That white thing in chicken!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the big deal. Just take a paring knife and pull it out. Not difficult. Our food cannot always be sanitized for us.

What I don't understand is a few years ago it wasn't in the chicken so I wonder why it is now? I loved chicken breast that was the one meat I cooked with the most. Also it's in almost every single piece of meat you pick up. I gag just at the thought of it. Needless to say I gave up chicken because of it, and it was my favorite meat. You cut it out of the chicken you seem to not have much left. Your paying more for the tendon than the chicken. I wish they would go Back to the way it used to be.
I've never seen a chicken (or any meat) without tendons, except maybe in a Chicken McNugget. And I'm not really sure that really qualifies as chicken. :huh:

What I don't understand is a few years ago it wasn't in the chicken so I wonder why it is now? I loved chicken breast that was the one meat I cooked with the most. Also it's in almost every single piece of meat you pick up. I gag just at the thought of it. Needless to say I gave up chicken because of it, and it was my favorite meat. You cut it out of the chicken you seem to not have much left. Your paying more for the tendon than the chicken. I wish they would go Back to the way it used to be.

The tendon is attached to the chicken tender which is a separate muscle behind the breast. These tenders are usually removed and sold separately, which is why you don't usually see the tender with the tendon attached when you buy BS breasts. The tendon is the little white end on the tender and is how a muscle like the tender is attached to the skeleton.

I don't see it as something to gag over or give up chicken for but to each his own.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:

What is with dragging up a 7 year old post?? :ermm:

Welcome to DC :)

then they'd never get to the other side of the road.

the whitish tendon actually runs through the tenderloin.

i've tried to pull it out, as if to pull a bone, but that doesn't work. you just end up crushing the rest of the flesh. it's better to cut a little slit along it's length and remove it, if need be.

lol, steve, we finally agree on something. mcnuggets are nasty.

it gives me hope, though. you must have tried them once order to state an opinion. right as it is from great men as you and i. :)

Wow a cooking website and people are trying to start a fight with me over chicken. To the person who said they've never seen it without the tendon well you must not have been cooking very long. They use to package it without the tendon I promise. The size of the tendon overtakes the chicken so those tendons are apparently bigger than they used to be. I guess it's the steroids. The 7yr old post comments, so there's a deadline on the topics...lovely. To the comments that the chicken can't move I mean really that's beyond immature. Which every single reply is immature. It's my choice to eat what I want. I commented on this to tell that it used to not be there and that it makes me sick too. For all the immature rediculous comments it's worse for the site administrator. All your rules and you make a comment. I said nothing that should've been replied to in this manner and this disrespect.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, j. no offense was intended, i can assure you.

many of us are very comfortable joking around with each other and don't expect newbies to be so sensitive. not to worry, though. eben the best of us read things with a burr under our saddle from time to time when one wasn't intended.

your question has been answered, along with an entire community's input. i hope you can unclench and see that. from a larger perspective.
btw, i'm curious about a subjext that you brought up in ypur distemper

i've seen both positive and negative responses from the powers that be wherein recalling old posts was frowned upon and supported.

what say you, emporers of dc?

Last edited:
sorry, j. no offense was intended, i can assure you.

many of us are very comfortable joking around with each other and don't expect newbies to be so sensitive. not to worry, though. eben the best of us read things with a burr under our saddle from time to time when one wasn't intended.

your question has been answered, along with an entire community's input. i hope you can unclench and see that. from a larger perspective.
btw, i'm curious about a subjext that you brought up in ypur distemper

i've seen both positive and negative responses from the powers that be wherein recalling old posts was frowned upon and supported.

what say you, emporers of dc?

@buckytom thank you for that. I promise I do have a sense of humor but I don't know everyone well enough to know how to take your replies. I felt like I was being ganged on over chicken lol. But I thank you so much for replying.
P.S my whole families nuts so I have to have a sense of humor to deal with them, well that are spend my life crying and I'm not ready to flood KY :)

To the person who said they've never seen it without the tendon well you must not have been cooking very long.
Lol...I only started cooking 45 years ago, so not too long I guess. As for not seeing tendons, I usually buy whole chickens and cut them up myself. I guarantee there are tendons in every one of them I've seen.

Lighten up and relax. No one here is trying to start anything. I promise we're friendly.

Welcome to DC, JC! Pull up a chair at the kitchen table and have a cup of tea. There are some really nice people here, so don't be scared away. I hope you can learn to love chicken again. I sure do.:chef:

@buckytom thank you for that. I promise I do have a sense of humor but I don't know everyone well enough to know how to take your replies. I felt like I was being ganged on over chicken lol. But I thank you so much for replying.
P.S my whole families nuts so I have to have a sense of humor to deal with them, well that are spend my life crying and I'm not ready to flood KY :)

You know you may be sorry that you got to know us. Most of us are :wacko:, some are :rolleyes:, and others are still :ROFLMAO:. But most of us are really :angel:

For me, I have two imaginary kitties that are already two little tubbies. So I have them on a diet to get that weight off. We just built our own DC Koffee Klatch house. When life gets to be too much we can head over there and relax. The problem was everytime someone went there, the kitties would cry for food and got to be little tubbies real fast. Everyone was feeding them. So I have taken them here with me to get them back to the weight they should be. My favorite one is named Buttons. She says Hi to you.

buckytom (bt) and Andy each have a little boy in their lives that we all follow with a devotion. bt is very active with scouts and little league with his son. Andy has a grandson that absolutely adores his grandpa. Both of them are the kind of men that leave a very good mark on a child's life. The kind of men you want all children to look up to. A hero in any child's eyes.

Most of the folks here have pets that are very much members of the family. We have members from all over the world. Spelling doesn't count. A lot of our international members are in the process of learning English. Not an easy task. :angel:

Well I have to say that's awesome bt and Andy. There's so few people anymore that takes time out of there lives to spend with a child. Where I live there's alot more grandparents raising there gchildren then parents.
As for me I have 2little girls ones in heaven she was only a few hrs old when she passed. My body literally poisoned her. She was 2wks from my due date so she was fully developed & beautiful. My other beautiful daughter just turned 13. She's sweet (but has her sassy moments lol) but I'm one proud momma. When I was pregnant with the baby I lost I setup HELLP syndrome which went undetected for a very long time. I passed out one day my husband took me to the hospital and my body was in the beginning of multi organ failure with my liver being the worst. That was the beginning of a list of multiple illnesses that followed. I spent.2months straight in the hospital. I was on a doner list for a liver. Then this one Dr. who I owe my life literally diagnosed me with hellp and they treated me & my liver & me got better. My living daughter was my strength. I had a 2% chance to live & I'm setting here today & I'm glad I am. I've been married 14yrs to a wonderful man, & he never left my side when I was sick. I have my share of pets to, I have a Bassett hound who is about 12yrs old, I have a cat we named star who has mood swings one day she loves my Bassett hound, she will cuddle with him to sleep & the next she's trying to claw his eyes out. My hound is very protective of my daughter he got in a fight with a neighborhood doberman because it was trying to attack my daughter. He about lost his ear in the fight. He's a lover, not a fighter. Oh & we spoil our animals.

Now nice to meet everyone!!!!!

Howdy, jchilders!
Welcome to D.C.!
I know what it feels like to lose a child....I am glad you survived all those trials and tribulations. There are many here at D.C. who are no stranger to hard times and we know that we can lean on each other from time to time.
Welcome to the family!

Back
Top Bottom