Turkey criticism...frozen vs. fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shellygloo

Assistant Cook
Howdee,
It's been a couple of years since I've cooked a turkey. Usually I try and get a big one due to lots of guests...and I try to get a good deal...so I usually get a store brand or Riverside brand, around 27 lbs, frozen, real cheap. I never understood the complaints about "dry" turkey before. My method has always been stuffing the turkey and cooking at 325 degrees (the recommended time per pound), and basting. This year I cooked a turkey in the same way...but bought a 13 lb. Honeysuckle white Fresh turkey, since I was only cooking for 3. It was the worse turkey ever! Sort of tough and stringy. Not at all like the cheapie frozen turkey's I've bought in the past...any comments?:mad:

I like to cook mine upside down, so all the fat on the back drips down on the breast. I also cover it loosely with foil.
To tell you the truth, I'd just as soon have the cheaper grocery store brand as the Butterball. Butterballs are bred for a bigger breast, and I like plenty of dark meat. That's where the juice comes from.

Back
Top Bottom