Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, I have a problem doing that. I am too short to reach the buzzer to alert them in the back room. So since they are always putting fresh products out, I just wait until someone comes out.

I do stand outside in every rainstorm hoping it will help me grow. If that doesn't start working soon, I am going to have to find some cow patties to stand in. :angel:

Ask a tall person nearby to press the buzzer for you, just like some people ask a tall person to get something from a top shelf ;)

Ask a tall person nearby to press the buzzer for you, just like some people ask a tall person to get something from a top shelf ;)

:LOL: I am always doing that. Just about anything I usually buy is on the top shelf. Being only 4'8" is no picnic. :angel:

I rarely see turkey parts sold here. You'll see whole turkeys and breasts frozen and fresh close to the holidays, but the individual parts are rare to find. I have seen smoked wings on occasion.

I would love to see bone in 1/2 turkey breasts year round, I would cook them often.

If you shop in a grocery store with a real meat department ask them to saw a whole frozen turkey or breast in half. The bag of giblets in the whole turkey gets chewed up, not a big problem though.

If you shop in a grocery store with a real meat department ask them to saw a whole frozen turkey or breast in half. The bag of giblets in the whole turkey gets chewed up, not a big problem though.

I know where I work, pork and beef can be run across the saw but not poultry, I'm not sure if it is a company policy or a state health department thing. Poultry can't be run through the grinders either.

I know where I work, pork and beef can be run across the saw but not poultry, I'm not sure if it is a company policy or a state health department thing. Poultry can't be run through the grinders either.

I need to check next time I hit the market, it never used to be a problem.

The poultry police strike again! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Most big grocery stores have more than one saw. The store I shop at is the newest and largest one in their chain. There is no way they could keep up with the demand with just one saw. So I am sure that at least one saw is designated just for poultry. I do know they have six grinders. They are right near the window. I do know that in this state, in bakeries, meat departments, etc. all equipment that handles raw foods such as eggs, meat, etc. has to be broken down at the end of the day, cleaned and sterilized. Since my store shuts down their back room at seven o'clock p.m., they break down throughout the day different pieces of equipment.

At my store, the back room is huge and has a large window the public can watch through. I have seen at least four workers standing at a saw cutting up animals. I am sure one of them were doing poultry. :angel:

My store always has turkey parts. They must sell in my area. They have to do something with them if they want to sell breasts! One time I bought a frozen turkey and it was missing a wing! LOL I usually tuck the wings behind, but his one wing was just waving in the air with nothing to tuck!

No Bilo, Publix (one being built, opening next year), Ingles. I do work at a Food Lion but my store doesn't carry the parts any time but during the holidays.
We do have Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowes, Whole Foods, Fresh Market etc.. I haven't noticed it in these store on the regular, maybe it's the area?

Maybe the area? I know those stores here sell them. We have all but Lowes. Our Lowes is a home improvement center.

Wow. I used to always have fresh/frozen/fryers chickens cut in 1/2 with no problem. But it has been awhile.

My store always has turkey parts. They must sell in my area. They have to do something with them if they want to sell breasts! One time I bought a frozen turkey and it was missing a wing! LOL I usually tuck the wings behind, but his one wing was just waving in the air with nothing to tuck!

You have to have seen a turkey processing plant to know how that missing wing came to be.
I had a chicken and turkey processing plant as one of my best customers. I many times had to go into the facility to look at equipment.
It was very hard to plan lunch on those days.

Last edited:
When you are carving the turkey and plating up the meat, do you take the meat off the drumsticks or just put them out whole? I like to pull the meat off, but some tell me just to put them out whole.

When you are carving the turkey and plating up the meat, do you take the meat off the drumsticks or just put them out whole? I like to pull the meat off, but some tell me just to put them out whole.

It seems to me that if you put them out whole, people might take that as an invitation to help themselves to the whole drumstick. In fact, maybe that's the motivation behind the suggestion ;)

It seems to me that if you put them out whole, people might take that as an invitation to help themselves to the whole drumstick. In fact, maybe that's the motivation behind the suggestion ;)

If I leave them whole, no one eats them, then when they are wrapping up leftovers to take home they will grab them. I think it's better to cut the meat off and I think I will insist on it this year.

If I leave them whole, no one eats them, then when they are wrapping up leftovers to take home they will grab them. I think it's better to cut the meat off and I think I will insist on it this year.

That's what I would do! At my house, people take what I give them, not whatever they want!

I meant the drumsticks! They would not be wrapping up leftovers and taking what they want! ;)

Ok. I misunderstood. It is such a tradition for my guests to pack up leftovers that I intentionally prepare much more food than is needed for the meal. They even bring their own containers! This came from eating at my MIL's al those years and there were never any leftovers. Eating leftovers the next day is an essential part of Thanksgiving, IMO.

Ok. I misunderstood. It is such a tradition for my guests to pack up leftovers that I intentionally prepare much more food than is needed for the meal. They even bring their own containers! This came from eating at my MIL's al those years and there were never any leftovers. Eating leftovers the next day is an essential part of Thanksgiving, IMO.

I agree!

I have only had Thanksgiving dinner away from home twice in my life and each time I cooked a full dinner so I could have leftovers when I got home.

Of course, that could be the reason I spend my life on a diet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My daughter always send me home with a big plateful of leftovers. She knows to save the meat from the leg for me. I do not like white meat on any bird. But she never gives me enough of my favorite. The stuffing! I would be happy with a big plate of just the stuffing. She also gives me a container of gravy to take with me. One can never have too much gravy. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom