Thanksgiving Leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Yesterday, Michael Chiarello did a show about this. He had a ton of leftovers, naturally, but there were some good ideas there. We are invited out, so won't have any leftovers.

saw that! really like the leftover turkey panini idea, will give it a shot.

here's a recipe I've been using on leftover turkey for a lot of years.

Impossible Turkey Pie

2 c. cut-up cooked turkey
4-1/2 oz. jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 c. sliced green onions
1/2 t. salt
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese (about 4 oz.)
1-1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. Bisquick baking mix
3 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 10-inch pie plate.
Sprinkle turkey, mushrooms, onions, salt and cheese in pie plate.
Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high speed or 1 minute with hand beater.
Pour into pie plate. Bake until golden brown and knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with parsley if desired. Refrigerate any remaining pie. 6-8 servings.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

you can always make a good turkey salad for sammiches... if you're concerned about calories/fat.. use nonfat mayo or plain yogurt..they are great stuffed into pitas..or make yourself a good stir-fry..or a turkey salad stir-fried with assorted vegies and serve on top of mixed greens and french fries..or just have a great stir-fry on top of rice.

We are going to my brothers for Thanksgiving and I'm in charge of desserts, BUT I am still cooking a turkey here for 1) the smell and 2) the leftovers. I'll make giblet gravy and have open face sandwhiches on Friday. I make gumbo, turkey tetrazenni (sp) and I going to modify a duck recipe that uses phyllo to see how it shapes up before I commit one of my ducks to it. I am dependant on the kindness of friends this year for ducks/geese and don't want to waste any on an unworthy recipe!!

My family has the tradition of using the carcass, some of the leftover turkey meat, and some of the giblet/pan dripping gravy as the basis of turkey soup!

Turkey Soup made from the carcass, usually with a bit of barley and rice thrown in, coupled with turkey sandwichs for most of my crew, turkey and dressing sandwichs for me. Sometimes, I'll make a loaf of bread with sage, thyme, and onion mixed into the raw dough. It cuts some of the bread I'm consuming in the sandwich and gives me the flavor I yearn for. The turkey adds the other necessary flavor.

Oh, and can't forget hot, open-faced turkey sandwiches with gravy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Butterball has some great recipes. See the link below. They also have more leftover recipes on their main recipe page. I also included a recipe that I thought sounded good.

Artichoke Turkey Pizza

Cooking Technique: Bake
Prep Time: 10
Cooking Time: Up to 10 minutes

Yield: 8 slices

16 ounces prepared pizza crust, thin, seasoned
1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese, (6 ounces)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes with Italian Herbs, drained
1 cup chopped cooked turkey
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) artichoke hearts, canned in water, drained, coursely chopped
1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, (2 ounces)

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Place crust on baking sheet. Sprinkle crust with mozzarella cheese and top with tomatoes, turkey, artichokes, olives and Parmesan cheese.
Bake pizza for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese melts.

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_c...vers Landing Page&s0=plan_n_prep&s1=leftovers

Thanksgiving leftovers

I usually serve a large turkey breast rather than a big bird so it is easy to cut and we eat almost all of it by Saturday after Thanksgiving. I use store bought gravy and stuffing which doesn't last through the weekend. Maybe I should say pretty accurately we don't have trouble with leftovers after Thanksgiving. We finish everything.

We had our turkey and dressing last week. I made some jambalaya with some of the leftovers. I also put the rest of the dressing in the freezer. I'm gonna take it to a dinner later with the turkey chopped up in it and pecans stirred up in it.

I will still have a package of turkey left and we also had enought for a sandwich or two.

I don't know what this year will be like but prior dads smoked turkey...........there wasn't much left over to even consider a meal...........it was so goooooooooooood. He has his own homemade smokehouse in his garage he made out of a refrigerator............its so cool. But unfort., he had a stroke last month so those days are over. I don't know how he made it and he doesn't recall because mom was always the one to makeher special brine and she passed in January. Oh well..........we're all still here and the roast turkey will be just fine.

I am sorry Sizzlin.
May your Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays be filled with wonderful thoughts of your mother and recovery for your father.
And you begin new special memories for your family.

spryte said:
Definitely turkey sandwiches....
then turkey enchiladas in green sauce
oh yeah, I love turkey sammiches with Miracle Whip.. it's yum!!

SizzlininIN said:
I don't know what this year will be like but prior dads smoked turkey...........there wasn't much left over to even consider a meal...........it was so goooooooooooood. He has his own homemade smokehouse in his garage he made out of a refrigerator............its so cool. But unfort., he had a stroke last month so those days are over. I don't know how he made it and he doesn't recall because mom was always the one to makeher special brine and she passed in January. Oh well..........we're all still here and the roast turkey will be just fine.
I'm sorry Sizzlin.. I just saw this.. if I was there, I'd make you a great turkey. I have never done one, but I'm sure I could. It would be my treat.

mmmm, leftover turkey sammiches. slices of white meat that has been reheated in gravy, topped with stuffing and more gravy, and cranberry sauce, all on extra large slices of rye bread...

Juliev said:
you can always make a good turkey salad for sammiches... if you're concerned about calories/fat.. use nonfat mayo or plain yogurt..they are great stuffed into pitas..or make yourself a good stir-fry..or a turkey salad stir-fried with assorted vegies and serve on top of mixed greens and french fries..or just have a great stir-fry on top of rice.
I did choclatechef! it's nummy too!

Back
Top Bottom