Turkey...Blown Dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Girl49

Cook
My husband and I rinsed our 19-pound turkey well in cold water and, after patting dry with paper towels, the bird still felt too damp. We grabbed a blow dryer my step-daughter had left in her room and went at it. Beautiful! :LOL:

The real question is why did OP rinse the bird in the sink at all? That's a major cross-contamination risk.

The real question is why did OP rinse the bird in the sink at all? That's a major cross-contamination risk.

I guess, if you are eating out of the sink. . .

I am a bit lost as to the hair dryer thing myself. . . that is a type of food styling I guess I am just not aware of. What kind of style does a turkey require?

Last edited:
I guess, if you are eating out of the sink.

I am a bit lost as to the hair dryer thing myself. . . that is a type of food styling I guess I am just not aware of. What kind of style does a turkey require?

This style:

Attachments

• blackwhite polish.jpg
    blackwhite polish.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 130
So... Garden hose in the driveway then? Hehe :) I guess i always thought it was better to rinse them off than cook them with whatever ick had accumulated in packaging and just sitting there? But I'm not a chef either.

So... Garden hose in the driveway then? Hehe :) I guess i always thought it was better to rinse them off than cook them with whatever ick had accumulated in packaging and just sitting there? But I'm not a chef either.

My sink gets scrubbed with chlorine cleanser twice a year, before and after I rinse the turkey. Not a chef, either.

You stand more a chance of spreading things around, more than anything. If there IS anything on the surface, cooking it properly will take care of any nasties you may be concerned about.

Here is a quick read, if you are interested.

Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?

Definitely disinfect all surfaces the raw bird has touched and definitely not on the wooden cutting board ( with or without 80's hairdo) - thx for the article suggestion, I'll have a look. I'll still rinse though... Easier to season and handle etc...

Blowing the Turkey Dry

All: Cookbooks advise that turkey skin must be as dry as possible after rinsing so it will cook up crisp in the oven -- thus brief blow dry. Also, someone asked about rinsing in the sink...where else would you rinse a turkey? Under the hose in the back yard? :ROFLMAO:

All: Cookbooks advise that turkey skin must be as dry as possible after rinsing so it will cook up crisp in the oven -- thus brief blow dry. Also, someone asked about rinsing in the sink...where else would you rinse a turkey? Under the hose in the back yard? :ROFLMAO:

Um, yes actually the hose sounds like a good plan. Or you could just not rinse t all.

no mayonnaise said:
Um, yes actually the hose sounds like a good plan. Or you could just not rinse t all.

I have to rinse. The cavities have all that yucky stuff in them...it just seems wrong not to rinse. And then disinfect the sink and adjoining countertop.

I brine my turkey and rinsing is a must if you want the gravy to be palatable. No rinsing means way too salty drippings for gravy.

However, I also have a spray bottle of chlorine bleach and water to disinfect surfaces that have been exposed to raw poultry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom