"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Stuffings for turkey and chicken

The last time I posted a stuffing recipe, I think it might have been on the turkey thread. The other day I came across (when I say 'came across', I mean I was litereally walking past it for weeks on my desk, and I didn't look at it twice) but now I'm thinking of Christmas, I'm also thinking of Christmas menus etc. The recipe caught my eye, and after so many years of thinking 'Italian is best', I thought 'Mmmmm', this could be good. I made it today, and the aromas are very appealing. I think it could be a winner, so here it is:

Orange and pork stuffing: for a 2lb chicken

Clean the bird in salted water for 20 mins then dry it off.

60 oz minced pork , lean and fat
3 - 6 oz fresh grated fresh bread
3 - 6oz ground almonds
1 tbsp soaked raisins
1 small onion chopped by hand together with 2 cloves garlic
Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange
1 1/2 tsp of 'quatre epices' ' cloves, cinnamon. nutmeg, allspice)
Pinch of freshly chopped mixed herbs
juice and rind of one medium orange

Mix all the ingredients together, stuff the bird, roast it, enjoy the aromas, and enjoy the meal. Usual accompaniments.

di reston (I've got my computer with me in the hospital - you keep me cheerful)

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

6oz minced pork

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

60 oz. of ground pork stuffed into a 2-pound chicken? I doubt I could find a two-pound chicken, but that seems like a lot.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Executive Chef

yummm di - that sounds really tasty

I don't understand the 3 - 6 oz. of the bread and almonds.

3 x 6 oz = 18 oz ?

Aside from the recipe - Thinking of you!

Here's a hug to keep you company in the hospital
Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is unlike any stuffing recipe I've seen, but it does sound good. Thanks, di! And another virtual hug for you! Keep fighting the good fight!
Old 11-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Sous Chef

You're quite - quantities a bit to pot, as we say in England!

Here we go again: 6 oz minced pork
2oz finely chopped bacon, fat and lean
3 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
3 oz ground almonds
1 small onion chopped fine, or, a shallot
1 large clove garlic, chopped fine
juice and grated zest of a medium sized orange
1 pinch 'quatres èpices', a French type of mixed spice: equal quantities of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and I put in a pinch of allspice as well
Juice and grated zest of one orange about the size of a tennis ball
1/2 teaspoon of traditional mixed herbs, or just thyme
salt and pepper.
1 tbsp raisins, washed and soaked in warm water.

Mince the pork and bacon together, add all the other ingredients and mix really well. This unlikely mix of ingredients produces a delicious stuffing, and, surprisingly, the flavours all work well together. I can't for the life of me think where I got it from, but I know it was in France. I've got it right this time, and I think it's well worth considering, but before you do it with a turkey, try it first with a chicken.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde.

Off to the hospital tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
Master Chef

This sounds delicious, di. Thank you for sharing. I bet it would also be delicious with dried cranberries or cherries instead of raisins.
And best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!
Old 11-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

With the almonds and orange, it sounds a bit Spanish to me. If only DH would eat almonds. I might have to save it for a time when he's out of town

Btw, just checking - one orange or two?

Hope everything goes well
Old 11-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We'll all sneak over to GG's house when her DH is out of town...

My DH is a traditionalist, and probably wouldn't eat it either, but it does sound lovely!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Just one orange, about the size of a tennis ball. Believe it or not, it's enough moisture to bind the stuffing together, and it doesn't overpower the flavour of the stuffing. You can leave out the ground almonds if you don't like them. I particularly like the flavour of the 'quatres èpices', it's like mixed spice, but obviously you can adjust quantities there to your liking. When I did it today. Breadcrumbs and ground almonds to suit the size of the bird. The flavouir of the raisins is hardly discernible, although there, and I find the whole thing very moreish, and so did Pete, my OH, and he is ooooh so traditionalist. On the whole, I would definitely do it again, especially with turkey. As it's just the two of us, it would have to be turkey breast rolls filled with the stuffing.

Be back soon, love to you all

di

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 11-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Mom used to make the most varied stuffings. As there was not only the 7 of us, there were, Aunts & Uncles, cousins, Grandparents, etc etc etc. So a few dishes of stuffings or dressing were required. Traditional (especially for the picky kids, like me) and then at least 2 other kinds with amazing things added in. They were always bread based, but seasonings and add-ins changed all the time. Oysters was the one that grossed me out. I could eat them fresh but not cooked or canned, as in smoked oysters, etc. Sausage was OK, chestnuts - meh. I just don't remember them anymore - but always different. The adults loved them all. ... kids not so much.

Tags
chicken, recipe, stuffing, turkey

Stuffings for turkey and chicken The last time I posted a stuffing recipe, I think it might have been on the turkey thread. The other day I came across (when I say 'came across', I mean I was litereally walking past it for weeks on my desk, and I didn't look at it twice) but now I'm thinking of Christmas, I'm also thinking of Christmas menus etc. The recipe caught my eye, and after so many years of thinking 'Italian is best', I thought 'Mmmmm', this could be good. I made it today, and the aromas are very appealing. I think it could be a winner, so here it is: Orange and pork stuffing: for a 2lb chicken Clean the bird in salted water for 20 mins then dry it off. 60 oz minced pork , lean and fat 3 - 6 oz fresh grated fresh bread 3 - 6oz ground almonds 1 tbsp soaked raisins 1 small onion chopped by hand together with 2 cloves garlic Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange 1 1/2 tsp of 'quatre epices' ' cloves, cinnamon. nutmeg, allspice) Pinch of freshly chopped mixed herbs juice and rind of one medium orange Mix all the ingredients together, stuff the bird, roast it, enjoy the aromas, and enjoy the meal. Usual accompaniments. di reston (I've got my computer with me in the hospital - you keep me cheerful) Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde 6oz minced pork 3 stars 1 reviews