"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
And, Crestman, you don't need to keep cider vinegar in the fridge. It's already gone bad.
Oooops!!...O well it shouldn't hurt it though hey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
You will need to have your turkey in the fridge today to be thawing by the week-end!! It takes a long time.
I'll yank that sucker out of the freezer as soon as I get home!!!...Thanks.

Keith

Old 10-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Well the darn bird wasn't thawed out enough Friday night to get it into a brine and our supper was Saturday night. So, maybe I'll try the brine next time.

On a side note, I ended up cooking the bird upside down!!!...After about 1hour of resting, I started to cut in and found there to be very little meat...Was I mad. Anyway, after complaining about getting a bad bird for a few minutes, I noticed that there was more meat underneath....When I flipped it over walla!!!...Breasts!...hehe. Only problem with this was there wasn't a nice brown crispy skin over the breast which I like. But all was well and it was a nice meal. Mom must have been laughing it up inside...

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and advice. It WILL come in handy next time.

(Note to self: a 16lb Turkey takes at least 4 days in the fridge to un-thaw)

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!!

Keith

Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #33
Everymom

Keith, you can put a partially frozen bird in the brine. Especially if it is going to be refrigerated. The salt helps it to thaw more quickly.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Did you know?

Maybe you do-- I worked for a chain grocery store for 16 yrs., when I was working in the meat dept. at the holiday time, a customer came in who used to raise turkeys! She said there is more meat on two twelve lb turkeys than a big 20-+bird! My brother also cooks for a family of about 17-20 ppl.and always bought the biggest bird he could find. They took my advice, now they have plenty! There are times he deep fries one and roast the other. Yum !

Tags
None