had a simple probe thermometer, somehow got lost in the move, it is a shame, that was with me in a lot of restaurant jobs.

Heard the new ones are faster, more accurate, better altogether.

TBS

After I cook the meal I am usually to tired to eat much at dinner. So after everything is put away in fridge dessert served and dishes done I look forward to my late after dinner turkey sandwich.

I love nice buttered piece of cornbread but as stuffing it is to soft for me. It tastes more like pudding to me. I guess its texture is not appealing to me.

OMG LOL :ROFLMAO: :LOL: My mother called those clams.

It's a Lavatools Javelin >> https://www.google.com/search?q=lav...AUICSgD&biw=320&bih=460#imgrc=N6pG1dgvfmfWNM:

I love it.

View attachment 25674

Thanks for mentioning that, msmofet. The display on my instant-read thermometer is starting to fade. I think it's time for a new one.

Errata corrige - mea culpa! It was supposed to be 6 oz ground pork, not 60!
It could just as easily be ground chicken or turkey, I'd use the brown meat if I was doing that.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I'm in the more traditional poultry herb (sage, thyme, marjoram) stuffing camp. There are ways to modify it without changing the entire flavor profile, but it's that base flavor that makes a stuffing "right" for me. As with most things, it has a lot to do with what I grew up with, and Thanksgiving just isn't quite complete without the "right" stuffing. I know that in other areas, there are other flavorings that are "right".

I've made a wild mushroom dressing that is cooked outside of the bird, and it's a 4 star dish (just my opinion, of course). Takes some time, and it's not cheap if the recipe is followed exactly. The mixed wild mushrooms can drain the checking account quickly - recipe calls for fresh, but I have no clue where I'd find them. The wild mushrooms I use are all dried. I usually substitute a lot of button, cremini, baby bellas, then a good dose of reconstituted porcini mushrooms for the earthy flavor they contribute. I've made this several times, usually as my contribution when invited to someone's house for the holiday. One nice thing about it is that it can be constructed the day before, then just popped in the oven to cook on the holiday.

clic on "wild mushroom" it's a link and will take you to the recipe.

It sounds delish. I'm certainly putting it on my list!

argh.. I forgot to press 'post'... reach over Dawg and give me a slap too

Last edited:
OK. We will have dual slaps, dragn.

This interests me, Charlie. It sounds like a nice entree too.

Last edited:
First of all, di, I hope you're doing well. Wishing you a quick recovery.

...I'm enjoying the recipes and ideas! I'm a purist. No cornbread, no sausage, just a lot of poultry seasoning, white bread chunks, a bit of chicken broth, and butter, celery, and onion.
I'm boring. I like using loaf bread, not packaged cubes. I do use a gamut of white breads, not just sandwich white. Depends on what I have on hand as leftover from toast/sandwiches. I especially like unstuffing made with Challah, or hamburger or hot dog buns. The buns need to be mixed with another sturdier bread, though, or it makes the final product a bit gummy. Whenever we get together with my SIL and her hubby, there is inside stuffing and outside stuffing. If I'm cooking for just the two of us, always in a dish - a BIG one!

di, the recipe looks delicious! Still wouldn't use it for stuffing a bird, but perhaps a pork loin a la porchetta style. Or a meatloaf! Would need to double everything for that, though. Thanks for sharing.

OK. We will have dual slaps, dragn.

This interests me, Charlie. It sounds like a nice entree too.

It is, for kosher reason, I cannot add cheese, but even without cheese it is awesome. I can eat it straight, no need for turkey, chicken or even gravy.

I never heard warnings about the dressing in turkey (or chicken) other than NEVER leaving it in there after cooking. (Actually was never a problem in our house as it was usually gone before dessert arrived.)

I'm beginning to think it comes about from people now adding raw meats (sausage) milk products and eggs. I don't remember any one using those for the original turkey. Later years, of course, when extra dressings were made and those were almost always cooked separate. Still don't remember egg or milk being added, but... I was not the cook.

Liquid was always chicken broth, being only enuf to moisten the day old bread and the excess being supplied by the bird. The bread was day old or a bit more but not dry completely, hence moisture to some degree was already there. Onions, celery, apples also had moisture to add.

Never 'packed' in either, very loose. Just saying.

I never heard warnings about the dressing in turkey (or chicken) other than NEVER leaving it in there after cooking. (Actually was never a problem in our house as it was usually gone before dessert arrived.)

I'm beginning to think it comes about from people now adding raw meats (sausage) milk products and eggs. I don't remember any one using those for the original turkey. Later years, of course, when extra dressings were made and those were almost always cooked separate. Still don't remember egg or milk being added, but... I was not the cook.

Liquid was always chicken broth, being only enuf to moisten the day old bread and the excess being supplied by the bird. The bread was day old or a bit more but not dry completely, hence moisture to some degree was already there. Onions, celery, apples also had moisture to add.
Never 'packed' in either, very loose. Just saying.

In bird stuffing runs risk of the stuffing and bird not being fully cooked and can lead to food poisoning.

You may like to read these >>How stuffing the turkey can be a recipe for food poisoning | Daily Mail Online

To Stuff or Not to Stuff: a Thanksgiving Turkey Dilemma | Epicurious.com | Epicurious.com

Thanks msm, I will read those.
I guess thou, maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Of course I have heard of all these NOW - I'm saying .. way back when..

Again, of course the chances are much greater when the bird is not fully cooked, I think that goes pretty much without saying - but then it is not just the stuffing that is dangerous is it? .. it's the bird itself!

I also think that nowadays frozen birds are pretty much the given. (Price of fresh birds is astronomical - and I raised my own!) Way back when frozen birds were not all that common. There are so many mitigating circumstances that could lead to unsafe birds I'm not even going to go there. Suffice it to say, I know of no one in my (fairly large) family that suffered from food poisoning during the holidays - believe me - grandma would have known! and so by hook or by gossip, would have everyone else :LOL:

Sorry, guess I'm showing my age... :ermm: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom