"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Just A Quick Note On Your Turkey. Try Covering the Breast with bacon, Then Removing the bacon Just before you finish to give you a nice crisp skin. Not exactly healthy but yummy.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Crestman,

You needn't be a slave to the exact recipe. What he describes in that episode is more a method, than an exact recipe.

I have used that recipe a bazillion times, but never used the ginger. Sometimes I have used allspice berries, but what I usually use for turkey are soy sauce, garlic, onion, peppercorns, and sage.

They key to his recipe is brining the turkey. Brining will make the meat more juicy and will also season it with the salt/sugar solution and whatever herbs and spices you add to the brine.

If you like ginger and allspice for your turkey, by all means go for it. They sell allspice berries in the supermarket -- it's just whole rather than ground. I haven't used candied ginger, but I know Penzey's has it.

But don't be afraid to flavor the brine with other stuff that you like better or is more readily available.

I have also made gravy a bazillion times using this recipe. The pan drippings will be saltier than usual, so prepare some broth from the giblets without salt to use in gravy making.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We're a stuffing-in-the-bird family. But, before I cook the bird, I brine it per the instructions in the November/December 2004 issue of Cook's Illustrated.

Then, for the last 5 years or so, I melt about 2 or 3 sticks of unsalted butter and mix with about 5 cups of good chardonnay and soak several thicknesses of cheesecloth in it. Before I put the turkey in the oven, I drape the breast and legs with the butter/wine-soaked cheesecloth, about 2 layers. Any of the wine/butter mixture left is used to baste the turkey. I leave the cheesecloth on until the turkey is done. Once done, I remove the cheesecloth, which is now a nice walnut color and put it in my stock that has been reduced, which I make using roasted turkey necks. The flavor from the cheesecloth and the color from it help to make the most awesome gravy. I use the stock mixture as my gravy base, along with pan drippings.

Note to self: Get more cheesecloth before U.S. Thanksgiving.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Candied ginger is in the baking isle of the supermarket and also in the spice aisle. The allspice berries are also in the spice isle. Strangely enough, the candied ginger in the baking dept. is cheaper than the candied ginger in the spice rack.

The important parts of the AB recipe are teh preparation and the roasting. The flavors are up to you.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I also am a Canadian who does the turkey any day of that weekend that's convenient for me,the cook and our guests. I always make the stuffing OUT of the bird....far healthier. I baste it with the turkey drippings.
I have a question though. I did this a couple of years ago, and can't remember exactly how I did the following. Roast the bird, then immediately wrap it in foil and put it in the deep freeze until the day, usually the next day, that you're going to have it for dinner....I really can't remember exactly what to do though.....anyone?????????
Old 10-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I think what I would like to accomplish is to have nice (mild) flavor (I'm not sure ginger would be something everyone would appreciate?) but most importantly is a juicy bird when I'm done. I have an electronic probe that I will use so I don't overcook it.

My mother (and grandmother) has always done Turkey in a covered roaster, but it sounds as though it should be uncovered with the employment of foil "guards" for the top or breast? I'm sure this would give me the nice crust I really love.

I'm sure the turkey needs to be completely thawed before brining right?

Boy am I getting hungry for the turkey!!!!

Keith
Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestman

BTW - jkath, we usually do the dinner on Sunday... :-)

Keith
Now that makes more sense!

BTW, Andy's right about the ginger - the market usually has it in two places, priced differently! After you use the candied ginger, keep it on hand for the next time you are a bit nauseated. Really! It helps calm down the tummy.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #18
Executive Chef

The following is an announcement from your neighbourhood serv-safe sponsor...Please defrost in the fridge or under running water, never on the counter.

Now...once your turkey is thawed, get a couple of gallons of apple cider, a box of kosher salt, granulated garlic, poultry seasoning and pepper. Rinse the turkey and place it in a pot big enough to hold it. If you don't have a pot this big, a brand new bucket will suffice. Pour the cider over the chicken and add about 3 cups of kosher salt and all the other herbs, about 1/4 c. of each. Let the turkey soak in the brine for a day, in the fridge.

I always stuff the bird. I like the flavour that they get from each other. My own preference, do it your way. If you choose to stuff, please don't do it till you are ready to roast.

I start with the turkey covered loosely, and then uncover for the last hour to crisp the skin.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
Everymom

Crestman, I have to say...try brining. Now I know that you will get a lot of people saying to either do it or not to do it, but we tried it and will never go back. Vera has given you a really lovely sounding brine. All I ever do is toss the turkey in my stockpot, fill with water and toss a couple handfuls of brown sugar and a couple of coarse salt in there. Leave that overnight, and then stuff and cook that birdie. (PS, not sure how cold it is in SK right now, but at night its hovering around 0 here so I leave mine on the deck to brine rather than in the fridge. Never enough room in there)

jkath, see? Canadians are so smart we have our Thanksgiving on the weekend so we can eat like little piggies on Sunday and spend the day recovering on Monday.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
...jkath, see? Canadians are so smart we have our Thanksgiving on the weekend so we can eat like little piggies on Sunday and spend the day recovering on Monday.

Very clever!

We end up having our Thanksgiving on a Thursday every year and have to spend four days at home relaxing and watching football.

Tags
None