"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thanksgiving Turkey - Electric Roaster? Is it an option?

Im new here and discovered these forums and am hoping I can get some advice.

I like everyone else am hard pressed for oven space. I have started to investigate electric roasters, such as the Nesco Roaster.

I was thinking about putting in my regular oven for the first 30 or 40 minutes at 400, which is exactly what my recipe calls for, but then transfer it to the preheated electric roaster, for the the remaining time. That would certainly reduce stress and free up the oven.

Has anyone had any experience with electric roasters? I've been looking at the Nesco.

I'm looking for some input as to whether it might be worth a try.

I will be making a 16 lbs organic free-range turkey.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Welcome to DC!!!
In the roaster is the perfect way to "bake" your turkey, and you don't even need to put it in the oven first, just thaw it and put it in the roaster, I'm just guessing here but it should be in there at least 3 hours at 350* maybe longer

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevz View Post
Welcome to DC!!!
In the roaster is the perfect way to "bake" your turkey, and you don't even need to put it in the oven first, just thaw it and put it in the roaster, I'm just guessing here but it should be in there at least 3 hours at 350* maybe longer
Thank you so much for responding to my posting.

Does a turkey brown in an electric roaster?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Head Chef

My only experience with cooking large cuts of meat in a roaster instead of an oven was a prime rib that my sister cooked. It did not develop a nice crust/browning like one gets in an oven. I reserve my oven for the turkey, and think of other ways to do the side dishes, top of stove, slow-cooker, microwave...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You could cook your turkey as you have outlined, but I'd save the oven for the turkey and cook some of your sides in the roaster.

I have successfully cooked extra stuffing/dressing, baked sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, as well as heating up my rolls in the roaster...all at the same time.

I put the veggies/casseroles on the bottom and separate the remainder of my dishes with a wire rack and add the rolls (loosely wrapped in foil) the last 25 or so minutes.

Everything worked perfectly and what I couldn't do in either the roaster or traditional oven, I cooked in my microwave. It was one of the easiest Thanksgiving dinners I've ever prepared.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Everymom

One Thanksgiving my oven blew up just as I put the turkey in.

So, I put the turkey in the roaster with the potatoes and stuffing. I did the green bean casserole in the microwave and thankfully I'd already baked all the desserts.

I got rave reviews that year. It will be fine. Give it a go, and have fun experimenting.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Does a turkey brown in an electric roaster?
No. It works just like using one of those old enameled turkey roasters with a lid in the oven - the turkey will not brown up with the lid on because, as bevz has already noted, it's not really "roasting" - it's baking or steaming.

On the up side - they work great!

But, if your objective is a golden crispy crust on the turkey you will have to use the oven for the bird and use the roaster for some of the side dishes.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Sous Chef

My grandmother used a roaster for the turkey for as long as I can remember (we're talking early 1950's here). When she died, I inherited her roaster. I've used it since the early 1990's. I've had the power cord replaced, but nothing else.

It's always made a beautiful turkey. The only thing she did (and I still do) is she covered the little glass window with foil. I think she did it so it would brown on top.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I'd have to disagree with some of you. I've got a Rival Top Browning Roaster Oven. It's 18 qt. I can roast up to a 22 lb. turkey in mine. (I don't know if Nesco has a top browning roaster.) I make chickens and turkeys in it all the time. It works just like the oven and does brown it very nicely. You can still get the nice crispy crust on your turkey if you have the top browner. You wouldn't know the difference being roasted in the oven or the roaster oven. I've had mine over 5 years and have used it every Thanksgiving and Christmas for my turkeys.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Head Chef

go ahead and disagree, I was talking about a roaster that did not have a browning device and the prime rib came out less than desirable, and it did not have a nice, brown crust, just speaking from my experience. I believe a top browning element would make a big difference.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None