"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Good idea goodweed and andy. It makes mom happy and PA too. PA your mom will probably like it when you ask for her opinion and help in making the brined turkey ( on a different day other than thanksgiving), you know how some parents are very traditional about holiday meals, Im kind of the same way when it comes to making a turkey for thanksgiving. I dont use a rack, and I stuff the bird, so far its always come out perfectly, and I havent died of food poisoning yet

Old 11-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #12

No double entendre intented...using two heavy metal "shishkabob" skewers, pass these through the turkey at the thigh and wing...use the skewers to hang the bird above the roasting pan...(I start mine breast side down for 90 minutes)(this gets the dark meat cooked faster, so the white doesn't dry out)...after ninety minutes pick up one or the other shewer and "flip the bird" rightside up to toast up the skin on the breast....note the lack of ucky mess on the bottom of the pan, the fully browned and perfect result, etc etc....

Lifter

Old 11-06-2004, 09:36 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
I've always racked my turkey on a wire rack (ummmmm cooling racking actually, since it fits nicely in my pan) But racking on veggies sound delish!! I'm definitely going to do that this year!!! I don't do stuffing in the bird, but I do put a couple 1/4 wedges of onion and a couple stalks of celery loosely in the cavity. I stuff rosemary/sage butter under the breast skin.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 AM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks for the instructions Lifter. I'll definitely try it this year.
I also don't stuff the turkey but put the onions, celery and some herbs in the cavity. I also put in either a quartered lemon or orange.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryte
I've always racked my turkey on a wire rack (ummmmm cooling racking actually, since it fits nicely in my pan) But racking on veggies sound delish!! I'm definitely going to do that this year!!! I don't do stuffing in the bird, but I do put a couple 1/4 wedges of onion and a couple stalks of celery loosely in the cavity. I stuff rosemary/sage butter under the breast skin.
Spryte...use some chicken wings too, it adds alot of flavor to the gravy.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 AM   #16

Lydalou, get out there on the wild and crazy side, and do "dual stuffing recipes", one inside the bird and one in the casserole dish, but IDENTICAL in make up, even if this means you beg/buy/borrow some extra "innards", and/or spend a buck or two on the fancy 12 grain bread, etc...

Maybe you could be the one to come up with a final "testimony" on recipes and/or cooking methods to the "Ultimate Brined Bird" "debate" (LOL!!)...

Perhaps even in time for us all to get the concepts, methods and ideas together for Christmas Dinner or, worst case, New Years!

I know its a bunch more trouble to guess out the amount of sage and herbs to get into a given "dressing", and I've personally never been able to quantify this...but if we all try it, the feedback will give us that answer and new ideas as well!

Lifter

(The "Perfect Turkey" is within reach"
Old 11-08-2004, 06:15 AM   #17
Head Chef

Lifter,
Huh? I only meant that I make my stuffing, using good bread, sausage, fresh sage from my kitchen garden, onions, celery, etc. and cook it separately in a casserole. I have been doing this for the last several years. I used to stuff the bird, but can't even tell you why I decided to go the way I'm doing it now.

I also usually buy turkey wings and /or legs and make a stock for gravy a few days ahead of the big day.

As for giving testimony in the great brining debate, I am not nearly as good a cook or as knowledgeable as most of you are, so I would not be the one to do that.

I am learning a lot from all of you and love to try new things. My family and friends seem to enjoy whatever I put on the table, so I guess I do o.k.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:34 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
Lydalou, get out there on the wild and crazy side, and do "dual stuffing recipes", one inside the bird and one in the casserole dish, but IDENTICAL in make up, even if this means you beg/buy/borrow some extra "innards", and/or spend a buck or two on the fancy 12 grain bread, etc...

Maybe you could be the one to come up with a final "testimony" on recipes and/or cooking methods to the "Ultimate Brined Bird" "debate" (LOL!!)...
Lifter, I have done this on several past turkeys. Identical stuffings, one inside the bird, one outside the bird. Outside the bird always wins in my house. Most enjoy the flavor and texture of the outside the bird stuffing. I like the flavor of the inside the bird stuffing, but prefer the texture of the outside the bird stuffing. So now I just put some big chunks of onion & celery in the cavity, and cook all the stuffing in a separate pan.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Having loved my first brined turkey last month, it will be brined. If you decide not to brine, putting a couple cans of Swanson's broth in the bottom helps keep it moist - that's what I did in the past. I put onions, carrots and celery in the bottom of the roaster and prefer to put the turkey on a rack. I don't want one pound of dressing to dictate how long I cook fifteen pounds of turkey, so I do the dressing outside the bird (prefer dryer to moister anyway). America's Test Kitchen got me into "flipping the bird" and I find that it promotes more even cooking of the white and dark meat.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 AM   #20
Executive Chef

You could try doing your turkey anyway and letting Mom do hers, then everyone can have their choice. Try yours and if they don't like it, then they still have Mom's.

Or tell Mom you want to do the turkey, and ask her to bring another dish.

Tags
None