Suggestions on what to do with chicken skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
Hi,

I went to CostCo yesterday and bought several pounds of boneless chicken breasts; I skinned the meat before freezing them and now I have about 1.5 pounds of skin. What to do with it? At first I thought about making a stock but usually that's done with bones and meat. So now I'm wondering if I can render whatever fat is in the skin. What do you think? Have you any other suggestions?

Cheers,:chef:

you're right on- i'd render it. you de-fat stock, so it wouldn't work to make stock with it.
-luvs

For a guilty sin, spread it out ona cookie sheet, add salt and pepper and roast it until the fat has rendered and it's golden brown and crispy.

Yum.

Make half of it into cracklins' like Andy M. said and render the other half for some lovely cooking fat. Great with roasted potatoes. I think Jewish people call it "schmaltz.

"schmaltz" and "griebens".....the griebens are the crusty part of the skin that's left and oh gawd...the cholestrol.....makes the most wonderful sandwiches....hey...haven't had one in years, but, I have cheated by picking outta the pan.....LOL

"schmaltz" and "griebens".....the griebens are the crusty part of the skin that's left and oh gawd...the cholestrol.....makes the most wonderful sandwiches....hey...haven't had one in years, but, I have cheated by picking outta the pan.....LOL

Sounds wonderful. I've never tried making or cooking with schmaltz, but I'd like to. Heh, healthful, schmelful! I still cook with lard a fair bit, too. :rolleyes:

I cook with lard, too -- makes the best pie crusts and adds something wonderful to savory pastries. :chef:

I live in Japan and our oven size is VERY limited. Any suggestions on HOW to render? I was thinking of boiling water and slowly evaporating it out or slow frying in my dutch oven. What do you think?

Cut the skin into pieces and cook over low heat in your dutch oven. Do not salt or otherwise season the skin before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom