Supermarket Roasted Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungry

Senior Cook
What to Eat

What has bden your experience with the Roasted Chickens that are now in a lot of markets?

I'm quite concerned about their holding these chickens at ?? degrees temperature.

If they hold them hot enough to kill any bacteria, then they would probably be dried out if I was going to take one home for supper at 5:30p.

Bad news if they hold them at a temperature where the bacteria thrives! (I forget the numbers)

I bought one once and it tasted like cardboard!

Charlie

I have had great experience with them. They are held hot enough that they are safe, but somehow do not dry out.

they taste of injected flavorings and are way overcooked. In an emergency it's great to go get one and make quick fajitas or buritos, maybe a sandwich etc. But as a dining experience they lack a lot. As safe as anything else you buy.

The ones I get ar not injected at all. occasionally I have gotten an overcooked one, but usually I have not. Maybe I have just been very lucky.

I don't buy them often, but the are good in a pinch. The ones I have bought have not been too dry -but now I am thinking about the temperature thing - just one more thing to make me loony!:wacko: :wacko:

Wife and I have one about every other week on average. We like them a lot.
I enjoy splitting them in half and throwing them on the grill. If I am in the BBQ mood a little sauce is nice. Do not need to really cook them again, but a little browning on the skin side is nice as well on the inside.
BUT the bonus of it all is after you eat off all you want... MAKE A CHICKEN STOCK!!

Throw all the bones and all the meat bits you didn't eat into the stock pot, cover with water. Throw in some garlic, carrots, celery, some thyme, and salt/pepper if needed.
Boil for two hours or so.... strain- freeze... makes every savory dish better.

We like the ones from Costco. They're delicious. They are always well seasoned with a rub and moist as well. We buy one on a Saturday morning when we're out doing the grodcery shopping (last stop) and take it home for lunch and leftovers for another lunch.

I also save the inedible parts for my stock.

An item I do not plan on indulging in ever again. Yes, they are flavorful and still quite juicy, but every time I've eaten from one, shortly thereafter I'm rapidly en route to the bathroom while looking for a dose of Stop Leak (read: Immodium AD or Advanced).

Those chickens and drugs, just say no! Need something in a pinch? Get a sandwich at your local deli, IMHO!

BigDog said:
...but every time I've eaten from one, shortly thereafter I'm rapidly en route to the bathroom while looking for a dose of Stop Leak...

Consider shopping elsewhere !!!!!

They are better from some places than others. The ones I buy are very good and every bit as good as one cooked at home. I use them for sandwiches, salads, the carcass for soup or broth. It is a head start I need sometime when pressed for time and I can count on the quality from the right place.

I used to buy them from our locally owned store, and they were very good. That store went out of business after the SuperWalmart opened, and the roasted chickens at Walmart look like they're fossilized. :sick:

I get them at Costco or at my grocery store, Both are moist, hot, and well seasoned..We use them for sandwiches either hot or cold ones, then the left overs and a second chicken go into sop or enchilladas or tacos..Never have had a problem..I do though make sure I get to the store as they are taking them of the roasting machine, take them right home and put in refrigerator to cool.

kadesma:)

I like the ones from Costco and Sam's. I HATE the ones from the supermarkets. They inject/brine them in something. AND some of our markets do not get them done. I have taken them back to complain.

And bye the bye, you can do it yourself in the time it takes to go to the store. Salt and pepper liberally and bake at 400* for an hour. Better than theirs.

We get the ones from Costco too. We like them and I buy a couple whenever I go. I bring them home a pull them apart and usually freeze the meat. We make enchiladas and mostly sandwiches for dh to take to work. Shredded chicken on a warm tortila with tomatoes, avocados, cheese and sunflower seeds. I'm getting hungry, what's for lunch?

Gretchen said:
And bye the bye, you can do it yourself in the time it takes to go to the store. Salt and pepper liberally and bake at 400* for an hour. Better than theirs.
LOL it takes me 3 minutes to get to the store, 5 minutes to buy the chicken, and 3 minutes to get back. When I get home from work at 7pm I want to be able to eat something right away. If I had to wait until 8pm for my chicken and then have the roasting pan to wash, well I am just glad my supermarket makes good ones :)

We are huge fans of roti-chicken. I cook only from scratch (don't use processed foods) and our tastebuds would tell us if there were any chemicals injected. I can think of about 100 worse "fast-foods" for you than roti-chicken.

ETA: In Germany the chickens are usually made by the Turks and they are still on the spit when you buy them.

Last edited:
I buy them fairly often in the summer (don't have A/C); when on the road the trailer's A/C couldn't compete with the oven, so I used them even more often then. I find them to be a great convenience and we've never even had the mildest stomach distress from them. With a tossed salad, taboule, or couscous they make a great minimal cooking summer meal. Occaisionally they will be too salty, depending on the regional tastes where you buy them, but overall my experiences have been good.

We get them now and then when we want something quick. Most of the ones we have gotten have been really good. The last one I got was a little dry, but over all we haven't had that problem.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom