"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Turkey Brine

Does anyone have any good turkey brine receipes. I've never cooked a turkey myself and my mom did one last year in a brine was real moist,but I thought it was to salty so I figured I'd ask for ideas here. You guys always come through. Thanks

Old 11-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Try this one from Good Eats

Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I use enough apple cider to cover the turkey. It usually takes close to three gallons. Then I add 2 cups of kosher salt, 1/4 cup poultry seasoning, 1/8 c black pepper, 1/4 c granulated garlic and a cup of brown sugar.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I use enough apple cider to cover the turkey. It usually takes close to three gallons. Then I add 2 cups of kosher salt, 1/4 cup poultry seasoning, 1/8 c black pepper, 1/4 c granulated garlic and a cup of brown sugar.
apple cider, eh? That sounds good.

Here's mine-
Basic Brine:
1 cup Kosher salt
cup Sugar
4 Quarts water
Various herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)

I combine salt, sugar, herbs and 2 quarts of water. Put it on the stove on high and wait for the salt and sugar to dissolve. Then I take it off the heat and add the other 2 qts water. Stick it in the fridge.

When it comes time to brine, I double 2 turkey oven bags. Stick the turkey in and have an extra pair of hands to help you hold the bags while you pour the brine in. Gather the inner bag tightly to force the brine around the entire turkey. I do this all in the roasting pan and stick it in the fridge for 12 hours, breast side down.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Try the cider, Corazon, I think you'll like it.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I've been using the recipe the Andy suggested for a few years now. It really is the bomb!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Try the cider, Corazon, I think you'll like it.
does it make the meat sweet? dh doesn't usually like sweet and savory combined, especially where there is meat involved.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Thanks for the help, I'll have to do a turkey like this a different time. My inlaws do not use any salt on or in things(husband reminded me) so I'm afraid it would be to salty for them. I have copied the recipes and i will eventually do one for a different occassion
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

If you buy a fresh turkey that has only been processed as far as slaughtering, gutting (sorry -think the proper term is drawing), and plucking then you can brine it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki
... my mom did one last year in a brine was real moist, but I thought it was too salty ...
If it comes in a plastic wrapper from the grocery store - look at the label. If the ingredients say anything about added broth, water, salt, etc. - it's already "brined" (by injecting) and brining it again will only result in it being too salty. This also goes for "Kosher" turkeys - they, too, are already brined.

If you're looking at brining as a way to add flavors ... there are other ways that will not make the turkey too salty.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
apple cider, eh? That sounds good.

Here's mine-
Basic Brine:
1 cup Kosher salt
cup Sugar
4 Quarts water
Various herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)

I combine salt, sugar, herbs and 2 quarts of water. Put it on the stove on high and wait for the salt and sugar to dissolve. Then I take it off the heat and add the other 2 qts water. Stick it in the fridge.

When it comes time to brine, I double 2 turkey oven bags. Stick the turkey in and have an extra pair of hands to help you hold the bags while you pour the brine in. Gather the inner bag tightly to force the brine around the entire turkey. I do this all in the roasting pan and stick it in the fridge for 12 hours, breast side down.
Where do you find those oven bags? I have a similar brine recipe (actually, it might be exactly the same - can't remember offhand) and it calls for two of those bags. If I somehow can't find them, will this work in a covered container so long as the entire turkey is submerged in the brine?

Tags
None