Sweet Red Cooked Drunken Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Sweet Red Cooked Drunken Chicken

(red wine breading)
Cornstarch (1 1/4 cup)
Salt 2 tsp
Pepper 1 tsp
Red Cooking Wine (2 table spoons)
Light Soy (1 table spoon)
Add water until slightly sticky but not soupy

(sweet n spicy red sauce)
2 tbsp. hoisen
2 tbsp. hot garlic chili sauce
1 tbsp. light soy
1/4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. tomato concentrate
2 tsp. garlic salt
optional *
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 drop red food coloring
1-2 tsp. wine or beer

To thicken sauce I often add soy, hoisen and garlic, maybe a bit of water.

Cook red chicken in wok on high, stir vigorously, when cooked white on all sides, add chopped green onion and white onion stir for 1 minute, add sauce, stir to coat, set aside (in microwave or in oven on warm.

I made w/ Fried Rice (green onion, white onion, red bell peppers, chicken, egg, garlic)
added 1 tbsp. cooking oil and 3 tbsp. butter to wok (after rinsed and wiped clean from chicken**)
add minced garlic cloves (1 large or 2 small) and cook until dark yellow, light brown. Add rice.
I tried something new and cooked the egg and the chicken alongside rice in "eye of the storm" in my wok. I cleared a circle in the center of wok, fried the egg, mixed it, added diced raw chicken, cooked and mixed in.
New technique, worked great.

Serve drunked chicken on fried rice. Its pretty good I must say.

Last edited:
This recipe sounds good. Just one question...what does red wine breading mean?

I never used red wine in the breading, but in this recipe I used it, it was basically just wine, soy and cornstarch with some salt and pepper. Breading, you know, the coating before you fry, I guess I should have called it "red wine batter". It came out really well. I also stir fried the chicken and added the ingrediants as opposed to frying, draining, and then adding it back to the work with the sauce. For some reason the chicken came out softer and more tender than when i use other coatings/batters/breading.

It came out like this.

ChilliChicken13.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom