"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Turkey Bacon

I tried Turkey Bacon for change of pace , it is quite good. The brand I tried was John F. Martin. It doesn't taste like bacon as we know it , more like ham.

Strips of Turkey bacon , chopped up.
1/4 cup chopped herbs.
6 eggs , beaten
optional : 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper

Cook the turkey bacon til done. remove from pan. In same pan, add eggs, herbs, salt and pepper. When almost done, add the turkey bacon. It is an open omelet.

__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
I just can't get into fake bacon or fake crabmeat. When I want bacon or crabmeat , I buy the real stuff and it has to be applewood smoked bacon. I'm such a snob! This is the best stuff I've ever had. I only have it a few times a year but wow! I really enjoy it when I do.
__________________

__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
6 eggs , beaten
It is an open omelet.
WOW!!!!! YOU MUST HAVE BEEN VERY HUNGRY!!!!
(or are you competing with Michael Phelps' 4000 calory a day diet??? LOL!)
__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
WOW!!!!! YOU MUST HAVE BEEN VERY HUNGRY!!!!
(or are you competing with Michael Phelps' 4000 calory a day diet??? LOL!)
oh I didn't eat the whole thing. It was for hubby and me . I should have mentioned it was for 2 or more people.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Turkey bacon is WONDERFUL!!! As is turkey ham, turkey pastrami, turkey sausages, etc., etc. We also enjoy chicken sausages, & have also had duck bacon as well. And of course there's also ground poultry products, marinated turkey breast chunks for kebabs - the list is nearly endless. And there's nothing "fake" about them at all.

Since my husband hasn't eaten any red meat or red meat products in over 35 years, the advent of so many wonderful new products made from poultry has opened up a whole world of terrific (& healthier) eating for us. There are very very few dishes I can't make wherein I can't sub a poultry product & have it come out delicious.

And I also don't mind Imitation Crabmeat (aka Surimi) in some recipes. It's still seafood, & as long as it's not being touted as the "real thing" & you take it for what it's worth, there's nothing offensive about it. I've used it in seafood salad, seafood melt sandwiches, dips & canapes, etc. I just never tried to pass it off as something it wasn't.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Turkey bacon is WONDERFUL!!! As is turkey ham, turkey pastrami, turkey sausages, etc., etc. We also enjoy chicken sausages, & have also had duck bacon as well. And of course there's also ground poultry products, marinated turkey breast chunks for kebabs - the list is nearly endless. And there's nothing "fake" about them at all.

Since my husband hasn't eaten any red meat or red meat products in over 35 years, the advent of so many wonderful new products made from poultry has opened up a whole world of terrific (& healthier) eating for us. There are very very few dishes I can't make wherein I can't sub a poultry product & have it come out delicious.

And I also don't mind Imitation Crabmeat (aka Surimi) in some recipes. It's still seafood, & as long as it's not being touted as the "real thing" & you take it for what it's worth, there's nothing offensive about it. I've used it in seafood salad, seafood melt sandwiches, dips & canapes, etc. I just never tried to pass it off as something it wasn't.
I haven't tried other products. The turkey bacon was on sale which prompted me to buy it.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
oh I didn't eat the whole thing. It was for hubby and me . I should have mentioned it was for 2 or more people.


I knew that. But you made it so irresistible.
__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
i love turkey bacon & regular bacon!! & omelettes, too, so your recipe sounds great!
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Billdolfski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 244
Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
I like turkey bacon quite fine... but it hardly tastes like the real thing.
__________________
If you don't like chicken fried steak, then I don't like you.
Billdolfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 69
Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
Love love love turkey bacon!
__________________

__________________
MsAnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.