"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
View Poll Results: To Stuff or Not to Stuff?
yes 11 55.00%
no 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #11
Ask (J)enema to explain her claim on over-cooking stuffing, against the odds, and why its got to be that hot, in spite of surrounding meat temperatures...and we can all review the data...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:09 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Lifter, I know Jennyma will chime in here, but just to offer a few thoughts -
When the stuffing is in the bird, it absorbs blood and juices from the bird as it cooks; thus one of the reasons the stuffing has to be 'up to temp'; the surrounding temp of the bird has nothing to do with the temp of the stuffing. (apples and oranges - turkeys and chickens - beef and pork ) It's going to take longer for the stuffing to come up to temp inside the bird, as it's 'insulated' by the bird.

A lot of stuffings are made with raw egg, raw sausage, giblet or other raw meat combos. Putting it in a nice little enclosed space, then not having it come up to temp rapidly just provides a breeding ground for bacteria. Just as leaving food sit out in a warm room is a breeding ground for bacteria.

If you want more confirmation, just 'google' 'stuffing temperatures + contamination'; there were too many subjects for me to post links, but you'll find all the info you need.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #13
Master Chef

I'm just stating the facts. The FDA and other reputable sources confirm that stuffing (the bread/edible kind) cooked within a turkey must reach 165 degrees to be safe to eat. This is because of salmonella and other foodbourne illnesses, not because of the ingredients in the stuffing. Like marmalady says, stuffing absorbs blood and juices from the bird. BOTH the turkey meat and the stuffing need to be cooked to a certain temperature to kill foodbourne illness and be safe to eat. For stuffing, that temp is 165.

But often cooking the stuffing to 165 takes so long that the rest of the bird overcooks.

Thus the dilemma.

Sure you can eat undercooked stuffing, raw eggs and poultry and a ham sandwich you made on a unwashed cutting board you just used to cut up a chicken without getting sick. But every time you do, you are rolling the dice and taking a chance at getting sick.

I am just stating the food safety facts here. Everyone needs to take those facts into consideration and make decisions on their own, obviously. Me, I'll stuff the cavity with aromatics and cook my edible stuffing outside the bird.

By the way, as others here will attest, I never post information that I am not personally quite sure of. I do not "believe everything I read onthe internet."

Please read this: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/tbstuff.htm

And this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #14
Executive Chef
We don't stuff either for those same reasons. We make dressing on the side.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #15
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Ruth
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Check out Alton Brown's Thanksgiving turkey recipe, it's a winner.
Where could I find this recipe. I love Alton Brown and his scientific cooking explanations.

Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

I am not fond of the aromatics he uses in his brine. You should use herbs and spices that appeal to you, but if you brine, do use his ratio of salt and sugar to water.

For the science of it (including his take on stuffing ), look here: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Refer...2001-11-20.htm
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #16
I stuff. I am also sure you would think my turkey over cooked, but we like our turkey and chicken well done, so of course our stuffing is safe.
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
i miss real stuffing. not allowed to make it anymore, not because of the salmonella problem, but because it absorbs all of the fat.

we usually just put an apple, some herbs, and an onion in the boid to add moisture.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
we stuff and we're going to continue stuffing.
if we keel over i guess we'll learn then.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #19
Executive Chef
We smoke our turkeys, so they are cooked at a much lower temp than most folks using an oven. Smoke flavor is not good on everything, stuffing being one of them.

We have never ever had an issue with dry turkey when smoking them, so have never seen the need to brine it either. They really come already brined anyway.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer
I will vouch for Jennyema's info. She always has facts to back up her claims and does not just spout out info that she heard somewhere. She can always back it up with cold hard facts.

As for me, well I have never cooked a turkey myself so I can't really say much on this topic. If I were to try though I would not cook the stuffing inside the bird because while it is true that you could do it a million times and not get sick, it is that one time that you do get sick that you will be sorry.

Here is a thought (and probably a flawed one at that)... What if you somehow rigged your turkey sort of like the beer can chicken, but instead of the beer can you just had the stuffing under the cavity of the turkey. That way the juices would drip down onto the stuffing as it cooked. Well I guess that would not work because the turkey would not cook right (too close to the flame or element maybe?). Oh well, just a thought.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote