"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven

I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case.

I have the following ingredients list:

3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks

1/8 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Chardonnay
1 cup diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried sage
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 chopped onion

I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart.

Thanks for the advice,
Jonathan.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Master Chef

Do you want a crispier skin? If so, oven. If you don't care, crockpot. No clue on how long etc. to cook them for though. Never did turkey legs. That's a VA Tech staple at their football games (Hokies mascot is the turkey) and we're rival UVA family so we'd avoid turkey legs!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a university student on a very limited budget, turkey drumsticks were cheap (not as cheap as Rama noodles, but the cheapest cut of meat around), I would cook them in the crockpot.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Master Chef

I like them oven barbequed or plain roasted.

350 degrees for an hour or so covered and another half hour to an hour uncovered.

The barbequed ones are great for kids to swing around and make a mess with, sort of like Henry VIII.

I like em roasted for a cheap Thanksgiving type meal.

I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the sticker things from mine after they have been roasted.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

Once poultry is fully cooked continued cooking only degrades it. Slow cookers dry out poultry.

Roast in the oven.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't use the oven or a crockpot.

I love to make turkey stew. I always boil them in water for a long enough time so that the meat is tender and can be stripped from the bones and tendons which make the drumsticks extremely tough.

Save some of the stock, freeze and use in other dishes. The stock is very, very good.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have had them done off heat in a charcoal BBQ. Came out moist and tender. What I remember was there was a drip pan underneath the legs. In the meantime other meats were being done over more direct heat. Every time the lid was opened, the legs were turned and brushed with seasoned olive oil. Low and slow seem to be his method. And it worked. The meat was done to perfection and the skin Thanksgiving crispy. When I asked him what seasoning he put in the olive oil, he told me Bell's Seasoning. The legs were for picking later when everyone was looking for something to gnaw on but didn't want anything heavy. He sliced the meat off and it became finger food.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I ended up making the drumsticks in the crockpot. I cooked them on high for a little over three hours on high before everyone was ready to eat. They would have been great had I been able to give them another 30 minutes or so.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I generally stew turkey drumsticks. Then, I cube the meat and make a simple salad with tomato chunks, lg dice green bell pepper and diced onion. Stir in some mayo, salt and pepper to taste. Chill overnight for best flavor. Unfortunately, my garden didn't produce much of anything this year and I haven't found turkey legs in the store all summer. I really crave this salad.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Ooooo I forgot about that one. Turkey Salad. Yes to drums and thighs for most flavor. I haven't grilled a turkey this summer, so no drumsticks at my house either.

Tags
oven, recipe, turkey, turkey drumsticks

Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case. I have the following ingredients list: 3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks 1/8 cup coconut oil 1/8 cup olive oil 1/2 cup Chardonnay 1 cup diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons dried thyme 2 tablespoons dried sage 2 tablespoons dried rosemary 2 tablespoons chopped garlic 1/4 cup chopped carrots 1/4 cup chopped celery 1 chopped onion I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart. Thanks for the advice, Jonathan. 3 stars 1 reviews