"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Attachment 12708

Attachment 12709

These are the best things for lifting a Turkey. They are called bear claws. The mail order place they came from (20 years ago) is no longer in business. It was called Walter Drake. I have seen other turkey lifters but none as great as these.

Also a great tool for shredding pork shoulder for pulled pork.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Executive Chef

makes you feel like cooking a bird just so you can get to use your cool handle claws, doesn't it?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

Also a great tool for shredding pork shoulder for pulled pork.
They DO work great for pulled pork!
If you don't have them you are missing out on a lot of fun times in the kitchen!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i want a pair of those to use on the scratching post just to freak out the cats...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i want a pair of those to use on the scratching post just to freak out the cats...
I need a pair to keep Shrek's back scratched.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I need a pair to keep Shrek's back scratched.

I actually used them today...not to scratch anything, but to lift my ham out of the pan and on to the platter. They are so easy to fit into the dishwasher too!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Resurrection alert!

There is an "easy way" to roast a bird, but I don't agree with the OP. I've never roasted a dry, flavorless chicken or turkey in my life. In fact I just roasted two chickens last night, and the diners couldn't stop commenting on how juicy and flavorful they were, especially the breast meat.

I do not cook breast side down. Never have, so I've never had to flip a bird midway through cooking. I do not use a thermometer, aluminum foil, roasting bags, or a roasting rack. All of this seems like unnecessary fuss to me, and the furthest thing from "easy".

I have always cooked my birds in a mixture of oil, water, and whatever seasonings I chose at the bottom of whatever pan I use. I keep the meat moist by making many tiny slits in the bird, deep enough to catch whatever seasoned liquid I marinate/baste with, but small enough to go undetected when serving. The combination of the oil/water mixture, and the slits, never fails to keep my birds extremely moist and tender. And this method cuts down significantly on the need to baste often.

Try it, and see how it works for you.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Head Chef

I looked the bear claws up on Google. They are $9.99 but shipping charges are 7.99. I refuse to pay those exorbitant shipping charges, so won't be ordering them.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
Wine Guy

I also disagree with the OP that his way is the ONLY way to cook a turkey. Being that he's from Texas, I'm sure he's convinced himself that his method is the standard that others must live up to, but, just like the proverbial cat-skinning, there are several ways to accomplish this task and still have a tasty and juicy bird (WITH skin, I should add. This is a necessity as far as I'm concerned). These include, but are certainly not limited to, roasting, deep frying, and smoking.

My plan for this year is to try turkey on our rotisserie grill. I've had outstanding chickens and roasts cooked this way over the summer months, and they always come out juicy and falling-off-the-bone tender. The only remaining question in my mind is whether it will be warm enough to do so in November. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'll stick to my guns too. I roast, skin side up, either in a 425' oven, or between beds of charcoal, with wood for smoke. In the oven, the pan bottom serves as the drip pan, with plain water added, but not touching the bird. On the Webber, the drip pan is placed between the charcoal beds, and the vents are all closed half way. With both methods, the skin is oiled, or buttered, and seasoned with salt and granulated garlic. No basting, no fussing, not turning, no anything. Just leave it be until the meat thermometer reads 1645' in the thickest part of the meat.

The bird, be it turkey of any size, game hens, ruffed grouse, or chicken, come out ridiculously juicy, well flavored, and tender. I wish you could hear what people say about them, and not just my family.

Again, the only think I need to worry about after prepping, is pull the bird at 165' F. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the bird size. Carve.

I'm not going to say that my way is the only way, or even the best way. I am going to say that it's the best way for me.

It is the easiest way I know to cook a bird.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, turkey