The bag of parts that come in the chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I've roasted chicken many times, but never! used the bag of parts that come in the cavity. Is there anything worthwhile with these parts? Is it healthy? Please give me some ideas. Should I freeze for now? THanks for any ideas. I'd love to put them to use especially if it's to any benefit to my health.

Hi. Those are organ meats - usually the heart, liver and gizzard - and have a lot of protein and iron; because of that, they have a mineraly taste. Some people like to bread and fry them; some use them to make stock for gravy. We cook them with a little butter in a small pan and chop them up for a treat for the cats.

I like the gizzard, heart and liver and cook them in the bottom of the roasting pan as a cooks treat. Some people save the neck to throw in a freezer bag with saved chicken parts and bones for making stock.
Liver has lots of iron.

The liver is good fried with bacon, maybe on toast, the heart, gizzard and neck are as Kayelle said, good roasted with the chicken to help make a good gravy, or if you have enough they make good chicken stock, especially if you cut off the extreme wing tips to add to the rest.

We chop them up fine and add them to the dressing at Thanksgiving. It really adds a lot of flavor to the dish. Other times I add them to leftover chicken parts when making stock like the others have said.

WHen you speak aobut "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is complete.

Whenever I have a bag o parts I make this recipe for giblet gravy Giblet Gravy Recipe
Since I'm cooking a whole roasting chicken, I may as well make some extra special gravy to go with it. Good stuff.

WHen you speak aobut "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is
complete.

Yes, throw in the roasted neck also and discard.

I always thought "stock" and "broth" were interchangeable, but I found this interesting. What's the Difference? Stock vs. Broth | The Kitchn

WHen you speak aobut "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is complete.
Sometimes it's just semantics, but generally speaking, stock is made with the bones and broth is made with the meat. I tend to use them interchangeably, though. I think many people do.

Pac, that gravy recipe sounds like it would be wonderful on some perfectly made Buttermilk Biscuits. ;)

That gravy would be good on a just spoon! :LOL:

It's a hearty gravy for sure. On top of some biscuits sounds awesome. :yum:

BTW, do you know a good recipe for perfect, flakey buttermilk biscuits? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The bag of innards that comes inside of your chicken is just enough to make a small batch of dirty rice.

Fry the innards with some finely chopped garlic, onion, celery, carrots and green pepper. Toss in some salt, pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Then add about two cups of water and simmer for a half hour or more. Remove the meat, pick it off the bones of the neck and mince the remaining meat. Add it back to the pot with a cup of raw rice and cook for approx. 15 minutes.

Serve with some hot sauce.

Cheap and easy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That gravy would be good on a just spoon! :LOL:

It's a hearty gravy for sure. On top of some biscuits sounds awesome. :yum:

BTW, do you know a good recipe for perfect, flakey buttermilk biscuits? :rolleyes:

Actually I do, Pac. It was generously shared recently by .40 caliber. I've also learned I should use cake flour, as White Lilly flour isn't available out here.

Buttermilk Biscuits

The bag of innards that comes inside of your chicken is just enough to make a small batch of dirty rice.

Fry the innards with some finely chopped garlic, onion, celery, carrots and green pepper. Toss in some salt, pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Then add about two cups of water and simmer for a half hour or more. Remove the meat, pick it off the bones of the neck and mince the remaining meat. Add it back to the pot with a cup of raw rice and cook for approx. 15 minutes.

Serve with some hot sauce.

Cheap and easy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Nice, Aunt Bea! Nowadays I would make that.

I remember the first Turkey Day that I cooked for the whole fam damnly. Mother and MIL were breathing down my neck to make sure I cooked the giblets, which I did, and promptly threw them away when they weren't looking. Giblets grossed me out.

I think you're supposed to do the liver separately, as it turns gravy cloudy.

Last edited:
Kay, cake flour? Yet another flour to keep? lol
As long as I can use it for gravy, I'm good ;^)

When you speak about "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is complete.

Keep in mind that the liver is often bitter. I usually cook it up separate and give it to the dog. Use the parts to make stock (broth) If you have the patience, you can pick the meat of the neck. It is really tasty. Otherwise toss it. Too many small bones for a family pet. :angel:

When I'm roasting a turkey I simmer the giblets (including the neck) for an hour or two to tenderize them, then shred or chop them all and add them to the gravy stock.

When roasting a chicken I put roast liver, heart and giblets on the side, (they roast quickly) and then I give the giblets to my dog and eat the heart and liver as a chef's snack, while I'm finishing cooking.

Goodness Gracious. Unlike what Mae West said ( what did goodness have to do with it) This is one time where goodness has everything to do and it gives more than that little bag holds. She also said, "too much of a good thing can be wonderful". Somejhow I don't think she was referring to fried chicken.

Giblet gravy, Yes. I like Aunt Bea's idea to make dirty rice.

I wrap the chicken liver around a piece o bacon and have a party for one. The giblets and neck get cooked up to make chicken gravy. Regrets, there is only one liver, and I seldom buy a whole chicken, so when I do, they better have included that little bag o' goodness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom