"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Turducken?

Has anyone ever done this?

It involves boning the turkey (taking out the breast and ribcage, lying the breast meat flat, layering some stuffing alternately between boned duck and boned chicken breasts.

Then the entire section is closed and sewed together. The wings and legs are left intact. But the thing takes much longer to roast -possibly up to 13 hours
depending on the size of the turkey itself.

I'd like to someday do a scaled down boneless breast version without the legs and wings. has anyone done it that way before? The regular way feeds an Army. I don't want that much.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never done it, but hope to one day. I have saved Paul Prudhomme's recipe with pictures for that fateful day.

PP's version starts with a whole boned and stuffed chicken. Then a whole boned duck with stuffing is wrapped around the chicken. Then, as you said, a partially deboned turkey (leave the leg and wing bones intact) is layered with stuffing and wrapped around the duck/chicken.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I forgot to mention that I saw Paula Deen do one on her cooking show Paula's Home Cooking. Her hubby Michael helped her fasten it up.

Also, on Guy Feri's show Diner's, Drive-ins & Dives, he visited a restaurant where it was done as well.

I read the link. Thank you.

Good recipe, but it's way too much for me! I'll just have to devise a plan to make a scaled-down roll version of it with just the breast meat from all three, layer them with the stuffing, roll it all up and roast it.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
...I'll just have to devise a plan to make a scaled-down roll version of it with just the breast meat from all three, layer them with the stuffing, roll it all up and roast it.

That should work too. Keep us posted when you try it.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Ok. But I more than likely will be doing it in the spring for a Sunday dinner.

And I'll have to work on getting the meat for it.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never done it, but hope to one day. I have saved Paul Prudhomme's recipe with pictures for that fateful day.

PP's version starts with a whole boned and stuffed chicken. Then a whole boned duck with stuffing is wrapped around the chicken. Then, as you said, a partially deboned turkey (leave the leg and wing bones intact) is layered with stuffing and wrapped around the duck/chicken.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.
can anyone tell me why and what is the point of making it? seems like a lot of work just for a convsation starter.

babe
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

It's not just a conversation starter.

It is a traditional holiday roast in the South. While it is a lot of work, it's done for special occasions when special meals are part of the celebration.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
can anyone tell me why and what is the point of making it?
The same as making any other type of food...It tastes good.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

It also nearly doubles the size of the turkey, thus it can accommodate a huge crowd - hence the reason that I want to do a much smaller scaled-down version of it.

I couldn't possibly eat all of that alone! This idea wasn't around when we were all at home and my mom would cook for the holidays. I could be wrong though.

Yes Andy, it IS a favorite in the South, though no one in my family has done it. I never knew how deep-fried turkey tasted until my dear late brother who lived in SC told me about it and had me try some of it.

He and his two sons would always call me and ask; "When are you going down to visit us?" My reply always was; "Will you guys deep fry some turkey?"

I've done that one only once because still, it's too much and the huge deep fryer uses a lot of peanut oil and the oil is ridiculously expensive!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
It also nearly doubles the size of the turkey, thus it can accommodate a huge crowd - hence the reason that I want to do a much smaller scaled-down version of it.

I couldn't possibly eat all of that alone! This idea wasn't around when we were all at home and my mom would cook for the holidays. I could be wrong though.

Yes Andy, it IS a favorite in the South, though no one in my family has done it. I never knew how deep-fried turkey tasted until my dear late brother who lived in SC told me about it and had me try some of it.

He and his two sons would always call me and ask; "When are you going down to visit us?" My reply always was; "Will you guys deep fry some turkey?"

I've done that one only once because still, it's too much and the huge deep fryer uses a lot of peanut oil and the oil is ridiculously expensive!

We visited family in Florida for Christmas and they did a deep fried turkey for Christmas dinner. It was as good as ever.

I was charged with making Christmas Eve dinner which was more traditional in nature (roast beef and mashed potato, etc).

Tags
None