"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Rob doesn't eat any soups or gravy in restaraunts to avoid msg, he is leery of a lot of seasonings too. Msg just makes him feel terrible. He's lucky that he found someone that not only can cook from scratch, but enjoys doing it!
I don't eat soups or gravies in restos either. Salad dressings are suspect too, though usually okay if made in house.

I first noticed the "MSG headache" in the late '70s. I've been reading labels since then. I remember shopping with Stirling before we got engaged. I told him to read the label for some Knorr soup (he liked to make chip dip with it). Not only was MSG high on the list of ingredients, salt was the second ingredient.

At one time, Chinese restos were the safest place for me to eat. They knew what MSG was and would make me food with no MSG. Lots of other restos didn't know what MSG was, so even when they said there was no MSG, there might be.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't eat soups or gravies in restos either. Salad dressings are suspect too, though usually okay if made in house.

I first noticed the "MSG headache" in the late '70s. I've been reading labels since then. I remember shopping with Stirling before we got engaged. I told him to read the label for some Knorr soup (he liked to make chip dip with it). Not only was MSG high on the list of ingredients, salt was the second ingredient.

At one time, Chinese restos were the safest place for me to eat. They knew what MSG was and would make me food with no MSG. Lots of other restos didn't know what MSG was, so even when they said there was no MSG, there might be.
I avoid MSG, not because of the headache but because things containing it taste vile, despite the claims that MSG tasteless.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Let's get back to cooking turkey drumsticks.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I rarely see turkey parts sold here. You'll see whole turkeys and breasts frozen and fresh close to the holidays, but the individual parts are rare to find. I have seen smoked wings on occasion.

I would love to see bone in 1/2 turkey breasts year round, I would cook them often.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Same thing here, the parts disappear as soon as Thanksgiving is in the air. Makes it hard for two person households. Shrek loves breast and I love dark meat...the rest of the turkey makes enough for an army or too many leftovers.

I did get two Cornish game hens yesterday. Shrek said something about only making mashed potatoes OR stuffing...I laughed. Two cans on cranberry sauce, too, I like the whole berry and Shrek likes the jellied stuff.

Opposites do attract.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I rarely see turkey parts sold here. You'll see whole turkeys and breasts frozen and fresh close to the holidays, but the individual parts are rare to find. I have seen smoked wings on occasion.

I would love to see bone in 1/2 turkey breasts year round, I would cook them often.
I see you are in NC. Do you have a Bilo? Publix? Ingles? Food Lion? In the meat dept right next to the fresh chicken you will find turkey parts.
I cannot imagine turkey parts being so hard to come by, when they are so readily available here.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Rob likes both white and dark but is partial to dark and I only eat white. He was excited when I told him that I'd be cooking a whole turkey this year so he can get a drumstick.

he doesn't like any cranberry so I get to make whatever I want there, or just a can of jellied stuff.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I see you are in NC. Do you have a Bilo? Publix? Ingles? Food Lion? In the meat dept right next to the fresh chicken you will find turkey parts.
I cannot imagine turkey parts being so hard to come by, when they are so readily available here.
No Bilo, Publix (one being built, opening next year), Ingles. I do work at a Food Lion but my store doesn't carry the parts any time but during the holidays.

We do have Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowes, Whole Foods, Fresh Market etc.. I haven't noticed it in these store on the regular, maybe it's the area?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Just a reminder. Even if you shop in a supermarket, you can ask the meat guy for anything that's not out on the shelves. They often have stuff out back they can package and give you.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just a reminder. Even if you shop in a supermarket, you can ask the meat guy for anything that's not out on the shelves. They often have stuff out back they can package and give you.
Andy, I have a problem doing that. I am too short to reach the buzzer to alert them in the back room. So since they are always putting fresh products out, I just wait until someone comes out.

I do stand outside in every rainstorm hoping it will help me grow. If that doesn't start working soon, I am going to have to find some cow patties to stand in.

Tags
oven, recipe, turkey, turkey drumsticks

Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case. I have the following ingredients list: 3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks 1/8 cup coconut oil 1/8 cup olive oil 1/2 cup Chardonnay 1 cup diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons dried thyme 2 tablespoons dried sage 2 tablespoons dried rosemary 2 tablespoons chopped garlic 1/4 cup chopped carrots 1/4 cup chopped celery 1 chopped onion I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart. Thanks for the advice, Jonathan. 3 stars 1 reviews