Turkey Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the flour is first browned it has been dextrinized.
" Best Answer: 1) When flour is heated until brown, the starch granules undergo a process known as dextrinization. Dextrins are fragments of starch molecules composed of chains of glucose molecules. When they are dissolved in water, they have a sweet taste, and contribute to the color and pleasant flavor of brown gravies. As the starch undergoes dextrinization, it loses its thickening power. Extensive dextrinization, as occurs when flour is browned with dry heat, may cut the thickening power by as much as one half. " Once I started dextrinizing the flour the result was/is an excellent tasting gravy somewhat lighter than a gravy using non-dextrinized flour.
For cooks who like to experiment try dextrinizing the APF. See what you think.
The only tricky part is understanding how much flour to use.

Interesting info Puffin.
Last year I made a large amount of med/dark roux ahead of time in anticipation of making the gravy the following day at my sons house. Good thing he had some flour in the house to make a slurry as the roux did next to nothing to thicken the gravy.

... I always cook my roux to the color I am pairing with. Beef gravy gets a darker color and turkey gets a lighter color.

My gravies get their color from the stock, not the roux. As puffin3 noted, the darker the roux, the less thickening power it has.

Last edited:
Well, it gets into the stock one way or the other. What you do with the stock after that doesn't matter. I don't see how putting some in each bowl is different from putting all of it into the stock.

You don't think a dollop of very dark drippings in the middle of a pale soup would stand out? I don't think you understand what a floater is?
Ever had a "Seabreeze"? Its a cocktail with a jigger of Myers rum on top.

My gravies get their color from the stock, not the roux. As puffin3 noted, the darker the roux, the less thickening power it has.

Mine get it from both. Roasted veggies lean towards a darker stock. Darker roux also leans to a darker end result.
Now I know you know this, but this is how you respond to my posts.

You don't think a dollop of very dark drippings in the middle of a pale soup would stand out? I don't think you understand what a floater is?
Ever had a "Seabreeze"? Its a cocktail with a jigger of Myers rum on top.

I didn't realize your turkey soup is light-colored. Mine is dark because the stock is dark.

I do know what a floater is. I also know that in order to float, a liquid has to have lower density than what it's floating on. Drippings do not have a lower density than stock, so they won't float. Unless you're making creamy turkey soup. I was assuming it was a brothy soup.

Mine get it from both. Roasted veggies lean towards a darker stock. Darker roux also leans to a darker end result.
Now I know you know this, but this is how you respond to my posts.

How do you get a pale soup from a dark stock?

I really don't know what you mean by that last comment.

I didn't realize your turkey soup is light-colored. Mine is dark because the stock is dark.

I do know what a floater is. I also know that in order to float, a liquid has to have lower density than what it's floating on. Drippings do not have a lower density than stock, so they won't float. Unless you're making creamy turkey soup. I was assuming it was a brothy soup.

How do you get a pale soup from a dark stock?

I really don't know what you mean by that last comment.

I understand about the floating or not floating part. But if I put a dollop (I'm trying to decide if I should try it) of dark drippings, it should remain somewhat visible and add to the appearance and taste of the soup? I have never tried doing this and I would hate to take those concentrated drippings and just dump them into a large pot of soup. But its looking more and more like i might just do that and do it at the end when I add the noodles.

The stock left over from thanksgiving is dark, the bones I am braising at this moment are going to produce a light colored result. I will mix them together near the end.
So to be honest, I'm not sure what color the end will be. I'm certain the addition of the drippings will for sure darken it.

The last comment was in regards to your instruction on simple technique.
Things I already know. :)

I understand about the floating or not floating part. But if I put a dollop (I'm trying to decide if I should try it) of dark drippings, it should remain somewhat visible and add to the appearance and taste of the soup? I have never tried doing this and I would hate to take those concentrated drippings and just dump them into a large pot of soup. But its looking more and more like i might just do that and do it at the end when I add the noodles.

The last comment was in regards to your instruction on simple technique.
Things I already know. :)

I don't understand why you object to adding drippings to soup, but okay. Give the "dollop" a try.

Pardon me for not being a mind reader :rolleyes: I don't know what you already know. I'm just trying to be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom