"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
Executive Chef

The Littlest Turkey!

We're having a quiet T-giving here - me, hubbie, son, (#1 son has to work til 8 :x ), and maybe hubbie's boss - don't know yet. So hubbie and son are vegetarians, they'll get a 'Tofurkey' or something.

Anyhoooo, was at the store and found 'Little Butterball' - 7 1/2 lb turkey! He's so cute I may not be able to cook him - I'll just pull him out of the freezer every now and then!

Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 PM   #2

Marmalady, is that a "turkey" or a "capon"?

I don't believe I've ever seen a turkey less than 12 lbs...there's just too much bone in the carcass (to the detriment of how much meat you get off of it...)

On the other hand, some perversity out there discovered that if you castrate a rooster at a young age (and WHO does this operation? Something else I've never figured out, but the SPCA should come down hard, with both heels together from great height, on the son of a gun), it loses interest in "natural" activities, and commences to get more interested in eating, and accordingly oversized and fat...

The Capon is knock down dead absolutely WONDERFUL eating, and you and your small grouping are in for a delectable treat, and if some of the rest want to be vegetarians, well, there's that much more for you, and you will just LOVE it!

The perfect bird for brining and "beer-butting" or in that quaint Texan phrase of Audeo "Tamponing"...okay, I'm starting to drool, here, and wonder where I can find one...

Lifter

Old 11-04-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Lifter - it is a young turkey - made by Butterball. I'm sure they would say if it was a capon.

My granddaddy used to castrate his roosters; made for less fights in the barnyard! He only let the biggest, strongest ones in with the hens, the others found their way to the table eventually.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Head Chef

Old 11-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Lifter - it is a young turkey - made by Butterball. I'm sure they would say if it was a capon.

My granddaddy used to castrate his roosters; made for less fights in the barnyard! He only let the biggest, strongest ones in with the hens, the others found their way to the table eventually.
why was your granddaddy fighting with the roosters? castration is a tough price to pay for losing. what happened when the roosters won?

btw, that's where coq au vin comes from. the coq is rooster, not chicken. much heartier flavor....

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Cook

WOW, the smallest I ever had was around 10lbs. That will cook quick, make sure it does not dry out. I would love to try it.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Bucky - lol! Actually all the barnyard critters were skeered of grampop - they sure knew he was coming!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

marmalady: I've had those lil' butterballs quite. They are a great little turkey. Butterball puts alot of butter under the skin and there is usually alot of it in the cavity and all over the outside of the bird. Be sure to wipe a good part of it off or it will come out pretty messy. Good luck with your bird. Donna
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 AM   #9
Executive Chef

TY, Donna! I'm looking forward to it!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Head Chef

Diestel (organic, hormone free)also has a small turkey for, they call it their every day turkey...I don't remember their name for it though...

Tags
None