Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I brown the legs or thighs or both in my dutch oven. I add several smashed garlic cloves near the end. (so I don't burn the garlic) Once nice and brown, I add beer or chicken stock and put it into a 300°f oven covered for 1 hour.

I remove the pan and check for liquid and pour bottled BBQ sauce over them. Not to much. Just a little bit more than a 1/2 cup.
I return them to the oven for 1 more hour uncovered. Adding more liquid as required.
Let them sit for an hour or so covered and serve.

Very, very good and so tender.

Addie. Do you have Publix in your area? They always have turkey parts.

Just picked up two drumsticks with thighs and back portions. These will be my extra lunches and bones for stock for gravy. I was looking at the Swanson's Turkey stock and it has way too much sodium.

Just picked up two drumsticks with thighs and back portions. These will be my extra lunches and bones for stock for gravy. I was looking at the Swanson's Turkey stock and it has way too much sodium.

Thighs are nice to bone out, stuff and tie up as a small roast or turkey braciole. It sound like a big job but it only takes a few minutes and makes a nice presentation.

Good to know. I'd been looking for turkey stock in the stores, and realized I had 2 quarts of homemade in the freezer, leftover from T'giving in July.

Thighs are nice to bone out, stuff and tie up as a small roast or turkey braciole. It sound like a big job but it only takes a few minutes and makes a nice presentation.

If I do it plain, I can set it up for lunches in a few different ways. Thanks for the idea, though!

I plan on turkey and noodles for the drumsticks.

I am sure the workers at the Swanson plant get to bring some of the stock home. I can't help wondering if their wives read the labels and if they do, do they still use it? I know I wouldn't. So I went wandering and look what I found. And they have organic .

Amazon.com: better than bouillon turkey base: Grocery & Gourmet Food

:angel:

Last edited:
I am sure the workers at the Swanson plant get to bring some of the stock home. I can't help wondering if their wives read the labels and if they do, do they still use it? I know I wouldn't. So I went wandering and look what I found. And they have organic .

Amazon.com: better than bouillon turkey base: Grocery & Gourmet Food

:angel:
No go for me. It has soy oil and autolyzed yeast extract. Since MSG is a natural component of the autolized yeast extract, it doesn't have to be listed separately.

No go for me. It has soy oil and autolyzed yeast extract. Since MSG is a natural component of the autolized yeast extract, it doesn't have to be listed separately.

Rob doesn't eat any soups or gravy in restaraunts to avoid msg, he is leery of a lot of seasonings too. Msg just makes him feel terrible. He's lucky that he found someone that not only can cook from scratch, but enjoys doing it!

Rob doesn't eat any soups or gravy in restaraunts to avoid msg, he is leery of a lot of seasonings too. Msg just makes him feel terrible. He's lucky that he found someone that not only can cook from scratch, but enjoys doing it!
I don't eat soups or gravies in restos either. Salad dressings are suspect too, though usually okay if made in house.

I first noticed the "MSG headache" in the late '70s. I've been reading labels since then. I remember shopping with Stirling before we got engaged. I told him to read the label for some Knorr soup (he liked to make chip dip with it). Not only was MSG high on the list of ingredients, salt was the second ingredient. :ohmy: :wacko:

At one time, Chinese restos were the safest place for me to eat. They knew what MSG was and would make me food with no MSG. Lots of other restos didn't know what MSG was, so even when they said there was no MSG, there might be.

I don't eat soups or gravies in restos either. Salad dressings are suspect too, though usually okay if made in house.

I first noticed the "MSG headache" in the late '70s. I've been reading labels since then. I remember shopping with Stirling before we got engaged. I told him to read the label for some Knorr soup (he liked to make chip dip with it). Not only was MSG high on the list of ingredients, salt was the second ingredient. :ohmy: :wacko:

At one time, Chinese restos were the safest place for me to eat. They knew what MSG was and would make me food with no MSG. Lots of other restos didn't know what MSG was, so even when they said there was no MSG, there might be.
I avoid MSG, not because of the headache but because things containing it taste vile, despite the claims that MSG tasteless.

I rarely see turkey parts sold here. You'll see whole turkeys and breasts frozen and fresh close to the holidays, but the individual parts are rare to find. I have seen smoked wings on occasion.

I would love to see bone in 1/2 turkey breasts year round, I would cook them often.

Same thing here, the parts disappear as soon as Thanksgiving is in the air. Makes it hard for two person households. Shrek loves breast and I love dark meat...the rest of the turkey makes enough for an army or too many leftovers.

I did get two Cornish game hens yesterday. Shrek said something about only making mashed potatoes OR stuffing...I laughed. Two cans on cranberry sauce, too, I like the whole berry and Shrek likes the jellied stuff.

Opposites do attract.:wacko:

I rarely see turkey parts sold here. You'll see whole turkeys and breasts frozen and fresh close to the holidays, but the individual parts are rare to find. I have seen smoked wings on occasion.

I would love to see bone in 1/2 turkey breasts year round, I would cook them often.

I see you are in NC. Do you have a Bilo? Publix? Ingles? Food Lion? In the meat dept right next to the fresh chicken you will find turkey parts.
I cannot imagine turkey parts being so hard to come by, when they are so readily available here.

Rob likes both white and dark but is partial to dark and I only eat white. He was excited when I told him that I'd be cooking a whole turkey this year so he can get a drumstick.

he doesn't like any cranberry so I get to make whatever I want there, or just a can of jellied stuff.

I see you are in NC. Do you have a Bilo? Publix? Ingles? Food Lion? In the meat dept right next to the fresh chicken you will find turkey parts.
I cannot imagine turkey parts being so hard to come by, when they are so readily available here.

No Bilo, Publix (one being built, opening next year), Ingles. I do work at a Food Lion but my store doesn't carry the parts any time but during the holidays.

We do have Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowes, Whole Foods, Fresh Market etc.. I haven't noticed it in these store on the regular, maybe it's the area?

Last edited:
Just a reminder. Even if you shop in a supermarket, you can ask the meat guy for anything that's not out on the shelves. They often have stuff out back they can package and give you.

Just a reminder. Even if you shop in a supermarket, you can ask the meat guy for anything that's not out on the shelves. They often have stuff out back they can package and give you.

Andy, I have a problem doing that. I am too short to reach the buzzer to alert them in the back room. So since they are always putting fresh products out, I just wait until someone comes out.

I do stand outside in every rainstorm hoping it will help me grow. If that doesn't start working soon, I am going to have to find some cow patties to stand in. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom