Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I misunderstood. It is such a tradition for my guests to pack up leftovers that I intentionally prepare much more food than is needed for the meal. They even bring their own containers! This came from eating at my MIL's al those years and there were never any leftovers. Eating leftovers the next day is an essential part of Thanksgiving, IMO.

Okay. It sounded to me like you were unhappy that people wanted you to serve the drumsticks whole, then no one ate them, then someone took them home.

Trust me - I understand the importance of Thanksgiving leftovers. I'm making a 12-pound turkey for the two of us ;) But when people eat at my house, I will pack up the leftovers they can have.

Last edited:
Trust me - I understand the importance of Thanksgiving leftovers. I'm making a 12-pound turkey for the two of us ;) But when people eat at my house, I will pack up the leftovers they can have.

We had that happen a few Thanksgivings ago. My wife allowed the family to pack there own take home packages and they left no white meat for us.

I prefer dark meat, but to take all of the white meat taught us to never let guests do what we should have done ourselves.
Besides they took to much and we had little left over for us. :(

We had that happen a few Thanksgivings ago. My wife allowed the family to pack there own take home packages and they left no white meat for us.

I prefer dark meat, but to take all of the white meat taught us to never let guests do what we should have done ourselves.
Besides they took to much and we had little left over for us. :(

Turkey is one of the few leftovers my husband will eat, and he will only eat it the next day, not for days, like I would. While my guests are packing up their leftovers, I am also packing up mine. I take enough for hot turkey sandwiches the next day.

I agree!

I have only had Thanksgiving dinner away from home twice in my life and each time I cooked a full dinner so I could have leftovers when I got home.

Of course, that could be the reason I spend my life on a diet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Until my MIL passed away, we went to her house every Thanksgiving, but I cooked a small turkey early in the morning before we left so we would have leftovers. She always had a houseful for Thanksgiving, and any leftovers were left at her house because she had 2 grown sons who still lived with her. She never knew I did this. I did the same thing with a ham on Christmas and Easter.

My mom did the same, we always went to my grandmother's but we all loved Turkey leftovers. My dad also made an awesome Turkey and dumpling soup, so we had to have the carcass from the turkey to make that happen. The days following a holiday wouldn't be the same without that soup!

Even though it is my daughter's house, I would never assume to just help myself to leftovers. It is her kitchen, not mine. :angel:

Even though it is my daughter's house, I would never assume to just help myself to leftovers. It is her kitchen, not mine. :angel:

My guest don't "just help themselves," I tell them to take what they want. I purposely make much more food than we will eat at the meal. If they didn't take it I would end up throwing it away because it is much more than my husband and I will eat leftover.

My guest don't "just help themselves," I tell them to take what they want. I purposely make much more food than we will eat at the meal. If they didn't take it I would end up throwing it away because it is much more than my husband and I will eat leftover.

So I'm curious to know what was this about:

If I leave them whole, no one eats them, then when they are wrapping up leftovers to take home they will grab them. I think it's better to cut the meat off and I think I will insist on it this year.

This sounds like you didn't want people to take the drumsticks.

Last edited:
So what was this about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa
If I leave them whole, no one eats them, then when they are wrapping up leftovers to take home they will grab them. I think it's better to cut the meat off and I think I will insist on it this year.

This sounds like you didn't want people to take the drumsticks.

No, I meant that I didn't understand why they didn't want them when they were on the table. It made me think that they didn't like them. Therefore, I didn't understand why they took them home.

This year they will be carved and on the plate with the rest of the dark meat.

No, I meant that I didn't understand why they didn't want them when they were on the table. It made me think that they didn't like them. Therefore, I didn't understand why they took them home.

This year they will be carved and on the plate with the rest of the dark meat.

Gotcha! Yes, I think it's better to serve it cut into portions. People don't like to feel like they're taking too much. Except when they can gnaw a big ol' turkey drumstick in the privacy of their own home ;)

Gotcha! Yes, I think it's better to serve it cut into portions. People don't like to feel like they're taking too much. Except when they can gnaw a big ol' turkey drumstick in the privacy of their own home ;)

Oh, I'll gnaw on one in public and holler for Grog while I'm at it.

When I worked the Fair in Puyallup, Wa. they had a stand that sold only roasted turkey legs. A very big favorite by the amount of folks you saw walking around gnawing on their leg. :angel:

Them bones, them bones, them turkey leg bones. Started the stock with 4 turkey legs. Picked the meat and the bones are now roasting along with 2 wings and vegis. Back to the pot everything will go for a nice, long, slow simmer.;) Stock will get strained, reduced and fat skimmed.

When I worked the Fair in Puyallup, Wa. they had a stand that sold only roasted turkey legs. A very big favorite by the amount of folks you saw walking around gnawing on their leg. :angel:

We have a believe it or not a gas station (convenience store) that sells fried chicken. Its actually great fried chicken.
They also sell turkey legs. Never tried one, but I might now.

I found lots of smoked turkey legs at the grocery store yesterday. I bought one pack for beans. To try out, in place of smoked hocks.

I do stand outside in every rainstorm hoping it will help me grow. If that doesn't start working soon, I am going to have to find some cow patties to stand in. :angel:

:LOL:

Addie, When you come to my house I'll politely have to ask you to remove your shoes. ;)

Good luck on growing up. I'm going the Peter Pan route. I don't want to. :D

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I bought a turkey for $.79 a pound and butchered it into parts. Gonna roast a wing tonight and was surfing for ideas for future meals. :chef:

Thanks for the ideas in this thread and I'm sure I'll find more as I delve deeper into the past. :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom