"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-24-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Head Chef

Thanksgiving Turkey - Recipes please

Please share your thanksgiving turkey recipe along with stuffing. I don't eat pork and I am a bit tired of the plain ole turkey( brined and stuffed with onions, celery etc) and stuffing. Anything that is a bit on the unique end is fair game and it should not have sausage or pork in it. I always get stuck either making a turkey or stuffing and hence I need some ideas ahead of time to do some proper planning.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, we need to start thinking about this, people. We are invited out this year so I need only get some new stuffing ideas. I'm thinking something with dried cranberries and pecans might be good - anyone got a recipe using those?

Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Executive Chef

We always smoke our turkey served with dressing. Might try a fried turkey.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

How about deep fried with White Castle stuffing? Oh, and beer, gotta have beer with it..

John
Old 09-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Turkey Roasted with Citrus

This is a simple but really delicious turkey.

Turkey Roasted with Citrus
1 turkey (size up to you)
Oranges and lemons (~ 3 oranges and 2 lemons)
Onions, sliced into thick rings, keep rings together
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh rosemary sprigs
Butter, cut into chunks
2 c Orange juice

1.Clean the turkey and rub the inside with salt and pepper.
2.Pull the skin away and stuff onion rings, rosemary sprigs, and butter chunks between the skin and the breast.
3.Cut fruit into halves and squeeze the juice from the oranges and lemons over the top of the turkey.
4.Put the squeezed oranges and lemons into the cavity of the turkey along with additional rosemary sprigs.
5.Pour OJ over the top of the turkey; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place any leftover onion rings on top of the turkey.
6. Roast covered in a preheated 325F oven for the appropriate time per pound (~ 20 mins per lb.). Baste turkey while roasting if desired.
7.Uncover the roasting pan towards the end of roasting in order to brown. Discard the fruit in the cavity before serving.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

This recipe is from my cookbook "You Can be A Great Cook With Poultry". Hope you like it.

Smokey Barbecued Turkey
The first time I made this recipe, I was experimenting as usual. Id had great success with barbecuing Cornish Game hens, whole chickens, and other types of roasts. And since the barbecue gave me such extraordinary results, I figured Id give it a try with turkey.
I traveled into Canada, to a small community called Hayden Lake, to a good friends house. We brought with us the trusty Webber Grill, the turkey, and a bag of charcoal. We arrived, swam in a nearby lake with our friends, and then fired up the grill. The rest is history. Those same friends who shared that turkey were so impressed with its quality, that when their eldest son got married, they asked me to barbecue two smoked turkeys for the reception. Of course I agreed. Though the wedding was several states away, these people were my friends, and how could I say no to the thrill of giving my best for such an occasion. Besides, my ego was boosted just a bit, though I knew that the wedding guests wouldnt have a clue who cooked the bird. I knew, and the grooms father knew.
So heres the technique. Share it with your family and closest friends. Who knows; maybe youll be asked to give your best to someone you love.
Ingredients:
15 lb. Whole Turkey
1 whole Onion
2 cloves Garlic, minced
 stick softened butter
Salt shaker filled with salt
Pepper Grinder filled with whole pepper
6 - 7 " sticks of dried maple, birch, apple, or any combination of the three

Separate the charcoal into two banks on opposite sides of the grill, heaping them to within an inch of the cooking grate. Make a drip pan out of aluminum foil and place between the banks to verify the fit, then remove. Light both banks of charcoal. When coals are completely lit and glowing red, place the drip pan between the banks. Put the cooking grate back on the grill.

Place the thawed turkey onto a suitable clean working surface. Remove the neck and giblets to a sauce pan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.

While the neck and giblets are cooking, dry the entire bird thoroughly with paper towels. Then rub the softened butter over the whole bird. Sprinkle the salt onto the skin. Grate fresh pepper all over as well. Fill the cavity with the chopped onion, garlic, and fresh sage leaves. Cover the wing tips with foil. Place meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast meat, taking care to avoid the bone. Cover the thermometer face with foil to protect it from the smoke.

Remove the cooking grate from the grill and place the wood on top of the hot coals. Replace the grid. Place the turkey over the drip pan and immediately cover. Close all vents to the  open position.
Check for continued smoke every twenty minutes, adding wood as needed. Also check the fire to make sure it’s burning on both sides of the grill.

Figure about 10 minutes per pound, or about two hours and thirty minutes for a 15 pound turkey. After that time has elapsed, check the thermometer temperature every 10 minutes. Remove turkey to a suitable pan or platter when the temperature reaches 165' F. Let rest for fifteen to twenty minutes. REmove the breast from the carcass and carve against teh grain into thin slices and serve. Save the carcass, leg bones, and wings for soup.

My dressings come out less than perfect, so I'll let someone else give you that part of the meal.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Head Chef

Goodweed thankyou now that does sound unique and very good. I will add it to my list.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Thanksgiving turkey azn style - soy sauce green onion, sugar, garlic let it sit with the turkey in a plastic bag in the fridge for like a few days then you atke it out to cook in the oven
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Yakuta - Have you ever thought of doing a 'curry dusted' turkey? Rub the turkey with a wonderful curry mixture (I wouldn't begin to suggest one to you!), maybe have a basmati rice, almond, dried cranberry 'dressing'?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
Head Chef

Hi Marmalady, you sure are creative. No even being Indian I have never thought of making a curried turkey. I guess living in this country for so long and having all my family and extended family expect an American inspired turkey is the reason why. Maybe I will experiment. The basmati stuffing sounds like a very good plan. It will almost become a pilaf.

Thanks much for the idea, I will get out my spices (LOL) and start experimenting.

Tags
None