TurDucken Lasagna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
Saw a re-run of one of the season 2 episodes of "top chef" The challenge was to prepare a cutting edge thanksgiving dinner and the guy mike had suggested something along the lines of a 'turducken lasagna' they didn't end up making it but i though it might be worth a shot as i have some leftover duck parts and turkey in the fridge...

Was wondering what approach people would take on this? I've made a ton of lasagna but nothing quite like this. im thinking a layer of turkey, a layer of duck and a layer of chicken but not sure what kind of sauce to use with it or what to top it with...

anyone have any creative suggestions?

Good start. Also three layers of different stuffings.

The sauce would have to be gravy!

You could leave out the noodles and let the stuffing take the place of the pasta.

I make lasagna rolls. Lay out cooked lasagna pasta, make a layer of whatever filling you want, then roll it up like sushi. Place in a baking pan and throw it in the oven for 45 minutes.

I would probobly use some sort of cream sauce or chicken gravy. Maybe include some veggies somehow?

To make it resemble classic lasagne,you could make a cacciatore suace for the chicken layer , a bechamel with parmesan for the turkey layer andsauteed mushrooms with garlic and olives for the duck layer.

I often make meals with everything inside.Basically I clean out the fridge of all the odds and ends and throw in this and that and it's amazing what good things are created!

I agree, i think i'll be making this as well... i love the 3 different stuffings idea. Gravy seems like a great choice but im a bit hesitant to go with the differeny gravy' sauces as it might just be too overwelming...

what would be the best gravy to go with across the board? turkey? chicken? anyone got a good gravy recipe for this?

I'm Thinking of layering it something like this: Top to bottom

Top Layer

Gravy
Crisped Duck Skin
Duck
Lasagna Noodles
Gravy
Traditional stuffing
Turkey (dark meat)
Lasagna Noodles
Gravy
Cornbread stuffing and Chicken (dark meat)
Lasagna Noodles

...I'm thinking i could crisp 4 or 5 long strips of criped duck skin and have that be the very top with a gravy/sauce over it

thoughts? suggestions?

I'd go with the turkey gravy for the whole thing.

You could add a stuffing in the top layer. Keep the gravy under the duck skin.

I'd go with the turkey gravy for the whole thing.

You could add a stuffing in the top layer. Keep the gravy under the duck skin.

Will-Do. What stuffing would you suggest with the duck? i supposed it would be a good idea from a hold things together standpoint as well.

I’m thinking I’m going to use sausage dressing (stuffing). No noodles. I figure the only thing “lasagna” about this is the layering idea in a baking dish. If I can’t find duck, I’m thinking Cornish Hen, but I’ll try to find a duck….I think Kroeger here carries them. Also, going to use Turkey Gravy since, IMO it has a stronger flavor.

A little gravy in the bottom of the dish to coat it, then a thin layer of dressing, then the shredded duck meat, then gravy and another layer of dressing. Then shredded chicken and gravy, then another layer of dressing. Then the shredded turkey and gravy.

Here I’m getting stumped. Should the top layer be finished off with more dressing? Is that too much dressing? I figure to make thin dressing layers and then pack and smooth it, but is this too much dressing to have a final top layer?

Alternatively, bake uncovered and then top with cheese and french fried onions to make a top curst?

What about a thin layer of mashed potatoes on top to seal it? Kind of like a Sheppard’s Pie?

What about adding veggies to the layers? Maybe onions and mushrooms to the duck layer. Dice broccoli to the chicken layer. Maybe peas and diced carrots to the turkey layer? Bell Peppers are an option for color, but they are a bit strong in flavor.

Thoughts?

...Here I’m getting stumped. Should the top layer be finished off with more dressing? Is that too much dressing? I figure to make thin dressing layers and then pack and smooth it, but is this too much dressing to have a final top layer?

Alternatively, bake uncovered and then top with cheese and french fried onions to make a top curst?

What about a thin layer of mashed potatoes on top to seal it? Kind of like a Sheppard’s Pie?

What about adding veggies to the layers? Maybe onions and mushrooms to the duck layer. Dice broccoli to the chicken layer. Maybe peas and diced carrots to the turkey layer? Bell Peppers are an option for color, but they are a bit strong in flavor.

Thoughts?

I'd go with the last layer of stuffing. I wouldn't want the turkey to be at the top.

No cheese. The stuffing will seal it.

Also, I'd skip added veggies. There could be onion and mushrooms along with other veggies in the stuffing(s)

Wal-mart has been hit and miss for me and duck. I did buy one there once, but here lately, now that I’m wanting to try it again, I’ve not seen it. I’ll keep looking.

Good points Andy, I’ll stick with stuffing only, and will seal the top with stuffing. This should be pretty dang good. Basically, an over the top stuffing, but still very cool!

AND....................I'll top each serving of this monster with a slice of........................canned jellied cranberry sauce!! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, this is sounding very good! Don't know if I'll wait till Thanksgiving to do this, but it will be done in the near future!

Oh, here’s a serious thought.

Breast meat is great, but can dry out. What meat would you use in this, white or dark? Dark has more fat and great flavor and holds up well to cooking without drying out. But, if I do this soon or even at Thanksgiving, I’ll need the meat of each bird. So I’m thinking whole roasted Turkey breast (leftover meat for sandwiches and other things). Cut a chicken up and use just the pieces needed (either both breasts or the leg quarters….white or dark? : then freeze the rest), and then a whole duck, boned and butchered so I can choose……breast meat or wing and quarters (and freeze the rest or make another dish immediately)?

I’m thinking dark meat for duck and chicken, and then white for the Turkey since I’ll be using a smallish breast.

Thoughts?

If the turkey and chicken are cooked to 165 F and not a lot more, they won't be dry in the lasagna. Once you assemble the lasagna, you are just baking it long enough to heat all the components. This is more of an issue with the chicken and turkey breast meat. Duck is all dark meat. You won't have a problem with it.

You could assemble the lasagna so all the dark meat from the chicken and turkey are at one end and all the white meat is at the other end. That way, you can give everyone their preferred choice.

Oh, here’s a serious thought.

Breast meat is great, but can dry out. What meat would you use in this, white or dark? Dark has more fat and great flavor and holds up well to cooking without drying out. But, if I do this soon or even at Thanksgiving, I’ll need the meat of each bird. So I’m thinking whole roasted Turkey breast (leftover meat for sandwiches and other things). Cut a chicken up and use just the pieces needed (either both breasts or the leg quarters….white or dark? : then freeze the rest), and then a whole duck, boned and butchered so I can choose……breast meat or wing and quarters (and freeze the rest or make another dish immediately)?

I’m thinking dark meat for duck and chicken, and then white for the Turkey since I’ll be using a smallish breast.

Thoughts?

i'm going with all dark meat. They sell pre-cooked rotisserie turkey at my grocer... you may want to look for something similar. I'll go with boneless chicken thighs for the chicken layer

Back
Top Bottom