Turkey and white bean soup??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenlownie

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I'm a newbie so I may have missed some wonderful suggestions along this line. I'm using ground turkey more and more these days, but it really needs help sometimes and I'm always on the lookout for recipes. I did a search and found a few threads - mostly stuff I have already considered /tried like meatballs/meatloaf, burgers (made some good ones recently), chili, tacos...

I'd really like to make a good white bean soup with ground turkey - second choice, black bean soup. Anybody have any simple suggestions on how I could jazz it up a little? I h ave a sort of generic recipe for bean soup - meaning, I toss in what I've got... don't really have an actual "recipe" -- beans, carrots, maybe celery, thyme, garlic sometimes.....

Obviously I could use some guidance! Thanks for any suggestions.

Jen Lownie

PS I'm probably going to be asking more questions about ground turkey - it agrees with my DH's tummy more than beef, and I think it's a much better choice anyway - so am working on using it more and more.

That's what I've been doing and it's okay but it needs something to add a little, well, spice..... not sure what. I'll probably just experiment some more but suggestions are welcome!

Jen Lownie

Jen,
is your soup creamy or is it a clear broth with the beans and turkey?
If it's a clear broth, me being me and a onion, garlic lover, I'd up the onion garlic ratio just a little, then think about doing a bean and pasta turkey soup, add some crushed or diced tomatoes, some parsley, some of your favorite herbs say rosemary or oregano or marjoram,as well as the celery and and things you like in it.. and if you like a bite big or small to your foods add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes, Use broth to start the soup and I bet you already do that:) It makes it tasty faster in my opinion so I usually start soups with stock. Not quite sure what you would like, but, hope this helps just a little.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Jen,
is your soup creamy or is it a clear broth with the beans and turkey?
If it's a clear broth, me being me and a onion, garlic lover, I'd up the onion garlic ratio just a little, then think about doing a bean and pasta turkey soup, add some crushed or diced tomatoes, some parsley, some of your favorite herbs say rosemary or oregano or marjoram,as well as the celery and and things you like in it.. and if you like a bite big or small to your foods add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes, Use broth to start the soup and I bet you already do that:) It makes it tasty faster in my opinion so I usually start soups with stock. Not quite sure what you would like, but, hope this helps just a little.

kadesma:)
Kadesma (what a pretty name!),

Thanks much for your ideas! Yes, I start with stock. Veggie stock sometimes, but usually chicken - I use that more than anything. The pasta's a good idea - don't know why I hadn't thought of it! And the red pepper (not a lot, I'm a wus), definitely onion and garlic. Darn, I"m not even hungry and this is sounding good!

Thank you! Will post here next time I try it.

Jen L.

jenlownie said:
Kadesma (what a pretty name!),

Thanks much for your ideas! Yes, I start with stock. Veggie stock sometimes, but usually chicken - I use that more than anything. The pasta's a good idea - don't know why I hadn't thought of it! And the red pepper (not a lot, I'm a wus), definitely onion and garlic. Darn, I"m not even hungry and this is sounding good!

Thank you! Will post here next time I try it.

Jen L.

thanks Jen, glad I could help. As to the pepper flakes, I'm a wus too. When I use them it's just a small pinch and that's it. I add pasta and it really makes a hearty meal with the beans. Add a salad and some warm bread and dinner is served.kadesma

Back
Top Bottom