"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
jerseyjay14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd go with the turkey gravy for the whole thing.

You could add a stuffing in the top layer. Keep the gravy under the duck skin.
Will-Do. What stuffing would you suggest with the duck? i supposed it would be a good idea from a hold things together standpoint as well.
__________________

__________________
jerseyjay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14 View Post
Will-Do. What stuffing would you suggest with the duck? i supposed it would be a good idea from a hold things together standpoint as well.

Check out THIS site for inspiration.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
jerseyjay14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Check out THIS site for inspiration.
i've been their for the last 15 minutes.... get out of my head!
__________________
jerseyjay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
I’m thinking I’m going to use sausage dressing (stuffing). No noodles. I figure the only thing “lasagna” about this is the layering idea in a baking dish. If I can’t find duck, I’m thinking Cornish Hen, but I’ll try to find a duck….I think Kroeger here carries them. Also, going to use Turkey Gravy since, IMO it has a stronger flavor.

A little gravy in the bottom of the dish to coat it, then a thin layer of dressing, then the shredded duck meat, then gravy and another layer of dressing. Then shredded chicken and gravy, then another layer of dressing. Then the shredded turkey and gravy.

Here I’m getting stumped. Should the top layer be finished off with more dressing? Is that too much dressing? I figure to make thin dressing layers and then pack and smooth it, but is this too much dressing to have a final top layer?

Alternatively, bake uncovered and then top with cheese and french fried onions to make a top curst?

What about a thin layer of mashed potatoes on top to seal it? Kind of like a Sheppard’s Pie?

What about adding veggies to the layers? Maybe onions and mushrooms to the duck layer. Dice broccoli to the chicken layer. Maybe peas and diced carrots to the turkey layer? Bell Peppers are an option for color, but they are a bit strong in flavor.

Thoughts?
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Keltin, here in the sticks, I can get frozen duckling at Wal-Mart. You might check there, too.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
...Here I’m getting stumped. Should the top layer be finished off with more dressing? Is that too much dressing? I figure to make thin dressing layers and then pack and smooth it, but is this too much dressing to have a final top layer?

Alternatively, bake uncovered and then top with cheese and french fried onions to make a top curst?

What about a thin layer of mashed potatoes on top to seal it? Kind of like a Sheppard’s Pie?

What about adding veggies to the layers? Maybe onions and mushrooms to the duck layer. Dice broccoli to the chicken layer. Maybe peas and diced carrots to the turkey layer? Bell Peppers are an option for color, but they are a bit strong in flavor.

Thoughts?
I'd go with the last layer of stuffing. I wouldn't want the turkey to be at the top.

No cheese. The stuffing will seal it.

Also, I'd skip added veggies. There could be onion and mushrooms along with other veggies in the stuffing(s)
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Wal-mart has been hit and miss for me and duck. I did buy one there once, but here lately, now that I’m wanting to try it again, I’ve not seen it. I’ll keep looking.

Good points Andy, I’ll stick with stuffing only, and will seal the top with stuffing. This should be pretty dang good. Basically, an over the top stuffing, but still very cool!

AND....................I'll top each serving of this monster with a slice of........................canned jellied cranberry sauce!!

Seriously though, this is sounding very good! Don't know if I'll wait till Thanksgiving to do this, but it will be done in the near future!
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Oh, here’s a serious thought.

Breast meat is great, but can dry out. What meat would you use in this, white or dark? Dark has more fat and great flavor and holds up well to cooking without drying out. But, if I do this soon or even at Thanksgiving, I’ll need the meat of each bird. So I’m thinking whole roasted Turkey breast (leftover meat for sandwiches and other things). Cut a chicken up and use just the pieces needed (either both breasts or the leg quarters….white or dark? : then freeze the rest), and then a whole duck, boned and butchered so I can choose……breast meat or wing and quarters (and freeze the rest or make another dish immediately)?

I’m thinking dark meat for duck and chicken, and then white for the Turkey since I’ll be using a smallish breast.

Thoughts?
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
If the turkey and chicken are cooked to 165 F and not a lot more, they won't be dry in the lasagna. Once you assemble the lasagna, you are just baking it long enough to heat all the components. This is more of an issue with the chicken and turkey breast meat. Duck is all dark meat. You won't have a problem with it.

You could assemble the lasagna so all the dark meat from the chicken and turkey are at one end and all the white meat is at the other end. That way, you can give everyone their preferred choice.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #20
Senior Cook
 
jerseyjay14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Oh, here’s a serious thought.

Breast meat is great, but can dry out. What meat would you use in this, white or dark? Dark has more fat and great flavor and holds up well to cooking without drying out. But, if I do this soon or even at Thanksgiving, I’ll need the meat of each bird. So I’m thinking whole roasted Turkey breast (leftover meat for sandwiches and other things). Cut a chicken up and use just the pieces needed (either both breasts or the leg quarters….white or dark? : then freeze the rest), and then a whole duck, boned and butchered so I can choose……breast meat or wing and quarters (and freeze the rest or make another dish immediately)?

I’m thinking dark meat for duck and chicken, and then white for the Turkey since I’ll be using a smallish breast.

Thoughts?

i'm going with all dark meat. They sell pre-cooked rotisserie turkey at my grocer... you may want to look for something similar. I'll go with boneless chicken thighs for the chicken layer
__________________

__________________
jerseyjay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.