"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #51
Master Chef

When I was young, Mom would take the bags of "innards" every time she roasted a chicken (often a Sunday dinner) and toss back into the freezer. When she had enough, she'd stew them (and yes, if you don't remove the livers early on, they will turn bitter and rubbery and flavor the entire mess). Then she'd pull out the necks, gizzards, hearts, and boil egg noodles in the broth until it was a lovely, sticky mess. As they were finishing, in went a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. I LOVED this meal. A dab of butter (well, we called it that, it was margarine), salt and pepper (Mom always had a love of fresh ground pepper) (had? She's still grinding pepper), a salad. Loved that meal. And it was sort of, as I put it now, found food. My fussy sis loved a neck. Daddy and I loved the livers and the rest, but mostly livers. Mom was for gizzards and heart. Two (at the time, another to come later) other sisters could easily live off the noodles and veggies.

Sis and I called it "lizards and gizzards".

I keep thinking to maybe make it some day, but don't cook a whole chicken often enough to get a meal even for two, so wind up putting the innards into a bag to add to bones for a later stock. When I can get them.

Anyone ever notice that sometimes chickens don't have them any more? How about when you buy a turkey and pull out the innards and realize that there is no way that big a bird could possibly live on those tiny innards? What did they do, take an 8 lb bird and put it's innards in the 22 pounder I bought?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I often buy a package of gizzards and hearts, boil them up and feast. Shrek won't eat them, so they are mine...all mine!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, throw in the roasted neck also and discard.

I always thought "stock" and "broth" were interchangeable, but I found this interesting. What's the Difference? Stock vs. Broth | The Kitchn
Wow! That's perfect. It's what I've been trying to say in all of those stock vs. broth posts over the years. Stock is the basic extraction of flavors from meat, bones, or veggies, or some combination of them. It's a basic liquid used to make other things. The way I think of it, Stock is what you stock your pantry with. Thanks for that post.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #54
Master Chef

I love the giblets, and am the only one in the house that does. I purchase a container of chicken livers occasionally to make a rich and smooth chicken liver pate'. It is so yummy.

And yes, simmer those giblets to make stock for rice, for gravy, to cook noodles in, to make soup, etc. And that neck meat. It's a challenge to remove from the neck. But go ahead and boil it up in salted water. Then gnaw on it. It is some of the best flavored meat on the chicken. And I'm not exagerating. If there was an easy way of separating it from the neck bones, I'd purchase chicken necks all the time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #55
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
... If there was an easy way of separating it from the neck bones, I'd purchase chicken necks all the time...
Go for the turkey necks. More meat and easier to de-flesh-ify.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My bad. It is turkey necks I chew on, after removing most of the meat for the dressing. It has savory/sweet flavor that is unmatched by the other turkey meat. Not sure why that is. But it is sooooo good. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Andy.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
My bad. It is turkey necks I chew on, after removing most of the meat for the dressing. It has savory/sweet flavor that is unmatched by the other turkey meat. Not sure why that is. But it is sooooo good. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Andy.

When turkey necks are cooked long enough, you can almost suck the meat out between the bones.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Have you never eaten oxtail? You're missing something great! I make kick a$$ oxtail, if you decide to ry it I'll give you my recipe
I've been coveting oxtails although in my present minimalistic cooking facilities I feel that I would postpone it until I have a better kitchen. Although believe me oxtails are on my list. Isn't that like Osso Bucco?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I often buy a package of gizzards and hearts, boil them up and feast. Shrek won't eat them, so they are mine...all mine!
My new local supermarket Super King has huge packages (2-3#) of you pick, chicken hearts, chicken gizzards, chicken livers.

Chicken livers are of course delicious. I'm tempted to come up with a chicken hearted recipe... :)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never gotten enough meat out of turkey necks unless it's a really big turkey, to add the meat to the gravy. I simmer the necks/liver/giblets for 1-2 hours minimum...

Tags
chicken