Sweet and Sour Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Looking for a recipe for chineese restaurant style sweet and sour chicken. Something with a crisp outside batter would be good. I have both a deep fryer and a wok. Any suggestions?

This is my families favorite Sweet and Sour Chicken.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

img_549412_0_67d64f9343a4b3944a0d8d860b1d1fc2.jpg

Batter:
1 egg
3/4 cup ice cold water
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon accent
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cornstarch

Mix egg and water together, add the rest of ingredients, mix together by hand. Do not over mix, some lumps will remain. Add cubed up chicken (not to large) stir.
Carefully drop chicken into hot oil, do not crowd the chicken. You do not want them to all stick together. Fry until golden brown and chicken is cooked. Keep warm in oven while cooking other batches.

Sweet And Sour Sauce

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon vinegar
3 tablespoon Ketchup
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sauce is thick and bubbly.

Oh my goodness.... Ol' Blue... You're recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken is FANTASTIC!! My husband said it tasted just like at the resteraunts, if not better! I can't believe how good it was. Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe!!!

Oh my goodness.... Ol' Blue... You're recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken is FANTASTIC!! My husband said it tasted just like at the resteraunts, if not better! I can't believe how good it was. Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe!!!

You are so welcome! My son has to agree with you. He loves his sweet and sour chicken.

I made this for dinner tonight and it was a hit for sure. I had to make 2 batches of the sauce - the second batch coming out much thicker then the first. I don't think I put enough cornstarch in the 1st time. I loved the chicken as did my oldest son. Hubby said I can definitely make it again. I am sharing a pic. You cannot see the sauce - but it is there. I should have taken a pic of it with the 2nd sauce batch.

I prepared it with white rice. Looked like what you get at a Chinese restaurant. I even have some leftover for my mom to try. She should be so proud of me - I made something different. LOL

img_768627_0_3ba6a11d4c25d11c476c77a4d8238dee.jpg

Thanks so much for the recipe. It was delish! Now I have to find one for War Su Gai!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom