"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Master Chef

TNT "Chicken Hungarian Goulash"

In honor of horror film icon Bela Lugosi's birthday (today), here's my favorite chicken goulash recipe that I devised from a combination of my mom's veal goulash & part of a French recipe for Cassoulet. Recipe experiments work in mysterious ways - go figure - lol!!!

Anyway, was going to make this tonight for dinner with a nice "blood"-red wine, but since we're doing dinner & a movie out tonight, made this last night instead in honor of one of my favorite horror film stars. Enjoy - preferably while viewing "Dracula".

CHICKEN HUNGARIAN GOULASH

1 pkge. (approx. 1 pound or so) boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Extra-virgin oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
Hot Hungarian paprika (or freshly ground black pepper)
1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, undrained
1 8-oz. container sour cream
Cooked buttered egg noodles for serving

Coat bottom of large coverable skillet with olive oil. Brown chicken pieces lightly for a few minutes. Add onions, garlic, & celery & sauté until vegetables just begin to soften, being careful not to let garlic brown/burn. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, & bay leaves. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes or so, until chicken pieces are just cooked thru. Remove cover & continue simmering until liquid has reduced to a stew-like consistency (or to consistency of your taste). Remove bay leaves & stir in sauerkraut, heating thru. Add hot paprika (or black pepper) to taste. Turn off heat & stir in sour cream. Serve over cooked buttered egg noodles.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If I bone my chicken thighs, I have everything needed to make this. Thanks for a great recipe! (and, I picked up homemade sauerkraut at the Farmer's Market today!)

Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

Sounds great Breezy. Aspects remind me of goulash, coq au vin, and bigos. Gotta remember this one. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

That sounds so wonderful...I just wish I could get my husband to eat sauerkraut.
I wonder if I could make up a batch and put kraut in only half of it?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Sauerkraut

Sounds so different. You must like it since you posted it so I will give it a try. As for sauerkraut, that is really something not too many people seem to eat but have been told that it is very very healthy for you. Something about helping the stomach and that is what I need. Got lot of problems due to past life.

Thanks, Breezy.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
Master Chef

Constance - believe it or not, my husband also HATES sauerkraut, but for some reason he does like it in this dish. Maybe because it's a relatively small amount (just one little 8 oz. can) &/or becomes somewhat innocuous when blended with all the other ingredients?

I'm sure, however, that you could make it without the kraut (sniff, sniff) & then just stir some into yours. The kraut really does add a definite tang that I think you'd like if you like kraut. Definitely makes it "goulashy" - lol!!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks BreezyCooking - I just copied off and saved your recipe. I do like a good genuine Hungarian goulash and if you say your version is a good chicken goulash I trust you - will make it.

Tags
None