SAUTEED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
4 Boneless Skinless Breast Halves (6 to 8 Ounces Each)
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 Pound Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Cup Onion, Diced
1/2 Cup Dry Sherry
1 Cup Chicken Stock
2/3 Cup Half & Half
4 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme, Chopped
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Mix together flour and nutmeg. Set aside 2 Tablespoons of mixture and put remainder on plate.
2. Pound all breast halves to about ½ inch thick, season with salt & pepper.
3. Dredge two of the breast halves in flour mixture.
4. Melt half the butter in hot 5-quart saute pan over medium heat; saute two floured breasts halves about 3 to 4 minutes per side; place cooked breasts on clean plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 with remaining butter and breasts.
6. Add mushrooms and onion to pan, saute until brown, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add reserved flour mixture to pan and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
8. Add sherry to pan and stir about 30 seconds to loosen brown bits on bottom of pan; add stock and half & half to pan and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
9. Reduce heat to medium-low, place chicken on top of mushrooms; simmer uncovered about 5 minutes to heat chicken and thicken gravy; add salt & pepper if needed.
10. Garnish with chopped thyme & serve.