That white thing in chicken!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
What in the heck is that white thing in chicken breasts? When raw, it looks like a white straw. When it's cooked, it's like gristle. I hate it!

Angie said:
What in the heck is that white thing in chicken breasts? When raw, it looks like a white straw. When it's cooked, it's like gristle. I hate it!
Most likely a tendon, I just cut it out before cooking,it just makes a impossible to chew bite:LOL:

kadesma

That could be it...no matter where I get the dang chicken from (meat counter, pre packaged, bonless breasts, bonless tenders), they still have that ugly white thing that is stronger than an ox!

I take the tendon and hold it with a knife and paper towel and pull it off. It usually comes right off cleanly - no cutting, etc. I hate them too.

licia said:
I take the tendon and hold it with a knife and paper towel and pull it off. It usually comes right off cleanly - no cutting, etc. I hate them too.

Same here Licia. My question is whats that slimmy clear white stuff thats sometimes between the meat and the skin. It looks like egg whites?

I hate touching the darn thing so I use some wire snippers and cut the thing out. It makes me gag. YUKKO

kadesma:LOL:

I don't know why they don't just cut it out for ya, especially when you get it at a meat counter, not prepackaged!

SizzlininIN said:
Same here Licia. My question is whats that slimmy clear white stuff thats sometimes between the meat and the skin. It looks like egg whites?

That's silverskin, Sizzlin...It's just connective tissue between the muscles. In larger animals, you need to remove it, as it's impossible to chew, but that's not a problem with poultry.
If the white thing you are talking about is where I think it is, that's just a tougher piece of connective tissue. I usually cut it off too.
There is a white, plastic-looking piece of gristle between the two breasts, which is easy to pull out, but you wouldn't be seeing that in boneless chicken breasts.

? Silverskin ? Now I've seen that on beef and pork. But on chicken? This looks just like egg whites not like that connective tissue you find on beef and pork that you slice off.

Constance said:
That's silverskin, Sizzlin...It's just connective tissue between the muscles. In larger animals, you need to remove it, as it's impossible to chew, but that's not a problem with poultry.
If the white thing you are talking about is where I think it is, that's just a tougher piece of connective tissue. I usually cut it off too.
There is a white, plastic-looking piece of gristle between the two breasts, which is easy to pull out, but you wouldn't be seeing that in boneless chicken breasts.

I know what you are talking about, that plastic looking piece. I hated that piece as a kid. The one I'm talking about looks like a straw! :LOL:

SizzlininIN said:
? Silverskin ? Now I've seen that on beef and pork. But on chicken? This looks just like egg whites not like that connective tissue you find on beef and pork that you slice off.

OK, so don't believe me. :mad:

If you buy a whole chicken and debone it yourself, you will find the cartilage between the breast bone, as constance pointed out. The white stuff on a breast to me looks like skin that the butcher didnt trim off since it's at the surface of the breast, and then there is that white long piece in the chicken tenders on the back of the breast, which I cut out or pull out.

Amber, it's that white long piece.

I've never actually bought a whole chicken before. Joe and I don't like dark meat and since it's usually just us two (or we have his 9 yr old here), there is no way we could eat all that.

One cornish hen and we still have left overs!

I didn't know what the thin tissue was called, but I've seen it on some types of fish also. I remove all that junk because I want just the real meat. I've noticed even in the best stores, all of that isn't always removed. That reminds me of something else I want to ask. LOOK for my question in salads, etc.

Last edited:
Here is a tip for you. If you use frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts take them from the freezer, thaw just a little, then get a sharp knife and trim off the bits you don't like, including the "silver skin" the left over fat bits and any tendons etc.
You will find it much easier to deal with the breasts while they are still mostly frozen.
OBTW same goes for other meats as well.

What I don't understand is a few years ago it wasn't in the chicken so I wonder why it is now? I loved chicken breast that was the one meat I cooked with the most. Also it's in almost every single piece of meat you pick up. I gag just at the thought of it. Needless to say I gave up chicken because of it, and it was my favorite meat. You cut it out of the chicken you seem to not have much left. Your paying more for the tendon than the chicken. I wish they would go Back to the way it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom