Sweet & Spicy Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
SWEET & SPICY WINGS

Ingredients:
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken wings

Whisk together vinegar, marmalade, and hot sauce in a bowl. Add wings in the bowl. stir to coat. Place on grill over low heat. Grill for 15 minutes a side.

These sound different. In a good way.
I'm always looking for a new sauce to try. I think I'll give them a go.

Sounds interesting, although the orange marmalade I have tastes really bitter to me. I also have some of Penzey's Raspberry Enlightenment. I might try that with this.

Horseradish is really good with marmalade as a shrimp dipping sauce, bet it would make for some great wings too, along with the rest of the recipe.

I think I'll try this with breast strips. DH and I were just talking about what a good dip the marmalade/horseradish made, and what, other than shrimp, might also be good with it. I said I thought chicken too!

Last edited:
Sounds like several off us had the same ideas with marmalade. I also have some Apricot Habañero Preserves I want to try in a chicken glaze.

Canadian marmalade tastes bitter to me too, but Smuckers is the only kind we get in our area, it's sweet. BTW, I wish we could get the good, bitter Canadian stuff here!

Sounds interesting, although the orange marmalade I have tastes really bitter to me. I also have some of Penzey's Raspberry Enlightenment. I might try that with this.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds marmalade bitter. I'd probably substitute apricot.

Looks great! After you remove the chicken, I would put the marinade in a sauce pan, bring it to a boil, then simmer and reduce to thicken. Yum, a sauce to drizzle over.

I plan on reserving some in case I want to add some as a finishing sauce after grilling, as grilling can tend to lose a sauce's intensity. But I do plan on basting throughout the cooking process anyway.
I like my sauces :yum:

Canadian marmalade tastes bitter to me too, but Smuckers is the only kind we get in our area, it's sweet. BTW, I wish we could get the good, bitter Canadian stuff here!
Yeah, the "good" British stuff is even worse. ;)

I wonder what it would be like if I strained out the orange peel. We have a jar of Robertson's Original Orange Marmalade. I don't remember how it got here. Nah, I should just give it to a food bank.

I love the bitterness of orange marmalade, too. In fact, that reminds me, I just used the last of my jar of King Kelly. Must add it to the shopping list. :)

Some time ago, Janet H made a great list for marmalade uses, and I copied it off. I'm adding yours to the list Dawg, as horseradish seems a good pairing for shrimp or chicken.
Orange Marmalade - Wondrous stuff
I LOVE orange marmalade. There are many brands ranging from sweet and smooth to bitter and snappy and you can make your own of course but my go to staple is Made by King Kelly. It's cheap, has loads of peel and awesome flavor!

attachment.php
Beyond the obvious punchy topping for toasted muffins and bagels it's a miracle ingredient. Fast, fun and zesty.

Zesty orange Salad Dressing: Dollop of orange marmalade, olive oil, vinegar, orange juice and a little prepared mustard.

Fast Glazed Beets: In skillet melt 1/4 cup of marmalade, 1/4 cup butter, juice form 1/2 lemon, cracked pepper and salt. Add a can of sliced beets and heat through, coating with glaze.

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings: Mix up Marmalade, hot sauce and honey. Grill wings until cooked. Brush with glaze and grill another few minutes being careful not to burn.

Yogurt: Add a tablespoon to plain yogurt

Creamcheese icing: 1 block of cream cheese, 1/2 C marmalade, 1 tsp vanilla, juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 cups powdered sugar

Tangy Pork Chops: 1 T soy sauce, 1/3 C marmalade, 1 C orange juice, 1 T balsamic Vinegar, minced garlic, 1 t water. Combine. Cook pork chops in frying pan. remove chops from pans and deglaze pan with orange mixture. Pour over Chops and serve.

Back
Top Bottom