"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Thanksgiving Duck

Ok all......

I want to do a duck this year for "turkey day" I was inspired by a place that we go to eat from time to time, we went there last night and I picked the owners brain on how to do it.

What she told me was; cook it with a "low and slow" [I figure 325?] method, turn it often, drain out the fat from the cavity from time to time and finish with a high heat [she said 500] to crisp up the skin. They serve it with a homemade la orange sauce made from the drippings, zest, orange juice, I think some ginger is in it too and S+P. The duck itself is seasoned with rosemary and S+P. How does this sound??? Does it look right to you??? What would you change and why???

TIA for your help!

Old 10-10-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like an excellent alternative, PT! I made duck on turkey day once, but it was years ago and I've forgotten exactly what I did.

Duck will render out a lot of fat, so I would place the bird on a rack in your roaster so the bottom doesn't get all mushy from sitting in fat. Save the fat for frying potatoes in, though. It's really good!

Old 10-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I agree that sounds delicious. I quite like duck, I used to hate it, it was something my dad cooked, and not very well - he didn't cook it long enough.
I'm considering having duck for Christmas.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
sounds good to me i love duck!! You can get like a duck for 10 dollars in taiwan from the street side vendors and its cooked already and prepared nicely with a bowl of soup noodles to the side with some tufu, a duck egg (those black eggs really good), its really good stuff.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I plan on giving it a "test drive" before the day of reconing, I will let you all know how it turned out.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
Cooking Duck...

Last time I had duck my chef buddy barbequed it....it was wonderful meal...had sort of forgotten that....I need to go out and get some duck to "Q"...served with an orange sauce...was wonderful :D
Old 10-11-2004, 07:36 AM   #7
Sous Chef

That's pretty much how I make duck when I make it, but I only make it a couple times a year. It is quite fatty, so definitely cook it on a rack. Muscovy is good if you can get one of those. Be aware that duck is a lot less meaty than turkey and you aren't going to get a lot of portions out of one.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
My fatehr used to cook duck quite often, he was an avid hunter. I could care less for it. Too greasy for my tastes same goes for Kentucky Fried Chicken or prok sausage (breakfast links) The greasey makes me feel queasy.....yuk!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My mom cooked duck for Easter. She always made it with a regular turkey stuffing but then it had dried fruit in it so help soak up some of the grease. It was REALLY good. Your dinner sounds great! A wild rice wtih some pecans in it would be good as a side - cook the wild rice in a combination water/orange juice/honey mixture and some pecans.

I wish we could have different things for holiday meals but my husband's family likes ham and finger foods - which is quite good, don't get me wrong - my SIL must spend days/weeks preparing stuff and it's all wonderful!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

The only thing I would change is your invitation list. Put me on it

Tags
None