"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I remember when nobody wanted chicken livers in the early '80s, and they were like 24 cents/pound. I used to make all kinds of creative (and some not so imaginative like "chicken livers with onions) recipes. Now they're like $1.50/$2.00 per pound. PPL discovered you can make good stuff with chicken livers.
Yup. Same thing happened with wings about 20 years ago. You could get them dirt cheap. Now they are priced like breasts...

Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Yeah, exactly. And look at the price of whole chickens. I don't mean roasters or anything, just plain bag whole chickens. They used to be "cheep, cheep, cheep" but somehow the public discovered that you could just buy a whole chicken and part it out yourself.

The costs today have adjusted to the public not caring if they have to do a bit of chopping, slicing and parting to save some money. It seems as if the markets have assumed that if you buy a whole chicken you're going to part it out yourself, and they can part out 100 chickens for less than 1/100 of what labor it takes you to part out 1 chicken.

They've priced we frugal people out of the market. We might as well just buy skinned, boned breasts and thighs, or livers if we want them. Our free labor has been priced out of the product.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
I remember when nobody wanted chicken livers in the early '80s, and they were like 24 cents/pound. I used to make all kinds of creative (and some not so imaginative like "chicken livers with onions) recipes. Now they're like $1.50/$2.00 per pound. PPL discovered you can make good stuff with chicken livers.
I hate it when they do that! Oxtail is also way more expensive since it gained popularity. All my favourites have gone up

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

You can blame the increase in meat products on this past summer's drought. Farmers had to sell of part of their herd because there was a shortage of feed. No there is not so much meat on the market. Cattle and corn farmers got hit the hardest by the drought.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Wink

I call it the little bag of gold.
Put the contents in 1 1/2pt water, ( one and half pts ) with onion, S&P, some herbs and maybe a little carrot and some celery if you have it and simmer until you can put a knife through easy. Drain. now you have a choice. You can let it cool and freeze for a soup base at your leisure or use some as a gravy by adding a little thickener, depending on how much you want, or use as a wonderful base for a casserole another day. Will be fine in fridge for a week. Our dog gets the cooked bits as a treat with his dinner. Everybody wins!
Here in France you can buy separate containers of 10-12 hearts, or gizzards which is confited ( cooked slowly in duck or goose fat) and served as a warm salad on lettuce as a starter and tubs of chicken livers to turn into pate. All good stuff

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I hate it when they do that! Oxtail is also way more expensive since it gained popularity. All my favourites have gone up
I've been meaning to try that. I guess I missed the "wave."
Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
I've been meaning to try that. I guess I missed the "wave."
Have you never eaten oxtail? You're missing something great! I make kick a$$ oxtail, if you decide to ry it I'll give you my recipe

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #48
Head Chef

I ended up making a pate and it came out pretty good.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The bag of innards that comes inside of your chicken is just enough to make a small batch of dirty rice.

Fry the innards with some finely chopped garlic, onion, celery, carrots and green pepper. Toss in some salt, pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Then add about two cups of water and simmer for a half hour or more. Remove the meat, pick it off the bones of the neck and mince the remaining meat. Add it back to the pot with a cup of raw rice and cook for approx. 15 minutes.

Serve with some hot sauce.

Cheap and easy!
You get my vote!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When I found out Shrek liked liver I hit him on the head and dragged him back to my cave...now there was a man I could grow old with.
I love it! I love it! My husband and I both love liver, and a love of common foods is a real marriage tie for us (30 years soon!)(not necessarily liver).

Tags
chicken