Turkey Breast and Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchen

Assistant Cook
I keep thinking about sliced turkey breast with brown gravy they sometimes serve at restaurants. I want to do that at home. Cranberry sauce is plain boring.

Does anyone know how to make that gravy from scratch. Not the pre packaged just add water type of gravy but the sort you cook up yourself in the kitchen.

I imagine the gravy would just be the pan juices left over from cooking the turkey thickened with some flour and, if needed, some extra butter.

It is brown, salty, savoury tastes meaty. Never could figure out how that was done. Had it a few times way back in the past.

Still remember how it looks, smells and tastes. Probably there is some turkey broth or something from the turkey in it. It goes better with turkey than cranberry sauce. Something like the brown mushroom sauce served with a grilled steak in the steak house.

Say, does anyone know how to make that brown mushroom sauce for steaks?

The more I hang around this forum, the hungrier I get. Doh.

Hi,
if my mom was here you would get some lovely gravy receipes, but I have checked it out and hope this will help you to make a delicious gravy:

Thin Gravy

Pour away all fat from roasting tin, leaving the residue of Poultry to give more flavour.
I usually scrape it out and put into a pan which is easier to bring to boil. But up to you.
Add 1 teaspoon flour and 1 and 1/4 cups of stock (Poultry) or some kind of Bouillon cube.
Bring to boil until clear and then strain.

Thick Gravy

Leave about 1 tablespoon of fat in the tin (Put in a pan, as above)
add 1 oz (metric).
Cook, stirring until browned.
Add just over 1 and 1/4 cups of fluid (as above)
bring to boil, cook until thick and strain.

Hope it works if not give me a write.

Love Susi

turkey breast doesn't have enough bone to get good brown drippings so if you can find a couple turkey legs, roast them along with it too. Your broth (normally made with neck, wing tips, giblets, etc) will probably need to be froma box and there are some good ones. Or use a turkey base (as many resaurants do) That will give you brown color and salt and seasonings all in one. A Base is not a package but a tub or jar of reduced essence and seasonings, very concentrated.

Instant flour is a real help with gravies, (it's also great for really delicate fried food btw).

Add flour to pan drippings, cook, wisk in broth, bring to simmer, add some base for color and flavor, thicken again with some flour if needed.

Thanks a million :)

I copied those down to try when I do get my hands on a turkey.

This is how I make my brown gravy, and it has a ton of flavor.

Remove turkey gizzards, heart, liver, etc. from the trukey. Place in a 2 to 3 quart saucepot and add water to half fill the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.

While the broth is simmering, prepare your turkey for roasting.
Add 1/2 chopped onion to your broth, and a half tsp. sage. Continue to simmer until the onion is very soft. Add more water as needed to make two cups of broth. When the onion is soft, add 1/2 tsp. of salt, and a quarter tsp. black pepper. Stir for about 5 minutes and taste. Add salt as needed until it tastes correct to you. Anhd remember, add a little at a time, stir it and re-taste. You can always add more if you need to, but if you add to much, you can't take it out.

When your broth is seasoned correctly, place in the fridge unti lthe turkey and other side-dishes are finished. When the sides and the turkey are done, heat teh broth over medium high heat until lightly boiling. While waiting for the broth to come up to temperature, heat 3 tbs. butter in a shallow frying pan. Add 1/4 cup AP-Flour to the melted butter. Stir rapidly to incorporate all of the flour into the butter. You should have a very thick paste. Add more butter if needed and stir until the flour/butter mixture flows accross the pan bottom. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the roux begins to brown. Then add 1/2 cup of broth and stir until it is incorporated into the roux. Add another 1/2 cup stir, and repeat until 1 cup of broth has been added. Then, slowly pour the thick sauce into the boiling broth while stirring. This will give you a creamy-smooth texture and great flavor. Correct the seasoning with more salt, pepper, and sage if you need to. The flour flavor will alter and dilute your original seasonings. Add any pan drippings and juices to the gravy to strengthen its flavor. Try to avoid adding the fat.

Though this text is fairly long, the method is easy and not very time consuming. And it will give you what you are seeking, and that's what cooking is all about.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom