Turkey help! I'm starting to panic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
In summary - home for the holidays. I'm in charge of the turkey.

This turkey is HUUUUUUUGE (by my standards... 20 lbs. - goodness gracious, I didn't even realize they made them that big!). Christmas dinner is 5 hours from now and I just got this behemoth in the oven. Am I totally scre... in trouble? I'll never get this bird done in time, will I? Please help!

I think you're okay - according to the chart below, 5 hours is about the cooking time you need for a 20 pounder - unstuffed, 4 1/2 to 5 hours, and stuffed, 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 hours.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/turkey/techniques.html

Do you have a thermometer? Check the doneness with that, if you have one; if not, 'wiggle' the thigh and drumstick; if they're loose, - usually - the bird is done.

I'd watch the breast carefully to make sure it doesn't get too brown or dry; cover with some foil if it looks that way.

Do you have a platter large enough to hold that big fella?

Have a wonderful holiday!!

Thanks for the help! I think someone around here must have a thermometer. I know enough to not go by that "pop-up" thermometer. :rolleyes: And I didn't stuff it knowing that it increased bake-time. But since I rarely bake the whole bird, I wasn't sure about the specifics. The wrapper said 6 -7 hours (!), but I'm sure they are just covering themselves legally.

I would cook a bird this big for at least 6 hours; to make sure that you don't get the pink meat closer to the bone. You'll do alright, just take deep breaths every once in awhile.

I wanted to tell you all how it turned out. I cooked it for 4.5 hours, then it had a resting time of about 1 hour. By the time I carved it, the little plastic timer-thingy had come up.

I had several people ask me how I was able to get the Turkey so juicy and delicious. It was still warm, not hot, and quite yummy.

This is what I did... I put butter on the skin, I wrapped it up in one of those American oven baggie things, cooked it at 400 F (200 C) for 30 minutes or so and let it cook the rest of the time at a bit of a lower temp. Right before transporting it to my aunt's, I flipped it over (breast-side down).

It was a hit!! Thanks for the advice, all!!

Back
Top Bottom