"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Whole, because they are MINE!!!!!

LOL Everyone in my family likes dark meat except my husband, but I prefer the thighs to the drumsticks. I am cooking 2 turkeys so I get more dark meat than one big turkey.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
When you are carving the turkey and plating up the meat, do you take the meat off the drumsticks or just put them out whole? I like to pull the meat off, but some tell me just to put them out whole.
It seems to me that if you put them out whole, people might take that as an invitation to help themselves to the whole drumstick. In fact, maybe that's the motivation behind the suggestion

Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It seems to me that if you put them out whole, people might take that as an invitation to help themselves to the whole drumstick. In fact, maybe that's the motivation behind the suggestion

If I leave them whole, no one eats them, then when they are wrapping up leftovers to take home they will grab them. I think it's better to cut the meat off and I think I will insist on it this year.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's the caveman in us, wanting to munch on a whole leg...
Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

If I leave them whole, no one eats them, then when they are wrapping up leftovers to take home they will grab them. I think it's better to cut the meat off and I think I will insist on it this year.
That's what I would do! At my house, people take what I give them, not whatever they want!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
That's what I would do! At my house, people take what I give them, not whatever they want!

Same here GG. At my house, people are so glad they didn't have to cook dinner that they will eat what's in front of them. LOL
Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Same here GG. At my house, people are so glad they didn't have to cook dinner that they will eat what's in front of them. LOL
I meant the drumsticks! They would not be wrapping up leftovers and taking what they want!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
I meant the drumsticks! They would not be wrapping up leftovers and taking what they want!

Ok. I misunderstood. It is such a tradition for my guests to pack up leftovers that I intentionally prepare much more food than is needed for the meal. They even bring their own containers! This came from eating at my MIL's al those years and there were never any leftovers. Eating leftovers the next day is an essential part of Thanksgiving, IMO.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Ok. I misunderstood. It is such a tradition for my guests to pack up leftovers that I intentionally prepare much more food than is needed for the meal. They even bring their own containers! This came from eating at my MIL's al those years and there were never any leftovers. Eating leftovers the next day is an essential part of Thanksgiving, IMO.
I agree!

I have only had Thanksgiving dinner away from home twice in my life and each time I cooked a full dinner so I could have leftovers when I got home.

Of course, that could be the reason I spend my life on a diet!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter always send me home with a big plateful of leftovers. She knows to save the meat from the leg for me. I do not like white meat on any bird. But she never gives me enough of my favorite. The stuffing! I would be happy with a big plate of just the stuffing. She also gives me a container of gravy to take with me. One can never have too much gravy.

Tags
oven, recipe, turkey, turkey drumsticks

Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case. I have the following ingredients list: 3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks 1/8 cup coconut oil 1/8 cup olive oil 1/2 cup Chardonnay 1 cup diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons dried thyme 2 tablespoons dried sage 2 tablespoons dried rosemary 2 tablespoons chopped garlic 1/4 cup chopped carrots 1/4 cup chopped celery 1 chopped onion I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart. Thanks for the advice, Jonathan. 3 stars 1 reviews