Stuffings for turkey and chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
The last time I posted a stuffing recipe, I think it might have been on the turkey thread. The other day I came across (when I say 'came across', I mean I was litereally walking past it for weeks on my desk, and I didn't look at it twice) but now I'm thinking of Christmas, I'm also thinking of Christmas menus etc. The recipe caught my eye, and after so many years of thinking 'Italian is best', I thought 'Mmmmm', this could be good. I made it today, and the aromas are very appealing. I think it could be a winner, so here it is:

Orange and pork stuffing: for a 2lb chicken

Clean the bird in salted water for 20 mins then dry it off.

60 oz minced pork , lean and fat
3 - 6 oz fresh grated fresh bread
3 - 6oz ground almonds
1 tbsp soaked raisins
1 small onion chopped by hand together with 2 cloves garlic
Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange
1 1/2 tsp of 'quatre epices' ' cloves, cinnamon. nutmeg, allspice)
Pinch of freshly chopped mixed herbs
juice and rind of one medium orange

Mix all the ingredients together, stuff the bird, roast it, enjoy the aromas, and enjoy the meal. Usual accompaniments.

di reston (I've got my computer with me in the hospital - you keep me cheerful)

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

6oz minced pork

60 oz. of ground pork stuffed into a 2-pound chicken? I doubt I could find a two-pound chicken, but that seems like a lot.

Last edited:
yummm di - that sounds really tasty

I don't understand the 3 - 6 oz. of the bread and almonds.

3 x 6 oz = 18 oz ?

Aside from the recipe - Thinking of you!

Here's a hug to keep you company in the hospital
img_1487341_0_df4795a5e348d922a7a4b8c558dbfb75.gif

This is unlike any stuffing recipe I've seen, but it does sound good. Thanks, di! And another virtual hug for you! Keep fighting the good fight!

You're quite - quantities a bit to pot, as we say in England!

Here we go again: 6 oz minced pork
2oz finely chopped bacon, fat and lean
3 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
3 oz ground almonds
1 small onion chopped fine, or, a shallot
1 large clove garlic, chopped fine
juice and grated zest of a medium sized orange
1 pinch 'quatres èpices', a French type of mixed spice: equal quantities of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and I put in a pinch of allspice as well
Juice and grated zest of one orange about the size of a tennis ball
1/2 teaspoon of traditional mixed herbs, or just thyme
salt and pepper.
1 tbsp raisins, washed and soaked in warm water.

Mince the pork and bacon together, add all the other ingredients and mix really well. This unlikely mix of ingredients produces a delicious stuffing, and, surprisingly, the flavours all work well together. I can't for the life of me think where I got it from, but I know it was in France. I've got it right this time, and I think it's well worth considering, but before you do it with a turkey, try it first with a chicken.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde.

Off to the hospital tomorrow.

This sounds delicious, di. Thank you for sharing. I bet it would also be delicious with dried cranberries or cherries instead of raisins. :yum:
And best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
With the almonds and orange, it sounds a bit Spanish to me. If only DH would eat almonds. I might have to save it for a time when he's out of town :LOL:

Btw, just checking - one orange or two? ;)

Hope everything goes well :)

We'll all sneak over to GG's house when her DH is out of town...

My DH is a traditionalist, and probably wouldn't eat it either, but it does sound lovely!

Just one orange, about the size of a tennis ball. Believe it or not, it's enough moisture to bind the stuffing together, and it doesn't overpower the flavour of the stuffing. You can leave out the ground almonds if you don't like them. I particularly like the flavour of the 'quatres èpices', it's like mixed spice, but obviously you can adjust quantities there to your liking. When I did it today. Breadcrumbs and ground almonds to suit the size of the bird. The flavouir of the raisins is hardly discernible, although there, and I find the whole thing very moreish, and so did Pete, my OH, and he is ooooh so traditionalist. On the whole, I would definitely do it again, especially with turkey. As it's just the two of us, it would have to be turkey breast rolls filled with the stuffing.

Be back soon, love to you all

di

Mom used to make the most varied stuffings. As there was not only the 7 of us, there were, Aunts & Uncles, cousins, Grandparents, etc etc etc. So a few dishes of stuffings or dressing were required. Traditional (especially for the picky kids, like me) and then at least 2 other kinds with amazing things added in. They were always bread based, but seasonings and add-ins changed all the time. Oysters was the one that grossed me out. I could eat them fresh but not cooked or canned, as in smoked oysters, etc. Sausage was OK, chestnuts - meh. I just don't remember them anymore - but always different. The adults loved them all. ... kids not so much.

I know. You take a look at a recipe, and immediately think 'yuk!, I could never do that!' What some people take to be haute cuisine is revolting to others. That's the magnificent world of taste, and what you're used to. So you vary it, make it your own, and THAT'S one of the most important things about cooking. As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison!

di reston

I like to use herb seasoned stuffing cubes. I sauté onion, celery and chopped mushrooms in butter. Then I add Bell's poultry seasoning, ground dry porcini mushrooms and fresh chopped rosemary, sage and thyme. Then turkey or chicken stock is added and bring to boil add stuffing cubes stir to moisten. No eggs added. Sometimes I add sage sausage usually not. At this point it is served or placed in oven to stay warm.

I'm still going back and forth over whether to do the stuffing in the bird, or on the stove.

If I do it in the bird, I'm dicing up a loaf of my sourdough bread, apples, walnuts and raisins, a little salt pepper, some rosemary and thyme, and that is it.

I don't do stuffing/dressing in the bird due to the ookies. My grandma did it both ways, one stuffed up the turkey's butt, the other in a casserole dish. I could always tell the difference.

I'm enjoying the recipes and ideas! I'm a purist. No cornbread, no sausage, just a lot of poultry seasoning, white bread chunks, a bit of chicken broth, and butter, celery, and onion.

Last edited:
I don't do stuffing/dressing in the bird due to the ookies. My grandma did it both ways, one stuffed up the turkey's butt, the other in a casserole dish. I could always tell the difference.

I'm enjoying the recipes and ideas! I'm a purist. No cornbread, no sausage, just a lot of poultry seasoning, white bread chunks, a bit of chicken broth, and butter, celery, and onion.
I don't like cornbread stuffing either. It has to be cubes not those crumbles. I also add walnuts for a little crunch. I put stuffing on my turkey sandwiches and the walnuts give it a nice crunch. I've only put sausage in my stuffing twice when asked.

I don't like cornbread stuffing either. It has to be cubes not those crumbles. I also add walnuts for a little crunch. I put stuffing on my turkey sandwiches and the walnuts give it a nice crunch. I've only put sausage in my stuffing twice when asked.

Exactly. Walnuts in stuffing interest me, I'll have to give those a shot!

I adore day-after-Thanksgiving casserole!

I think the cornbread stuffing is a southern thing. I have no issue with cornbread by itself, but in my opinion, it has no place by my turkey and gravy.

Last edited:
I also love Thanksgiving leftover casseroles! Almost better than the original dinner itself. Or at least just as good. :yum:

Jeebus, Cheryl, me too!

I still do not understand this cornbread stuffing thing. What an unusual thing to do.

My dear MIL makes an oyster dressing. It tastes like stuff I cough up after smoking too many cigs.

Last edited:
Just make sure it comes to 165 degrees

You need to use a thermometer

Otherwise you risk serious food poisoning

Yeah, another thing I haven't found in the move.... Some of you guys here have been trying to convince me these newfangled digital thermometers are awesome, and they sound like it.

I might bite the bullet and buy one for this year. I want everything to go right.

First time I have ever done the Dinner at my place, even though it is only four people, Father in Law, Mom, Beloved Wife and I it feels very important.

Still searching for my beloved very beat up thermometer, had that from my first restaurant job. (achem. Ernie's Sandwich Shop, Sesame Place Amusement Park, outside of Philly).

TBS

Back
Top Bottom