"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have the perfect solution to McD's bland food. I don't eat there. There operation model is to make barely edible, but not disgusting food that is inexpensive to make, and use production methods that can crank out a whole lot of food in a hurry. They became so big by originally selling there burgers for 20 Cents per burger, compared with the other restaurants usually selling for 45 cents per burger (back in the early 1970's). They made less money per burger, but sold so many more than anyone else that it was profitable. The first time I went to a McDonalds, was with a good friend. He purchased 5 burgers and threw away all of the buns but one. He stacked the five burger patties between the one bun and had a good sized burger for 1 dollar. Of course, there was a local restaurant that made a 3/4 lb. burger with a thick slice of American cheese melted on top, all on a large, soft but, with all the good stuff for 99 cents. And there fries were better too.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
With you there but sometimes needs must when you're driving long distance and there's nowhere else to eat at midnight.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Individual tastes and expectations... That's what it all comes down to...
Ross

Old 10-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Individual tastes and expectations... That's what it all comes down to...
Ross
Have you tried the new Quarter Pounder yet?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm honestly not sure... We had our monthly QP last week but I just ordered the QP meal.. I don't know if I was supposed to specify the new one I've seen advertised.. Whatever it was, it satisfied my QP craving for another month..

I did try the breaded chicken a couple of weeks ago and thought that was kinda lousy..

Ross
Old 10-02-2018, 03:49 AM   #15
Master Chef

I remember when Micky-D's brought out a QP Angus burger. I tried it, hoping for something a little better than their standard burger. I don't know what they did to that meat, but it tasted horrible, It further confirmed my resolve to never eat at McDonald's again.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Do you have the recipe for Popeyes spicy chicken too?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I did have one. It wasn’t bad. Very meaty, very juicy. Get extra cheese, though!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I did have one. It wasn’t bad. Very meaty, very juicy. Get extra cheese, though!
Cheeseburgers aren't my thing. I like extra mustard and pickles on my burgers
Old 10-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I tried a QP and, to be honest, it was the expected amount of "better", but that's in contrast to their usual "meh".
Most diners here do a burger and fries100x better for only a dollar or two more. Still not breaking $9 or $10.

Ok, so you have to actually go in , order, and wait 7 or 8 minutes, but what you get blows away Mickey D's.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #20
Master Chef

One of the nurses that treats me at dialysis tried my best chicken recipe and told me she loved the flavor. Said it was the best she'd ever made. My head swelled a little. I feel good. I did have to instruct her to let the chicken rest for 10 minutes or so to get the coating to stick properly to the chicken. Her coating came away a bit while she was frying it. She also gave me thumbs up on the pancake recipe. I am a happy man.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, herbs, recipe, salt, spices

Tastes Like KFC This tastes like KFC but doesn't require a pressure fryer. Ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. granulated garlic powder 1/8 tsp. powdered ginger 1/4 tsp. rubbed sage 1/4 tsp. ground thyme 1 tbs. ground black pepper 1/8 tsp. red pepper 1/2 tsp. Summer Savory 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/4 tsp. dried basil 1/4 tso. mustard powder 1/8 tsp. celery seed 1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder 1 tbs. paprika Combine the flour, herbs, spices and salt in a gallon freezer bag. Add the chicken pieces. Shake to coat all chicken. Put in the refrigerator for three to four hours. The flour will partially hydrate and become a thick past that coats the chicken. Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium-high flame. Place chicken pieces in hot oil and fry each for five minutes. Continue turning and frying until golden brown. Do not crown the chicken so that the hot oil can get all around each piece. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite sides. I have tried bunches of copycat recipes for KFC chicken, some using tomato soup in them, some using tomato powder, some that had just plain strange things in them. None of them tasted anything like KFC chicken. If you bite into KFC chicken, the most pronounce flavors are salt and pepper. The other herbs and spices enhance those flavors, especially the garlic, sage and savory. Give this recipe a try the next time you want that KFC flavor. Our local KFC went out of business where I live. If I want it, I have to make it. Oh, a and mine isn't as greasy as the stuff from the restaurant. I like to add to add a little extreme pepper powder to mine, to keep me warm on our cold autumn nights. This is a great meal with waffles, or steamed green beans, or steamed cauliflower. Wish I could make my baked beans, but not allowed on a CKD diet. Oh, and KFC style slaw is easy tome make as well. Here's how. Ingredients: 1/2 head of green cabbage 1/2 medium onion 2 carrots, peeled 3 tbs. granulated sugar 1/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing 1/4 cup ice water Grate the cabbage with a box grater and place into a large bowl. Do the same with the carrot and add it too to the bowl. Finely mince the onion and put in the bowl. Add the sugar, salad dressing, and water. Stir until well mixed. This slaw should be very juicy. Cover and place in the fridge until cold. Home-made Biscuits 1/ cup AP flour 2 tsp double-acting baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 2 tbs. sugar 4 tbs. softened butter. 1/4 cup water In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. cut in the butter as if making a pie crust. Add the water and stir until a dough is formed. The dough should be a little sticky, but able to be formed into a ball by hand. The less you stir it, the more tender the biscuits will be. Preheat oven to 350' F. Form dough balls about the size of a golf ball and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Flatten to about a quarter inch thick. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot with your chicken dinner, butter, and honey. With the biscuits, if you make the dough a little dryer, and roll it out, you can spread it with butter, chill it, then fold and roll it again. Do this three or four times to make flaky biscuits, kind of like making puff pastry, but with a leavening agent in it. Use a biscuit cutter, or clean, empty soup can to cut out the biscuits. The biscuits are very good either way. The latter is just more impressive. Use the dough left over from cutting to make fritters. Just work in tome fruit and sugar, and make into doughnut sized pastries. Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews